Author Topic: Medway - Chatham bus lane - TPT state "...the contravention did not occur"  (Read 31781 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Re: Medway - Chatham bus lane - TPT state "...the contravention did not occur"
« Reply #30 on: 25 January, 2013, 02:47:27 PM »
Hi

Medway council have recently added a photo of the chatham bus station to their flickr feed...

Shall I add a comment and link to here or to BE's rather excellent letter page...?

Posted to Flickr    January 24, 2013 at 1.51PM GMT
Taken on    October 10, 2011 at 11.11AM GMT

http://www.flickr.com/photos/medwaycouncil/8410365431/##meta/in/photostream

I'm asking as not sure of the web / forum etiquette  <_>

Paul

Why not do both Paul?
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline robocop

• Follower
« Reply #31 on: 18 February, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
Hi All.

I too got a £30/60 fine for going through this bus route on the 24th November. Stupidly and sadly I paid this as soon as I got it, to avoid the extra £30 fine. I can't afford £30 now and I certainly couldn't afford it then.

I know someone already asked this, but what chances of them paying back my £30 and what can I do to help this cause?

I don't think I had ever been to Chatham before that day, certainly I have never driven there. I like between Ashford and Maidstone.

Offline robocop

• Follower
« Reply #32 on: 18 February, 2013, 04:59:50 PM »
By the way, the girl on KMFM was talking this morning about how she has been hit 3 times by this fine. This is what reminded me of my fine, and prompted me to google the situation.

EDW2000

« Reply #33 on: 18 February, 2013, 07:15:39 PM »
Hi All.

I too got a £30/60 fine for going through this bus route on the 24th November. Stupidly and sadly I paid this as soon as I got it, to avoid the extra £30 fine. I can't afford £30 now and I certainly couldn't afford it then.

I know someone already asked this, but what chances of them paying back my £30 and what can I do to help this cause?

I don't think I had ever been to Chatham before that day, certainly I have never driven there. I like between Ashford and Maidstone.

email and ask for a refund.

they will refuse

Offline robocop

• Follower
« Reply #34 on: 19 February, 2013, 09:27:58 AM »

email and ask for a refund.

they will refuse
Not the most helpful advice ever but thanks all the same.

Anything I can do to help the cause, other than getting out on the streets of medway with a camera? (rather far from me)

EDW2000

« Reply #35 on: 19 February, 2013, 01:15:03 PM »
You have no legal options, once you have paid that is it. Game over.

Offline melville-vs-medway

• Follower
  • The new word is NO..
    • My NoToMob $camera signs
« Reply #36 on: 19 February, 2013, 02:06:45 PM »
You have no legal options, once you have paid that is it. Game over.

Hi EDW2000

I kind of think now is the time to make a challenge on this "admission of guilt" seeing as appeals have been successful. Robocop was forced to make a payment under duress for fear of the fine escalating...  ;)

Isn't that WHY councils add the 50% discount to ensure victims pay up...

Hi Robocop..

Some good info here for future reference.. Pass it on to friends etc so others might have a chance to fight them.

http://www.ticketfighter.co.uk/appeals.htm

NoToMob are not the only ones onto this PCN cash cow for councils.

http://www.penaltychargenotice.co.uk/news/ Shocking just how much money this makes for councils.
Check out my signs.. I have made a few copies and they're laminated..

http://paulsweb.hostei.com/notomob/signs/a4-printed-sign.jpg

EDW2000

« Reply #37 on: 19 February, 2013, 02:45:19 PM »
You have no one left to appeal to once you have paid.

I dont think the High Court would hear the case.

• Follower
  • The new word is NO..
« Reply #38 on: 19 February, 2013, 04:09:44 PM »
Hi EDW2000

I'm sure somewhere I've read of payments being snatched back through credit card companies.
Think it was something to do with not receiving a receipt for payment.. It would have been back in 2008 I read it on the web on a site like Honest John or similar. Searching for it now is so hard with all the councils websites having PCN details...  ::)))

Offline robocop

• Follower
« Reply #39 on: 19 February, 2013, 05:30:43 PM »
Hi Robocop..

