Author Topic: Driver fined £100 after stopping for 26 seconds because of a sudden sneezing fit  (Read 982 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Driver fined £100 after pulling over for 26 seconds because of a sudden sneezing fit

James Gratton
31 Jan 2020, 10:17Updated: 31 Jan 2020, 12:59

A DRIVER been hit with a £100 fine after pulling over due to a sneezing fit.

Steven Savage, of Atteborough, Norfolk, stopped on the side of the road for just 26 seconds after he suddenly started sneezing.

The 37-year-old made the quick-thinking decision to pull over as he couldn't see and feared he might cause an accident.

But only a few days later, the engineer was hit with a £100 fine from National Parking Enforcement Ltd, who manage the road and captured his number plate on camera.

Steven said: "When you're having a sneezing fit the wise thing to do is pull over and let it finish - you don't feel fully in control when you're sneezing and it is dangerous to drive.

"To be honest I'm a bit blasé about the fine. It is annoying and it does create a bit of stress but these companies don't scare me.

He had only stopped in the space for 26 seconds but was still hit with a fine from the private company

"I think it is a bit of a scandal that they try and do it in the first place.

"As the road is close to the hospital there could be patients visiting who are briefly dropped off to receive treatment and then suddenly slapped with a huge fine.

"That is really what shocked me the most and I think it is outrageous.

"I know lots of people who have been fined for waiting for a few seconds and it is just unfair. It is fair enough if it is the council, but companies shouldn't be allowed to get away with it."

Steven has a 14-day window to accept the fine and pay a reduced fine, but said he will appeal the ridiculous ticket out of principle.

National Parking Enforcement Ltd have been contacted for comment.

Brits can be charged with careless driving if they cause an accident when having a sneezing fit, which can attract a maximum £2,500 fine and up to nine penalty points.

Earlier this year, we revealed that UK drivers who accidentally enter the wrong number plate details when buying a ticket will be exempt from fines.

The changes comes after a number of private parking firms have harshly penalised motorists for making innocent mistakes at the ticket machine at hospitals, shopping centres and train stations.

https://www.thesun.co.uk/motors/10860657/driver-fined-pulling-over-seconds-sneezing-fit/
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player