Author Topic: Medway - Chatham bus lane - TPT state "...the contravention did not occur"  (Read 31791 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Just got a bus lane pcn while trying to get to Dickens World on 24 May 2013.... was just following the sat nav. Am not familiar with the town and it was meant to be a  birthday treat for my 87 year old Aunt Got the notice 2 days ago    :'( and was  wondering if i should appeal given that so many people have had a similar notice. Please advice.

Please see my reply #42 above aruna56. And if you do appeal it, please let us know how you get on. Also, we can help if you like. I'm sure there are plenty of members who would be willing to help if you ask.

Most of us don't bite, although if I were you, I wouldn't get your fingers too close to Killswitch's mouth when he's tucking in to one of his heart attack on a plate breakfasts. ;D
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
Most of us don't bite, although if I were you, I wouldn't get your fingers too close to Killswitch's mouth when he's tucking in to one of his heart attack on a plate breakfasts. ;D

Damn right
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline bertiebear

• Civilian
Just wanted to say a big thank you.

In may we were visiting chatham docks, following satnav, watching the road when 2 guys in yellow jackets flagged us down. They advised us about the bus lane we had just entered... explained the local protests and gave us a NOTO MOB card. So when the penalty arrived, we used the info on this site to wite an appropriate response.

We also added in that Stroud (glos) has a bus station right on its msain road through the town without feeling the need to ban cars for revenue ..sorry  "health and safety" reasons. Cheltenham also has its bus station alongside a key road.

The fine was cancelled but it took 3 weeks to get a response.  :dancing:
So thank you very much Guys.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Good for you bertie. One less victim of the traffic taliban is always good news.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
when 2 guys in yellow jackets flagged us down.

;)

It's what we do (amongst other things).

Your thanks is gratefully received bertiebear. It is nice to know we are appreciated.

Thank you.

By the way, this ain't finished by any means. There are many thousands more who have been wronged and we will be bringing this to the attention of the appropriate authorities shortly.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline melville-vs-medway

• Follower
  • The new word is NO..
    • My NoToMob $camera signs

By the way, this ain't finished by any means. There are many thousands more who have been wronged and we will be bringing this to the attention of the appropriate authorities shortly.

Hi BE,

There would be so many more if we didn't help out here...

I walk into Chatham to shop and often get the bus back home and my pickup stop is right by the Argos car park, so I sit on the wall at the junction of Medway St and Waterfront Way. For the best part the motorists who arrive here are lost and confused by the signs and directions. I know this because I ask them when I re-direct them back to the High St and Manor Rd...

From Rochester and Strood they are directed here by the signs and road markings at the junction of Corporation St and Star Hill.

Myself like many motorists have a natural compass and when entering Medway St you can see the river medway through the Staples car park and once here you know the dockyard is not far along the river. I've assisted drivers visiting Chatham for appointments at the Job Centre, Specsavers and shows at The Chatham Theater. These people aren't thugs or criminals and for the best part they've been polite and grateful for the advice and none I would consider knuckle dragging morons.. And it's not just SatNav it's the signs and road markings leading them here..
« Last Edit: 03 July, 2013, 06:59:30 AM by melville-vs-medway »
Check out my signs.. I have made a few copies and they're laminated..

http://paulsweb.hostei.com/notomob/signs/a4-printed-sign.jpg

Offline JasPCN

• Follower
Hi,
I am afraid I am another victim. I don't know the area well at all, I travelled up to take my girlfriend to Fort Amherst and my sat nav took me all the way down Medway Street. Arriving at the end of Medway Street I was confronted with a completely obvious bus lane to the right, what looked like a private car park to some offices in front (with a pedestrian zone crossing it??) and a bus station to the left. My sat nav was shouting at me to go left... I saw the bus lane signs to the left, in front and up ahead. But with clearly no other options I presumed that these were for the second part of the station, (you know, where its split in half by that building, I presumed that the signs were for the second road) SO I turned left down the small road with the brick effect surface and then turned left again through the station.

I was genuinely confused and did not know what to do or where to go! I didn't know what law I was contravening though the direction I was going didn't feel right, so I just continued very slowly and very carefully until I got out!

Now I get the fine!

I have looked at google maps now and yes all the signs are obvious, but even looking on maps now, I still don't know which way I am supposed to go????

And this is all coming from someone who has received professional driver training on the level of A.I.M!

I will be contesting this... I do hope some of you may be able to help me with 'best tactics'

Thanks.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
@JasPCN

First of all, when did you commit the alleged contravention? They have changed all of the signs and lines recently and it is important to establish which regime was in place when you are supposed to have committed this most heinous crime (I hope you can recognise sarcasm when you see it :D).
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline JasPCN

• Follower
Oh yes, sarcasm noted! It was the 4th of this month... I am in no doubt that the signs were there, but still, it's utterly ridiculous. ::)))

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
Since you received this ticket on the 4th of this month you will have been confronted by the new road layout, pictures of which are here.

http://notomob.co.uk/discussions/index.php/topic,2863.0.html

During November and December 2012 the Traffic Penalty Tribunal gave decisions which essentially ruled the existing scheme unlawful. If you had received your ticket under the old scheme you would certainly have got away with it on that basis.

However, because we now have this new scheme in place it is basically back to square one, and any ticket challenged at TPT will be adjudicated upon as if this was a new bus lane.

As far as tactics go may I suggest just being truthful. Your first post sums up your thoughts perfectly. Stick with it. It's your best defence.

Also, if you can persuade the adjudicator to do a site inspection I am sure it would help your cause. It is my opinion that this whole system is still a mess, but when it comes down to it my opinion counts for naught. If the adjudicator comes down on your side then all well and good. If not, then at least everyone who makes the mistake after you can be advised accordingly.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline JasPCN

• Follower
Thank you for all your help. Looking at those photos, I mean Jesus... The road markings are horrendous! As a driver, driving in an area you are not familiar with, you try to take in everything, directional signage, safety signage, road markings, pedestrians and other road users whilst making sure your speed is right etc. Arriving at that junction is total sensory overload, you have lines upon lines, even now I don't know what they bloody mean!

I am going to appeal stating this and explaining how I was there for the first time and as a tourist (ironically putting money into Chatham, I was planning on going back to the dockyard, but sod that now). I am going to explain how it was a genuine mistake. If they do not allow it, I am going to then ask EDW2000 who posted item 23 on this thread for his/her ticket number and go back to them saying, how can you have one rule for one and another for me?

I am considering attaching to my email the photo of the Police car (note, not with it's emergency lights activated) doing exactly what I did. Surely with their level of law knowledge and driver training, if they are making the same mistake as me, there must be something wrong!

Thanks again!

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Personally, I wouldn't include the bit about the Police vehicle as they will have an exemption for patrolling (as well as emergency) purposes, but it's your appeal.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
Personally, I wouldn't include the bit about the Police vehicle as they will have an exemption for patrolling (as well as emergency) purposes, but it's your appeal.

I would sling it in anyway. If someone sees a police car performing the same manoeuvre without blues and twos, how is a reasonable person supposed to know what is in a TMO?
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower

I would sling it in anyway. If someone sees a police car performing the same manoeuvre without blues and twos, how is a reasonable person supposed to know what is in a TMO?

A good point, well presented  8)

Offline JasPCN

• Follower
So they rejected my appeal... Makes me laugh, they are willing to do over a visitor to the town even though I am investing my money into the area by visiting it's sights, all for a quick buck for them. Just leaves a bad flavour in my mouth and means I won't return to Chatham.

Round 2 then.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player