Author Topic: Cornwall Council issue parking fine to mercy dash nurse.  (Read 4009 times)

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Cornwall Council issue parking fine to mercy dash nurse.
« on: 30 June, 2014, 09:36:33 PM »
Parking wea$els are well known for being completely heartless but the bottom feeding $cumbag$ in our next story have a special place in hell reserved especially for them,

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/common-sense-parking-penalty/story-21180742-detail/story.html

A GOVERNMENT minister has criticised Cornwall Council over its handling of a £70 parking fine imposed on a nurse as she tried to help a cancer patient who was dying in agony.

Linda Irwin was given a ticket while she parked in an empty Wadebridge taxi rank in February, while collecting pain relief medication from Boots the chemist.

The council has never disputed the facts but, despite considering a letter from Mrs Irwin's manager, supporting her actions, is still pursuing her to pay the fine.

Mrs Irwin is now taking her case to the Traffic Penalty Tribunal. She accepts that she was parked illegally, and has offered to pay £70 to cancer research charities, but believes she should challenge the council on a point of principle.

This week local government minister Brandon Lewis MP, when asked specifically about Mrs Irwin's case, criticised Cornwall Council and promised to issue new guidance to prevent similar cases in future. He said the council's behaviour had been disproportionate and lacked common sense.

"We've been clear that councils should apply appropriate exemptions and waivers for professional care workers engaged in urgent or emergency healthcare, and we intend to make that crystal clear in new guidance to councils," he told the Cornish Guardian.

"It is disappointing that Cornwall Council has not applied some common sense and sense of proportion in this case. Local authorities should not use parking as a tax or cash cow."

Mrs Irwin, supported by witnesses, says she parked in the empty taxi rank for only three minutes. She says that despite her explanation, a traffic warden insisted on giving her a ticket. She accepts that she could have used a car park behind Boots, but believes that this would have caused a patient to spend an additional 15-20 minutes in unnecessary pain.

"I never set out to break parking regulations," said Mrs Irwin, from St Mabyn. "But I was in a hurry because I knew someone was in great pain. On the spur of the moment I spotted an opportunity to reduce the length of time they were in pain – my parking caused no inconvenience to anyone because the taxi rank was completely empty – and I explained all of this to the traffic warden. My dispute with the council is not about money, it's about principle."

Bert Biscoe, the council's Cabinet member responsible for traffic and parking issues, declined to comment.
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline scalyback

• Follower
Re: Cornwall Council issue parking fine to mercy dash nurse.
« Reply #1 on: 30 June, 2014, 10:05:25 PM »
my question is,

If she had parked illegally to help a parking weasel who was dying of a heart attack, but he still managed to write her a ticket, would Cornwall council still refuse the appeal?

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #2 on: 01 July, 2014, 12:05:05 PM »
"Bert Biscoe, the council's Cabinet member responsible for traffic and parking issues, declined to comment."

At least he has learned the first lesson in politics - when you're in a hole, stop digging.

However, if he doesn't step in and sort this out by cancelling the ticket and apologising, he does (as Ewan points out), deserve a place in hell, hopefully alongside Judas on the seventh level.

Bert Biscoe and his Cornwall crew (which incidentally was one of only three councils outside London that featured in last year's top ten earners in the country) are the reason why I got into this protesting lark in the first place. While Bert and his like exist I will never be convinced that it's not

ALL ABOUT THE MONEY
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #3 on: 22 October, 2014, 01:00:41 PM »
Bert Biscoe and his crew (see my previous post) have been described as "heartless" by a TPT adjudicator.

I can think of many ways to describe Mr Biscoe and "heartless" is way down the list in terms of derogatory comments I could make about him.

<Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry>

---------------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.cornishguardian.co.uk/Nurse-helping-dying-patient-wins-parking-fine/story-23304259-detail/story.html

St Mabyn nurse wins appeal over parking fine for helping dying patient

NORTH Cornwall nurse Linda Irwin has won her appeal against a parking fine issued while she was on her way to help a dying patient.

