Author Topic: DVLA admits Standards 'required' for ATA status are merely guidance  (Read 1719 times)

EDW2000

So then, as expected, the DVLA's Accredited Trade Associations (ATA), Standards required to obtain ATA status: are not standards at all. They are merely 'guidance', which in effect, means they can be completely ignored and the DVLA will still grant ATA status if the standards are not met.

Here is a copy & paste from DVLA's Mark Lewis email to me today. I have emailed Mr Lewis a follow-up

With regard to your issue with the current BPA Code of Practice containing no specific reference to obtaining keeper details and ATA information on signage, as set out above the ATA criteria document is primarily intended for guidance purposes. This issue has since been raised with both ATA’s, and we take the view that the signage standards in the respective codes are appropriate in terms of maintaining standards. This is subject of course to ongoing monitoring as part of the Agency’s usual procedures with both ATA’s.

Basically the BPA does not care what it members do and the DVLA does not care what the BPA, as an ATA does. The DVLA does not even think that AOS members need to use signs which comply with the 'Standards required'.

Nice one, DVLA.

« Last Edit: 13 November, 2013, 02:12:42 PM by EDW2000 »

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Re: DVLA admits Standards 'required' for ATA status are merely guidance
« Reply #1 on: 13 November, 2013, 04:38:13 PM »
That's an interesting document EDW. The word 'should' only appears twice yet the word 'must' appears an impressive 30 times. That doesn't fit with my understanding of 'guidance.' But then I'm not creaming £2.50 off the top of every betrayal. They MUST be having a turkish.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

EDW2000

« Reply #2 on: 13 November, 2013, 06:10:19 PM »
I have asked Mark Lewis why the document uses 'must' but Mark thinks 'must' means 'should'.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #3 on: 14 November, 2013, 12:46:52 PM »
Mark Lewis offering his interpretation of the word "must" in a legal sense, is like Katie Price offering her interpretation of Stephen Hawking's "A Brief History of Time" based on her knowledge of astrophysics, black holes, dark matter and string theory.

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #4 on: 14 November, 2013, 01:25:05 PM »
I'll bet she's been 'satisfied' more times than the f :o cking council!

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player