Author Topic: Just 'cos I ain't been around...  (Read 4225 times)

Offline Esinem

• Follower
Just 'cos I ain't been around...
« on: 18 July, 2011, 08:59:18 AM »
...don't think I'm not active! As some of you might know, I have been very busy recently with teaching abroad, getting my tutorial DVD finished, planning September's Festival etc. Anyway, FPW & I have been quietly working on Southampton Way, which will hopefully be 'the next Valmar Road victory'  8)

I await Soutwark's rely  >:D

Dear David

I have been looking into the enforcement of the restrictions on the bay outside Tesco on Southampton Way, which has been attracting the daily attention of one of your MEV’s and has been earning the council a fortune from confused motorists with up to 27 PCNs a day (t total of 1,580 up to the middle of June). It appears that the council are extorting money under false pretences once again, especially since clear and compliant signs/markings would reduce the number of offences. I feel this could be the tip of an iceberg since my only other local investigation resulted in the council paying back tens of thousands of pounds to illegally ticketed drivers in Valmar Road.  I think a full investigation needs to be carried out as this must either be staggering incompetence or a deliberate policy to illegally profit from civil enforcement. Investigation by NoToMob, the group opposing revenue driven enforcement, has revealed the tactics of allowing confusing situations to exist for profit, regardless of the jeopardy of public safety, is common throughout local councils.

Firstly, according to Tim Walker in Planning, the council does not have the complete documentation in the form of a Traffic Management Order with the appropriate map, thus the signs and markings have been installed without due authorisation.

Furthermore, the signs/markings are non-compliant (See below for details of the non-compliance). Therefore, the restrictions are unenforceable and I strongly suggest that you cease enforcement until this is rectified. Motorists need clear signs to minimise the risk of inadvertently committing offences that impact on road safety and traffic flow.  I further request that you cancel any outstanding PCNs and issue refunds to those who have paid, as you did after the Valmar Road fiasco.

Yours sincerely

Bruce

The bay does not carry the legend “Loading Only”
    There are no yellow lines to prohibit parking or indicate any restrictions.
    Inadequate width of bay (the bay is under the statutory 2.7m in width even for cars or small vans, yet it is supposed to be designated for good vehicles)

7.29 The sign to diagram 660.4 must be used with a
bay marking to diagram 1028.3 or 1032, each with
the legend LOADING ONLY,
or 1033 with no legend.
The bay to diagram 1028.3 has the largest maximum
width (3600 mm) and is therefore the most
appropriate for goods vehicle loading
. Where the
loading bay is used mainly by cars or small vans and
has been provided to allow customers to collect large
purchases from nearby shops, the smallest width
of bay to diagram 1028.3 (2700 mm)
might be
adequate.
« Last Edit: 01 January, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Wastemonster City Council can      NoToMob are watching you!

Offline Monkey Girl

• Follower
Re: Just 'cos I ain't been around...
« Reply #1 on: 18 July, 2011, 10:55:50 AM »
Phew! I wondered where you was, but do know you have been busy... from twitter  :rotfl: .....see you out there soon  :-*

Offline Esinem

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 18 July, 2011, 01:51:32 PM »
See the front page of South London Press on Tues 19 July ;-D

Offline blackadder

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 23 July, 2011, 04:42:24 PM »
Southwark Council
AUDIT OF ACCOUNTS YEAR ENDED 31 MARCH 2011
Audit Commission Act 1998, sections 15-16
Accounts and Audit (England) Regulations 2011 (regulations 9,10,21,22 and 23)

Southwark Council's accounts are subject to external audit by Susan M Exton, District Auditor, Audit Commission, 1st Floor, Millbank Tower, London SW1P 4HQ. Members of the public and local government electors have certain rights in the audit process.

1. From 4 July to 29 July 2011 between 9am and 4.30pm any person may inspect the accounts of the council for the year ended 31 March 2011 and certain related documents (comprising books, deeds, contracts, bills, vouchers and receipts) at the address given below. They may also make copies of the accounts and documents.

2. From 1 August 2011 until the conclusion of the audit process, a local government elector for the area of the council, or his/her representative, may ask the auditor questions about the accounts. Please contact the auditor at the address given above to make arrangements to ask any questions.

3. From 1 August 2011 until the conclusion of the audit process, a local government elector for the area of the council, or his/her representative, may object to the council's accounts asking that the auditor issue a report in the public interest (under section 8 of the Audit Commsission Act 1998) and/or apply to the court for a declaration that an item in the accounts is contrary to law (under section 17 of the Audit Commission Act 1998). Written notice of a proposed objection and the grounds on which it is made must be sent to the auditor at the address given above and copied to me at the address given below.

Dated 16 June 2011

Duncan Whitfield, finance director

Address for visitors:

Southwark Council
160 Tooley Street
London
SE1 2QH

Address for correspondence

Duncan Whitfield
Finance Director
Southwark Council
PO Box 64529
SE1P 5LX

www.southwark.gov.uk
Blackadder: "Sir Talbot represented the constituency of Dunny-on-the-Wold, and, by an extraordinary stroke of luck, it is a rotten borough"

Offline Esinem

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 28 July, 2011, 12:13:37 AM »
The latest:

[size=0pt]Dear Sirs[/size][size=0pt][/color][/size]
[size=0pt][/color]I do not appear to have had a reply from any of you, apart from the journalists.  [/size]I refute Cllr Hargrove’s assertion to the press that the bay complies “with the letter of the law”.[size=0pt][/color][/size]
[size=0pt][/color]I attach some recently taken pictures showing that the bay is of insufficient dimensions for the purpose as stated in the Traffic Signs Manual. Furthermore, they show your “visible deterrent” doing nothing to prevent the hazard caused by the delivery vehicle. As I said before, clear signs would go a long way to preventing this problem and the consequent danger to public safety. They would also cost a lot less than deploying the spy car. If it is intended to be a deterrent, don’t hide it 50 yards away, park it in the bay outside Tesco and make it visible like an emergency or police vehicle. Furthermore, a fine received a week or two after the event fails to address the immediate problem.[/size][size=0pt][/color][/size]
[size=0pt][/color]If this were not enough, when the SLP photographer was present at the location, we both witnessed and photographed the black CCTV car so badly parked (the front was nearly a metre from the kerb!) that buses where having to swerve into oncoming traffic to avoid it.  [/size]I also have video of another of one your MEV drivers leaving his vehicle on a Red Route. Training the drivers properly would be a great benefit to road safety.[size=0pt][/color][/size]
[size=0pt][/color]It is not obvious from the continued level of offending that a more effective means of enforcement is required? The statutory goal of civil enforcement is “100% compliance without penalties”. The attached spreadsheet shows how far short of that you have fallen with 20 PCNs on a ‘good day’ (financially). How long will Southwark council continue to put raising money above the safety of its constituents?[/size]

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #5 on: 28 July, 2011, 01:11:13 AM »
Anyone might think you are a tad pissed off with your local council's parking department Esinem. :o :rotfl:

Putting REVENUE before public safety?! Surely not!!!!!! :bashy: :bashy: :bashy:

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Esinem

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 30 July, 2011, 02:11:54 AM »
Wait till you see the video ;-)

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player