Some good info here for future reference.. Pass it on to friends etc so others might have a chance to fight them.

http://www.ticketfighter.co.uk/appeals.htm

NoToMob are not the only ones onto this PCN cash cow for councils.

http://www.penaltychargenotice.co.uk/news/ Shocking just how much money this makes for councils.

Thanks Melville. I'll have a read of those. As someone who hasn't heard a lot about this, what success rate are people having with fighting these charges?

EDW2000

« Reply #40 on: 19 February, 2013, 06:02:07 PM »
Hi EDW2000

I'm sure somewhere I've read of payments being snatched back through credit card companies.
Think it was something to do with not receiving a receipt for payment.. It would have been back in 2008 I read it on the web on a site like Honest John or similar. Searching for it now is so hard with all the councils websites having PCN details...  ::)))

A visa charge back would lead to the bailiffs.

Offline PhilT

• Follower
I fell for this crap a couple of weeks ago, collecting my daughter from Uni.

Get to the end of Medway street and was confronted with two bus lane signs to the right and left, a pedestrian area straight ahead and a silly loop road thing to the left bringing me back to effectively the same place. WTF !

As I wanted to get to the Historic Dockyard I turned left and got a ticket in the post. I noticed that to the right the road surface was correctly marked as a Bus Lane, but to the left was not. A police car also happened to amble along from the left.

I shall be appealing I think.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
I fell for this crap a couple of weeks ago, collecting my daughter from Uni.

Get to the end of Medway street and was confronted with two bus lane signs to the right and left, a pedestrian area straight ahead and a silly loop road thing to the left bringing me back to effectively the same place. WTF !

As I wanted to get to the Historic Dockyard I turned left and got a ticket in the post. I noticed that to the right the road surface was correctly marked as a Bus Lane, but to the left was not. A police car also happened to amble along from the left.

I shall be appealing I think.

Appeal it mate, and if they don't accept your appeal at the council stage, take it to the TPT. The council are shit scared that the TPT will rule that the whole scheme is unenforceable and I can pretty much guarantee they won't let it get that far.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

• Follower
  • The new word is NO..
Hi...

Here we go PhilT.... add this to your challenge and say you were directed this way and mislead by the signage..  ::)))

I posted this on the NoToMobFacebook page..

The traffic signs from Rochester, Corporation Street are still directing drivers to the dockyard along the Rochester / Chatham High street. Surely if drivers are then re-directed to continue past Medway St and up Manor Rd it would be better and safer to send them via the A2 up Star Hill.

Hi... I'm sure this sign directs traffic to the Chatham Dockyard along the Chatham High Street from Rochester.

It directs Gillingham and Rainham traffic via the A2...
And dockyard traffic in the other lane which would be the high street...

Have a look I've linked to the google street map and I'm sure the sign is still there..

http://goo.gl/maps/fhH5Y

And here road markings clearly show the A2 as straight on up Star Hill so the Dockyard sign would be the Rochester / Chatham High street into Chatham town center which is probably why so many drivers get confused and lost when they reach the Chatham Bus station and get caught out by the $cameras..

These show just how fractured, incomplete and unreliable the signage is all around here in Medway because of this bus station and the inept planning by the "money grabbing stoopid numpties" at the council

http://goo.gl/maps/N9mxc

And I cycled into Chatham today and took the scenic route of New Rd and down Manor Rd and it's in a terrible state. Manor Rd just cannot cope with the traffic along with parking either side and the road surface is pot-holed and worn out so bad it's dangerous. The surface is broken up and loose and an accident waiting to happen if a car should need to brake hard and emergency stop.

Every time I cycle down Manor Rd I come across cars turning into Manor Rd from the high St and cutting the corner at the bottom because it's a sharp turn and pretty much a blind corner with the buildings, being so narrow and the two roads don't meet at 90' degrees.

« Last Edit: 08 June, 2013, 06:01:10 AM by melville-vs-medway »

Offline aruna56

• Civilian
Just got a bus lane pcn while trying to get to Dickens World on 24 May 2013.... was just following the sat nav. Am not familiar with the town and it was meant to be a  birthday treat for my 87 year old Aunt Got the notice 2 days ago    :'( and was  wondering if i should appeal given that so many people have had a similar notice. Please advice.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player