Author Topic: Coventry- Parking the target of 'enforcers' [new cctv/anpr car begins operation]  (Read 2213 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
It struck me that it was daft for Coventry council to buy such an expensive piece of kit when the government are about to ban them from issuing tickets, other than under a license to operate outside schools (and other specific areas).

After all, if there is a problem at a particular school they could always have sent a CEO down on a scooter, or even have a fixed camera mounted on a pole. Then I read the pen-ultimate paragraph of the article and everything fell into place.

Along with monitoring outside schools, the vehicle will also patrol known parking ‘hot-spots’ throughout the city, in areas where it isn’t always viable or practical for foot patrols to visit.

So there you have it. The $car will drive around all day using its anpr system to identify where illegal parking is taking place, and where it is, a scooter or foot patrol CEO will be despatched to put a ticket on the offending vehicle.

This is the council's attempt to circumvent the law.  <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy:

Don't worry though. We're on it. ;)

-------------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.coventryobserver.co.uk/2015/01/31/news-Parking-the-target-of-enforcers-125285.html

Parking the target of 'enforcers'

COVENTRY City Council has announced plans to tackle the issue of illegal and dangerous parking outside schools with the use of a CCTV ‘enforcement vehicle’.

Enforcement officers will use the vehicle on patrols each morning and afternoon at the city’s schools, photographing any offending vehicles that park on the zig-zag lines or 'keep clear' sections of the roads.

Drivers whose vehicle has been photographed with the Automatic Number Plate Recognition camera (ANPR) contravening these rules, will be issued with a fixed penalty charge notice.

The roads outside school entrances are clearly marked and painted with the zig-zags and 'keep clear' areas for the safety of both children and parents.

Vehicles are not permitted to park or stop on these marked areas for any period of time, but these regulations are regularly ignored putting the lives of children in clear danger.

One of the biggest causes of accidents and injuries involving children outside school are cars parked in these areas blocking sight lines and forcing children to step out into the road to cross -potentially into the path of oncoming vehicles.

With the numbers of vehicles dropping off and collecting children from schools increasing, the council has taken the decision to introduce the ANPR system which will work in tandem with the Civil Enforcement Officers (CEO’s) who will also patrol on foot.

The ANPR vehicle will be able to visit more school sites across the city and provide a quicker response than officers on foot.

Coun Rachel Lancaster, Cabinet Member for Public Services said: “The ongoing issue of dangerous parking outside schools is becoming more and more of a problem of safety for both children and parents.

“The time has now come to do everything we can to combat this problem and the ANPR vehicle is something that we feel has the possibility of making a real difference in tackling the number of drivers clearly breaking the regulations of parking near school entrances.

"The message is clear and straight forward – if you break the rules on parking near schools which are in place to keep our children safe, then there will be no hiding place and you will receive a ticket and a fine.”

Along with monitoring outside schools, the vehicle will also patrol known parking ‘hot-spots’ throughout the city, in areas where it isn’t always viable or practical for foot patrols to visit.

The ANPR vehicle began service on Monday (January 19).

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Maybe they're counting on the De-Regulation Bill not becoming Law?

This is looking (IMHO) increasingly likely if you look at the Parliamentary timetable:-

Parliament will dissolve on 30th March, and last time I looked, the Bill was still in the Report Stage in the House of Lords, after which it has to go back to both Houses for ammendments to be approved/rejected and both House have to agree on the exact wording, after which it has to get Royal Assent. There is no set time for either the Report Stage or the ammendment stage and there is no set time between ammendments and Royal Assent. Parliament goes not sit at weekends, so there are about 40 days left. Even if the Bill does become Law, it only gives the relevant Secretary of State the power to make regulations - it doesn't compel him to do so, and I beleve there is an exemption allowing MEVs to be used outside Schools.

I do hope I'm wrong about all this, especially after all the hard work that's been done, but I'll be keeping the champers on ice for the time being.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player