Author Topic: Bus company fined for driving in bus lane.  (Read 2465 times)

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Bus company fined for driving in bus lane.
« on: 11 January, 2012, 02:22:15 PM »
You just couldn't make it up;

http://www.suttonguardian.co.uk/news/9464073.Bus_company_fined_for_driving_in_bus_lane/

This is nothing short of outrageous. I think that the PCN was rightfully issued because of the vehicle used was a coach. However, when the full explanation of the circumstances became apparent the PCN should have been cancelled immediately. There's no way it should have gone to adjudication. Then to take wholesale pig ignorance to a new level, the appellant had to take the council to the small claims court to get his money back. They obviously didn't think the adjudicator ruling against them was sufficient grounds for cancelling the PCN. Councillor Simon Wales, executive member for fleecing the electorate says at the bottom of the article;
"It’s worth pointing out that we take a common sense view to parking in Sutton but ride roughshod over the adjudication process because we are a law unto ourselves."
I may have embellished that quote a little but I've always had an extraordinary talent for reading between the lines.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Staps

• Follower
Re: Bus company fined for driving in bus lane.
« Reply #1 on: 11 January, 2012, 07:12:45 PM »
When a ‘non permitted’ vehicle blocks a stop, it can delay a timetabled bus or make it dangerous for passengers to get on and off safely.
those words again "dangerous" and "passengers" in the same sentence

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #2 on: 11 January, 2012, 07:56:59 PM »
Dear f**kw*t Cllr Wales,

Please tell me WTF happens when more than one bus arrives at a bus stop at the same time. Or are there so few in your borough that this could never happen?

Nigel W

« Reply #3 on: 11 January, 2012, 08:02:49 PM »
And after a little research here is the PaTAS Adjudication.

Case Reference: 2110347507

"I have seen the CCTV footage. The footage I have seen ends at 11:10:32. The footage does not focus on the sign at the bus stop. I have seen a still photograph timed at 11:12:38. It shows the sign but I find that the photograph is unfocused and unclear. I am unable to read the sign. I am not satisfied on the evidence provided by the local authority that this bus stop was clearly signed to show that only local buses were permitted to stop". 

Looks like more 'Approved Devices' that ought not to have received certification from the VCA.

Quote from The Certification of Approved Devices:

3.1.1 Image requirements

3.1.1.1 Context View (CV)

The context image must provide a clear, sharp and free of motion blur image of the
vehicle in its context within the road environment.
« Last Edit: 12 January, 2012, 08:03:04 AM by Nigel W »

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 12 January, 2012, 01:24:11 AM »
Dear f**kw*t Cllr Wales,

Please tell me WTF happens when more than one bus arrives at a bus stop at the same time. Or are there so few in your borough that this could never happen?

To be fair to the idiots, the Council is not responsible for organising the buses or indeed the location or size of the stops - that's the job of TfL/the Bus Companies.  :)

Any properly run Bus/Coach company should know that (certainly in London) Bus Stops are only to be used by 'Local Buses' which of course are the ones painted red, and had Barnet Council used the proper equipment in the correct way, the PCN would (probably) have been upheld.

Whoever it was at the Council who decided that the Coach company couldn't have their money back, let alone be forced to go to the Court to get it should (IMHO) be sacked.
« Last Edit: 12 January, 2012, 01:33:07 AM by DastardlyDick »

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player