Author Topic: Parking campaigner to take on Merton Council for 'curled ticket' driver  (Read 2956 times)

Nigel W

A parking campaigner who managed to claw back £1m for motorists wrongly ticketed has vowed to take on Merton Council after it fined a woman whose parking ticket “curled up”.

Nigel Wise, 59, labelled Merton Council’s decision to uphold the penalty “disgusting” and claimed its parking enforcement was unfairly “revenue driven”.

The campaigner already has an impressive record of fighting unfair penalties, having been the driving force behind Richmond Council removing mobile CCTV enforcement vehicles from the roads and refunding more than £1.1m to 18,500 motorists.

Mr Wise is taking on a new challenge in an attempt to get Merton Council to refund a parking ticket given Debbie King after her £10 ticket got wet in the rain and curled up on the windscreen obscuring the necessary details.

http://notomob.co.uk/discussions/index.php/topic,2255.0.html

http://www.yourlocalguardian.co.uk/news/9813832.Parking_campaigner_to_help__curled_ticket__driver/

As we all know it was with the Mob's assistance and support that £1.1M was refunded to motorists in Richmond.  I am sorry that the Mob were not mentioned in this article but due to my 'gagging order' I was unable to state that this was the case.
« Last Edit: 14 July, 2012, 04:37:39 PM by Nigel W »

Offline peperami gsxr

• Follower
  • bexley-notomob@live.co.uk
Nigel, good luck with this. Your doing this in your name, and good on you. You have put so much time and effort in things in the past, and i hope you carry on all the time you wish to. 

Things have got messy, and there are lessons there for all of us.
Sworn to fun, loyalty to none

Offline The Phoenix

• Follower
Merton will, no doubt, rely upon the following such cases:

http://keycases.parkingandtrafficappeals.gov.uk/docs/BAK673.pdf

As opposed to this:  http://www.trafficpenaltytribunal.gov.uk/site/scripts/documents_info.php?documentID=132&pageNumber=5

I do know of one case in Richmond under the previous regime where the appeal was successful (informal challenge, rather) because they accepted that condensation had adversely impaired the effectiveness of the glue on the ticket as it had fallen down and could not be seen.

« Last Edit: 14 July, 2012, 10:07:15 PM by The Phoenix »
The Patas Monkey has a remarkably high reproductive rate, perhaps as an evolutionary response to the high adult mortality rates associated with this strongly terrestrial lifestyle.  Not to be confused with the Patas Adjudicator - a species yet to be studied.  Use extreme caution: it's  unpredictable

Nigel W

The matter is still being dealt with.  My contact with Council Officers and Councillors on both sides is continuing.  My contact with councillor Jeff Hanna who is now making waves has been invaluable.

An official letter will be sent to the Parking Department requesting a refund.  If no refund is made a letter will be sent to the Chief Executive regarding maladministration.

This will be followed up if necessary by a complaint to the Local Government Ombudsman.

Richmond Council are not alone in cancelling tickets in these circumstances.  Several other councils do so including 'fluttering tickets.'
« Last Edit: 15 July, 2012, 07:09:49 AM by Nigel W »

Offline The Phoenix

• Follower
The LGO route is lengthy as it involves exhausting the complaints process of the council first.  What maladministration are you claiming in this instance?  I would consider a small claims application - both for  a refund of the charge plus the ticket purchased.
The Patas Monkey has a remarkably high reproductive rate, perhaps as an evolutionary response to the high adult mortality rates associated with this strongly terrestrial lifestyle.  Not to be confused with the Patas Adjudicator - a species yet to be studied.  Use extreme caution: it's  unpredictable

Nigel W

I accept that the LGO route is lengthy. The councils complaint procedure can also be lengthy. I have been through it before.  Three stages of complaint to finally get my expenses of £186:00 for the preparation of my evidence for a DNC'd appeal.

That is why I now never give them the chance of a DNC before a hearing is opened. 

Offline The Phoenix

• Follower
Hey, Nigel, you agree with me.  I must be "arrogant"!   :pmsl:

Offline BAILIFFCHASER

• Follower
Why is nigel showing up as a guest ?

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player