Author Topic: Proof that ANPR cameras in car parks don't work  (Read 148776 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Re: Proof that ANPR cameras in car parks don't work
« Reply #180 on: 12 August, 2019, 08:38:36 AM »
Family fined despite never parking at notorious Plymouth car park

Britannia Parking fined the Fell family £100 for queuing in a car park - the company has since decided to drop the matter altogether

Happy family - Hannah and Andrew Fell with their six-year-old daughter Olivia

A couple were left in disbelief after they were fined £100 by a private parking firm - for spending too long queuing for a space in a car park.

Hannah and Andrew Fell thought it would be a lovely idea to take their six-year-old daughter Olivia to the National Marine Aquarium during their summer break away in the South West.

They drove up from their holiday cottage in Padstow, Cornwall, and thought it'd be a good idea to drop their BMW 3 Series off in Plymouth's multi-storey Harbour Car Park.

But that's when their ordeal began.

"We started queuing as we went through the door - there weren't any signs to say it was full or that there weren't any spaces available," Hannah, 42, said.

The Fell family failed to find a space in the Britannia Parking operated car park - yet still received a fine

"We went all the way up to the top of the car park, and at that point I threw my husband and daughter out, saying head on over to the aquarium whilst I try to find a space.

"It was another 20 minutes that went by before I managed to get back down again because the queue was so big."

Flustered, Hannah managed to get out and find a space at Drake Circus' car park before walking all the way back up to the aquarium to meet her family.

Hannah says she was then left in total disbelief after a £100 fine courtesy of Britannia Parking dropped through the door back home in Cambridgeshire.

Olivia thankfully still managed to enjoy a trip to the aquarium - whilst her mum tried to park the car (Image: Hannah Fell)

The firm said its cameras had clocked them travelling in at 11.50am on July 30 and leaving at 12.23pm - having not paid for a ticket.

But Hannah says she never found a space so the fine seems ridiculous.

She said she was inspired to speak out after Catherine Lovell revealed she too had been fined by Britannia Parking after failing to find a parking space at the Harbour Car Park.

The company stood by its decision to fine Ms Lovell because she had spent 50 minutes in a queue.

"I never stepped foot out of my car to park," Hannah said. "I was impacted in that I couldn't actually leave.

"I was stuck in traffic, worming my way out after I had reached the top just like everybody else, we were all trying to get out."

Hannah said she and her husband have desperately tried to appeal the fine issued to them in the post on August 9.

She said the reference number wasn't recognised online and staff weren't taking her calls.

But now it's emerged the fine isn't actually valid anymore.

Britannia Parking told Plymouth Live it has decided to cancel the Fell family's penalty charge notice after carrying out an investigation into the circumstances. But the Fell family said they had not been told until contacted by Plymouth Live.

All of our signs and procedures meet the industry’s Approved Operators Code of Conduct, including those at the Harbour Car Park in Plymouth.

“We are a reputable car park operator and manager of more than 25 years’ standing, and a member of the British Parking Association.”

https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/news/plymouth-news/family-fined-despite-never-parking-3192659

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #181 on: 13 September, 2019, 12:04:28 PM »

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Outraged mum slapped with £100 fine for visiting car park twice in one day

Paula Jeffery tried to prove to car park operators that the car visited on two separate occasions, but they refused to change the decision

Alahna Kindred
8 Jan 2019,

A FURIOUS mum was hit with a £100 parking fine after her car visited the same car park twice in one day.

Paula Jeffery left her car near a Pure Gym and left an hour later, which was within the maximum two-hour parking limit.

Paula Jeffery was slapped with a £100 fine after her car visited the same car park twice in the same day

Her husband drove the same car later that afternoon to go a Home Bargains with their children after a swimming lesson at the Carnegie Retail Park in Dunfermline, Scotland.

The family have been slapped with a £100 fine after car park operators say they exceeded the two-hour limit despite visiting on two separate occasions.

Paula, from Carnock, Fife said she gave Civil Enforcement Ltd photographic proof that their vehicle entered the car park at two different times.

She told Dunfermline Press that the company is refusing the reverse its decision.

Paula claims her vehicle left the car park and did not overstay the strict two-hour maximum limit

Paula said: “They cannot get away with this.

“They are getting money off people when they haven’t done anything wrong at all.

“I wouldn’t mind paying if I had overstayed but I didn’t.

“I could not have left my car there all afternoon as I had to be back in Carnock to get my kids from school.

"I can’t be in two places at once and they haven’t even bothered to check.”

The couple paid the fine over fears it would affect their credit rating, but Paula vows to never park there again.

The Sun Online contacted Civil Enforcement Ltd for comment.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8150011/mum-fine-visiting-park-twice-day/
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #182 on: 13 September, 2019, 12:36:07 PM »
#150 and 151

Asda-mad mum receives TWO parking charges in one week for visiting the store multiple times a day

Two people have come forward to complain about charges

A mum who received two parking fines in one week for her visits to Asda in Spondon has said the system is "barking mad".

Rae Whitehouse, 41, said she visits Asda "at least four times a day", and claims that Parking Eye cameras did not differentiate between each visit, therefore sending Ms Whitehouse charges for staying over the three hour time limit.

The Asda-lover, who is a mum-of-four from Spondon, said: "I'm always at Asda, it is like my second home.

"I go multiple times a day on the school run, passing through to get to my mum's house and at the end of the day. But I'm being punished for it.

"I've had three fines in a week now and it is so annoying. They are going to send it to someone who is just going to pay it. But I'm not paying anything. It's barking mad."

