Author Topic: NoToMob help Met Police to end joint roadside operations with council bailiffs  (Read 8935 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
The NoToMob would like to thank the Metropolitan Police for not only listening to our concerns and accepting our evidence for consideration, but also for taking action in line with their duty of care to the public.

The NoToMob will now concentrate its efforts on bringing to account the only two parties who benefitted financially from these operations, namely the local authorities and the bailiffs/enforcement agents acting on their behalf.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Met ends roadside checks involving bailiffs

Deniz Huseyin

The Metropolitan Police Service (MPS) has announced it will no longer carry out roadside checks involving bailiff firms after a review took into account issues relating to “the legal position” and “trust and confidence in the police”. The checks had been suspended since May when campaign group NoToMob raised concerns about the operations.

It emerged that the MPS had not been following its own standard operating procedure, which states that roadside checks should only be carried out to pursue criminal warrants. NoToMob said it found that roadside checks in more than half of London boroughs mostly involved pursuing civil warrants such as unpaid parking debt.

The MPS ANPR Programme Board decided to review roadside stops after acknowledging there was a “risk in the potential for ill-planned operations, inadequate briefings and some civil enforcement agents inadvertently pushing the boundaries”. It said that vehicles could be stopped at the request of the bailiff with the “reasons not being made clear to drivers”. There was also the danger of vehicles being stopped for a policing purpose and then being “handed over” to the bailiff without an ”explanation to the driver”. This, said the board, would lead to a loss of trust and confidence in the MPS.

As part of the review of roadside stops, the MPS carried out workshops, which were attended by NoToMob. In a letter to “interested parties involved in the review process”, dated 16 December, MPS Commander Richard Martin said: “Having taken into account the legal position, stakeholder input, trust and confidence in the police and frontline policing practices, the Met will no longer undertake roadside operations with bailiffs. We trust this brings the matter to a conclusion for all involved.”

In a letter to Met Commissioner Bernard Hogan-Howe in April, NoToMob’s Graeme Jones stated: “I am given to understand that the cost of the Met side of these operations is borne by local tax payers through the local authority whilst the bailiff side of the operation is done free to the local authority. I think the public would be most concerned to know that their taxes are being used in connection with the Met for the recovery of civil parking and traffic debt.”

http://www.transportxtra.com/magazines/parking_review/news/?id=40075

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
I love it when a plan comes together.  <Yes!>  <Yes!>  <Yes!>  <Yes!>  <Yes!>  <Yes!>  <Yes!>
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Boyo

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
What a fantastic result!  <Mexicanwave>
To think that the Police were being used as a tool to fulfill the parking industry's own ends is unconscionable.
Great work and kudos to the Met too for acting as they have.
Well done all  :aplude:  :aplude:  :aplude:
"To no man will we sell, or deny, or delay right or justice" - from the Magna Carta

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Parking News………..

<served>
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline rs2k

• Follower
Well done all. Good result :) used to see a lot of these when was driving through London. Every time I had a sick feeling

Offline Tom Tom Str

• Follower
Congratulations to all  involved in this ending of a Plot that was again pretty much no more than "Highway Robbery" Great Work indeed  !!   :aplude: :aplude: :aplude: :aplude:       Have seen these Bailiff operations on TV several times now and felt very uneasy about the use of the Police Service and the ANPR systems being used in these Big Brother combined tactics.
 It's also hardly right that just 2 unpaid  £60 parking tickets can turn into a debt of some £550 plus and then remove from a person at the Roadside their vehicle and sole source of Livliehood  ?   :o :o  I guess that's another matter though, but the stress on people who can very often ill afford to pay these fines in the first place in support of an Industry that is a licence to print money Beggars belief.   <Swearyangry> <Swearyangry>
This is nothing to do with The Bedroom Tax scenario I know but there 's a Parallel & People's lives are being wrecked on a daily basis by these Enforcement schemes. It's about time that Highway Robbery was itself Outlawed altogether !

I'm still proud to be associated with the NoToMob... Keep up the good work everyone !!   <dancingbanana2> <dancingbanana2>

Offline spica

• Follower
  • yeah baby yeah
Yay go mob
If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything

$chunting is like fox hunting but with a better Outcome

Offline Marmite

• Follower
That's great news, we need to get back into the swing of it.  My bike hasn't chased a scar in months, in fact not even been used for months....lol.  We are always spreading the word of the mob so hopefully getting more members online.

Offline spica

• Follower
  • yeah baby yeah
I need a good $chunt lol
If you don't stand for something you will fall for anything

$chunting is like fox hunting but with a better Outcome

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
The Bald Eagle will soon be running $chunters Anonymous meetings on Saturdays. People who are hopelessly addicted to assisting local authorities to hit their targets of 100% compliance with no PCNs issued will be able to go along to the meetings and fuel their obsession. First time $chunters will be invited to stand up in front of the group and say, "My username is [your username] and I am a $chuntaholic". The rest of the group will then applaud you. $A sessions, coming to a honeypot near you.

<Look>
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
I am humbled by the power of the NoToMob and the very tenacious individuals that make this such a powerful championof the public against the faceless &  untill now unaccountable Authorities.  <Notworthy> <Notworthy> <Notworthy>
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Overlord

• Follower
Brilliant work! Congratulations to all concerned. Thank heavens we have such dedicated and what's more, knowledgeable people in our organisation.
 <Yes!> <Yes!> <Yes!> <Yes!>

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
Watch this space people. Hollywood superstar Gerard Butler is on hand to give you a little taster of what's to come.

EDW2000

Not before the bailiff low-life pocketed a nice few bob.

I told you I would nail these turds.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Recognition of our efforts over at Money Saving Expert. ;D

http://forums.moneysavingexpert.com/showthread.php?t=5146409
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player