Traffic penalty tribunal adjudicator Mackenzie Robinson was sharply critical of Cornwall Council's handling of the case, describing officials as "heartless".

The council this week apologised and accepted it had "got it wrong".

Ms Irwin, from St Mabyn, was given the £70 fixed penalty notice in February while parked in an empty taxi rank outside Boots the Chemist for only three minutes.

She was collecting pain-relief drugs for a patient who was in the final stages of life. She was supported by a letter from her manager at the care home where she is a nurse.

At a traffic penalty tribunal hearing in Truro last week, Ms Irwin said the facts of the case were not in dispute, but she challenged the way Cornwall Council had interpreted its own guidelines for medical emergencies.

The council, which in July prepared a 44-page dossier to help pursue the fine, said Ms Irwin's circumstances did not meet its criteria for a medical emergency, which typically involves dealing with lifesaving situations.

The council's own civil parking enforcement procedures, however, does advocate parking enforcement leniency of up to ten minutes for motorists who have to deal with crying children in their cars.

Ms Irwin said she accepted that she was not trying to save a life, but insisted she was part of a medical emergency response. After the hearing, she said she would now give £70 to a local cancer charity.

"Common sense has prevailed," she said. "I am so relieved this is now over. It has taken eight months, and goodness knows how much time, effort and money the council has spent trying to defend its position.

"I would like to thank all the people who have supported me. I have always said that I would give the £70 to a cancer charity and that is what I am now going to do."

Tribunal adjudicator Mr Robinson said that Cornwall Council was guilty of "procedural improprieties" for failing to properly articulate its reasons for rejecting Ms Irwin's original appeal. The council had not recognised the nature of the emergency, describing Ms Irwin's trip to the chemists as simply "loading or unloading".

Mr Robinson added that if the council had attempted to detail its reasons for rejecting the medical circumstances, "it would have seemed pretty heartless".

Delivering his judgement, he told Ms Irwin: "It is not enough for the council simply to say that it sympathises with an appellant, it must explain why. But this was clearly not simply a case of loading or unloading some boxes. The council did not take the steps it should have done, and that is why I find that there was a procedural impropriety.

"The council's letter should have said what the individual circumstances were. It should have dealt with the specifics of the pain relief, and taken into account that you were parked in an empty taxi rank – there was no obstruction, and no harm caused.

"The council would have seemed pretty heartless if it had actually articulated its reasons for rejecting your initial appeal.

"I don't believe the council properly demonstrated the discretion it should have exercised."

Mr Robinson later added, in his written judgement, that the earliest possible application of pain relief for someone in the final stages of life might have been critical for other family members hoping to have a final conversation with a relative.

Cornwall Council, which had earlier refused to disclose how much it had spent trying to pursue Ms Irwin, apologised and accepted that it had misjudged the case.

"We will review our procedures in the light of this decision, but would assure people that we already have the freedom to consider any case as a medical emergency."

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 22 October, 2014, 11:00:11 PM »
 <Swearyrant>
Is there no limit to the disgusting behaviour of these damnable councils? It seems not! I hope one day that one of these people find themselves on the wrong end of the parking $cam! In the meantime  <Flogging>

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #5 on: 22 October, 2014, 11:37:24 PM »
44 PAGES IN AN ATTEMPT TO JUSTIFY THIS OUTRAGE!

HOW MUCH PUBLIC MONEY WAS SPENT ON THIS FFS!!!!!!!!??????

<bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2>

ALL ABOUT THE MONEY
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #6 on: 22 October, 2014, 11:55:04 PM »
It's amazing the lengths these filthy wea$els will go to in order to milk their favourite ca$h cow.

"Every industry has an end product and the end product of this one is human misery" The Bald Eagle - Parking Mad.

……………...I hope one day that one of these people find themselves on the wrong end of the parking $cam!……………….

Weasels will be weasels……………….

http://www.leicestermercury.co.uk/officers-involved-cancelling-councillor-s-parking/story-13224648-detail/story.html
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player