Parking Eye said the charges had all been cancelled and it has have "updated the camera settings in this car park".

Rae, who is a stay-at-home parent and carer for her mum, said she spents at least £150 week in the store.

She said the Asda manager has now registered her as a member of staff in order to stop her from receiving the charges.

But Rae insisted that she does not blame Asda for the fines, and said they "bent over backwards" to help resolve the situation.

Another aggrieved customer has demanded compensation from Parking Eye after he claims they charged him for visiting Asda in Spondon twice in one day.

Ciaran Williams, 30, says he visited his local store for petrol in the morning and for a birthday cake later that day.

He told Derbyshire Live he was sent a charge which claimed he stayed in the car park for nine hours and seven minutes.

If paid within 14 days, the charge is £40 instead of £70.

Ciaran Williams said the charge had caused him a lot of stress

Mr Williams, a Rolls-Royce engineer from Chaddesden, said: "I'm being punished for visiting Asda twice in one day. They need to get it sorted out.

"It has really stressed me out so I have asked for compensation in a letter. I'm definitely not going to pay it and I'll take them to court if I have to.

"It seems to be a regular thing at the moment and it has put me off shopping there. I am conscious that I'm going to get another one of these fines."

The customers claim that the Parking Eye cameras had not clocked them leaving the car park, which is why it thought they had stayed for up to 10 hours.

It is understood that this can happen when another car blocks the registration plate so it cannot be viewed by the camera.

A Parking Eye spokesperson said: “We have always been a member of the British Parking Association (BPA) and follow its strict code of practice in all the car parks we manage on behalf of our clients. We encourage people who have received a parking charge to appeal if they think there are mitigating circumstances.”

A spokesperson for Asda confirmed that they were investigating the issue and were pleased that the charges had been cancelled.

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/asda-mad-mum-receives-two-2120958

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #183 on: 13 September, 2019, 12:44:20 PM »

Shopper who called at Asda twice in two days is charged for staying 18 HOURS

Fury over £40 Parking Eye penalty

A Derby driver who visited Asda twice in two days was charged for parking for 18 HOURS.

John Burns, 43, from Chaddesden, said that while he was on holiday in Turkey, his step-dad Brian saw the penalty and paid it within 14 days, to make it £40 instead of £70.

But John, a train driver, said that his partner Hannah had only visited the Asda store in Spondon on August 12 for petrol and August 13 for milk and bread.

The couple believe a parking camera thought the car had stayed for the entire time between the two trips.

Parking Eye said there was a "severe failure" at the car park on August 12, and customers who were wrongly fined will have their charge cancelled.

John said: “My stepdad has just been made redundant and it made me very angry that he had to pay the fine.

“It makes me wonder how many other people have been fined wrongfully and paid it. I have no faith in the system, it is only there to make money. I will now be shopping elsewhere.”

He added that he has received a letter from Parking Eye saying that the charge had been cancelled, but he has not yet been refunded the money.

John said: “It has cost me phone calls from Turkey, and a day of my holiday stressed about the issue.”

Hannah said: “I’m gutted that my local shop would treat their loyal customers in this way.”

Parking Eye confirmed that Mr Burns' charge had been cancelled.

An Asda spokesperson said: “We would like to apologise to Mr Burns for any inconvenience caused and can reassure customers that while this type of incident is rare we are investigating the matter.”

https://www.derbytelegraph.co.uk/news/local-news/shopper-who-called-asda-twice-1933370
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #184 on: 13 September, 2019, 01:56:08 PM »

Paying the penalty for B&Q visits

A PLUMBER hit with a £110 parking fine claims he has been told he cannot visit his local B&Q twice in the same day.
John Taylor is one of a number of drivers to be sent penalty notices by Parking Eye after the firm said its cameras had caught him staying longer than the permitted three-and-a-half hours at the Hermiston Gait retail park.

But when the 59-year-old called the company to say he had made two separate visits to the store, he claims he was told that there was a "strict no returns rule" which stops motorists returning to the car park twice in the same day.

The self-employed tradesman, who makes a number of visits to the DIY retailer every week, said he had gone to the store early in the morning and returned in the afternoon to pick up supplies for the following day's work.

But Parking Eye said it had photographic evidence to show his car entering and leaving the car park only once in the day.

The company said it had "clear records" of Mr Taylor making multiple visits to the store on other days, but said it was adamant he had overstayed on the day in question, December 9.

Mr Taylor said: "I'm in that store every other day, but Parking Eye told me there's a 'strict no returns rule'. It was the biggest load of rubbish I've ever heard.

"I see their point about stopping people using the station parking at the shops. That's fair enough, but I'm definitely not paying for a ticket I got for visiting the place to go to B&Q."

Mr Taylor also claimed to have receipts showing he was elsewhere when Parking Eye said his car was parked at Hermiston Gait.

Last week there were calls for the state-of-the-art parking system to be scrapped after a number of drivers came forward claiming to have received tickets in error.

Among them was driver Bill Colborne, who was sent a penalty notice for dropping his daughter off to work at Tesco and collecting her six hours later.

Parking enforcers thought the 53-year-old had overstayed the maximum wait of three-and-a-half hours after his car was picked up by automatic number plate recognition cameras, when he had in fact made two separate visits to the store.

The car park is monitored by automatic number plate recognition cameras, which were brought in to deal with the problem of people parking in the retail park and then using Edinburgh Park train station or the adjacent business park.

https://www.scotsman.com/news-2-15012/paying-the-penalty-for-b-amp-q-visits-1-1190466
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player