Author Topic: Off topic/squawk box  (Read 29116 times)

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
Re: Off topic/squawk box
« Reply #15 on: 24 November, 2011, 06:56:45 PM »
Cool top man Billie. 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Hawk900

• Follower
    • http://www.freewebs.com/hotrockvinyl
« Reply #16 on: 28 November, 2011, 09:44:56 PM »
Tougher MoT's on the way    Yep it will inclued bikes!   http://www.telegraph.co.uk/motoring/news/8921684/MoT-test-to-get-tougher.html
I don't get angry, I get even

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #17 on: 28 November, 2011, 11:42:36 PM »
Alan Bennett. "I think the sense of fairness is ingrained in people. I think fairness, is one of the things that is why you're here really..."

Ring any bells with the members?

http://occupylsx.org/?p=1553
« Last Edit: 29 November, 2011, 12:03:32 AM by The Bald Eagle »
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #18 on: 29 November, 2011, 12:24:08 AM »
The "Nolan principles" regarding "Selflessness, integrity, objectivity, accountability, openness, honesty and leadership" should be something that all politicians should be reminded of as often as possible in my humble opinion. 

Enjoy this unbelievable account of an acceptance of racism by this particularly nasty little council (click on link below).

Perhaps the Mob should consider a visit to a Barnet council meeting.

You in?

http://wwwbrokenbarnet.blogspot.com/2011/11/love-thy-neighbour-race-relations-in.html
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Esinem

• Follower
« Reply #19 on: 29 November, 2011, 12:47:18 AM »
My ex's dad made this documentary about Linda Carty, a British citizen, who faces the death penalty in Texas on very dubious evidence after a botched defence. Please take a moment to sign this petition...after all, we know that the 'little man in  the street' can make a big difference.

Imagine how it would feel to be strapped down here knowing you are innocent:

Wastemonster City Council can      NoToMob are watching you!

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #20 on: 29 November, 2011, 02:18:29 AM »
My ex's dad made this documentary about Linda Carty, a British citizen, who faces the death penalty in Texas on very dubious evidence after a botched defence. Please take a moment to sign this petition...after all, we know that the 'little man in  the street' can make a big difference.

Imagine how it would feel to be strapped down here knowing you are innocent:

Frankly, I don't know if she is innocent or guilty. Any so called civilised country who condones capital punishment is a disgrace to the word "civilised" in my opinion. Just one more reason not to live in or be associated with the United States of SHAMerica.

And these cheeky bastards have the temerity to hold China to account for THEIR human rights violations.

If she is innocent then I'm sure the truth will out and it will be proven so. I know it doesn't make it any better for the wrongly accused, but at least they will be alive and a kind of justice will be served.

Where is the justice if you are innocent and dead? I'd like to see his accusers, his family and his executioner explain to Derek Bentley the posthumous pardon he was granted.

It's just plain wrong, and a petition, however well meaning is not going to stop it.

The law is an ass. It's our fault if those who administer it are the asses.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Nigel W

« Reply #21 on: 29 November, 2011, 09:40:00 AM »
Here here.

How many innocent people would have been on the end of a rope in this country if we still had the death penalty. Those are just the ones who have been proven innocent after being convicted.

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #22 on: 29 November, 2011, 10:21:38 AM »
There is also a school of thought that says more people have been murdered by released murderers, than innocents have been executed by the state.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Nigel W

« Reply #23 on: 29 November, 2011, 10:43:29 AM »
Between 1973 and 2005, 123 people in 25 states were released from death row when new evidence of their innocence emerged. However, statistics likely understate the actual problem of wrongful convictions because once an execution has occurred there is often insufficient motivation and finance to keep a case open, and it becomes unlikely at that point that the miscarriage of justice will ever be exposed. The average time on death row before these exonerations was 9 years.

The above figures are just those who have been able to establish their innocence.

The death penalty legitimizes an irreversible act of violence by the state and will inevitably claim innocent victims. As long as human justice remains fallible, the risk of executing the innocent can never be eliminated.

Amnesty International

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #24 on: 29 November, 2011, 11:15:51 AM »
As far as I'm concerned, the Death Penalty is not the deterrant it's frequently held up to be by it's supporters. All it does (IMHO), is make it far more likely that more innocent people, whether they be Police Officers or members of the public, by felons who, having already killed one person while committing a crime, have absolutly nothing to loose by killing anyone who gets in their way.
On a seperate issue, I think that prison would be a greater deterrant than it is if (for multiple offences) prison sentances were applied consectutivly (one after the other) rather than concurrently (all at the same time) as they are now, where someone can go out and burgle 10 different people but only (effectivly) serve time for one.

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #25 on: 29 November, 2011, 12:30:29 PM »
Prison may also act as a deterrent if they were places where daily life didn't seem to be so easy, and the sentence given was the sentence served.

I've heard people say say that prison should be a place of rehabilitation, I disagree, prison is a place of punishment.  Rehabilitation can follow when punishment has been served
« Last Edit: 29 November, 2011, 12:32:22 PM by Kill Switch »

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #26 on: 29 November, 2011, 01:58:07 PM »
I do not advocate the death penalty but I am with you on this one KS, Bring back hard labour, the Birch and Public humiliation. No votes for prisoners as you give up all you'r rights to any say in how society is run when you choose be outside of society. You should also loose any social housing etc. Why should I be expected to pay for some ne'er do well, it's bad enough I have to pay for their upkeep in Prison.  The sentences in this country are a joke, we need more Prisons with less facilities and as soon as you have served you'r sentence you are released with the threat that if you re-offend you go away for a very long time. Any non nationals are deported straight from Prison no questions asked.
I have worked all my life for what little I have I did not steal it or mug some one for it. I see people with lots more than I have but do I try to kill them for it? NO because that is what society is all about.

I do not wish to offend but that is my view as harsh as it is.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #27 on: 29 November, 2011, 03:41:46 PM »
I do not advocate the death penalty but I am with you on this one KS, Bring back hard labour, the Birch and Public humiliation. No votes for prisoners as you give up all you'r rights to any say in how society is run when you choose be outside of society. You should also loose any social housing etc. Why should I be expected to pay for some ne'er do well, it's bad enough I have to pay for their upkeep in Prison.  The sentences in this country are a joke, we need more Prisons with less facilities and as soon as you have served you'r sentence you are released with the threat that if you re-offend you go away for a very long time. Any non nationals are deported straight from Prison no questions asked.
I have worked all my life for what little I have I did not steal it or mug some one for it. I see people with lots more than I have but do I try to kill them for it? NO because that is what society is all about.

Hear Hear

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #28 on: 29 November, 2011, 05:08:46 PM »

Whether I agree or disagree with what you say Pat, or indeed what anyone says is irrellevant as far as I'm concerned. This was specifically designed as an open forum for people to debate their views in a democratic and unfettered manner. We are all entitled to our views and I for one would never take offence unless someone started to get personal.

And if that ever happened I would respectfully remind you all of one thing.

We've got a Kill Switch and we're not afraid of using him!!! :-ev-: :bashy: :-ev-: :bashy: :-ev-: :bashy:
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline BailiffHunter

• Follower
    • http://bailiffhunter.blogspot.com/
« Reply #29 on: 29 November, 2011, 05:17:40 PM »
I`ve come to the table late on this one but............................................................
Wot they said :-ev-:
\"When the facts change, I change my mind\"