Author Topic: Off topic/squawk box  (Read 29114 times)

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Re: Off topic/squawk box
« Reply #30 on: 29 November, 2011, 11:23:22 PM »
Prison may also act as a deterrent if they were places where daily life didn't seem to be so easy
Having seen - in my professional capacity - the homes some young offenders come from, prison/young offenders institutes are actually a good place to be. They are provided with 3 meals a day, a room of their own complete with television, and quite often access to game consoles (xbox or similar) and the internet. Given this, it's no surprise that a lot of them keep re-offending.
I think we should have the sort of regime in our penal system as that Sheriff in (I think) Arizona where they are made to work doing things like litter picking on the roadside, only 2 channels on the TV (Disney & the weather channel "so they can see how hot it's going to be").

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #31 on: 30 November, 2011, 10:32:22 AM »

Having seen - in my professional capacity - the homes some young offenders come from, prison/young offenders institutes are actually a good place to be. They are provided with 3 meals a day, a room of their own complete with television, and quite often access to game consoles (xbox or similar) and the internet. Given this, it's no surprise that a lot of them keep re-offending.
I think we should have the sort of regime in our penal system as that Sheriff in (I think) Arizona where they are made to work doing things like litter picking on the roadside, only 2 channels on the TV (Disney & the weather channel "so they can see how hot it's going to be").

Agreed, I would just like see a prison sentence as something that no one would want to experience a second time, it is supposed to be a punishment after all.

A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #32 on: 30 November, 2011, 12:44:01 PM »
Get's my vote.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #33 on: 30 November, 2011, 06:57:03 PM »
I saw a documentary some years ago about Colchester military nick. In a nutshell, it's this;
  • The sentence you get is the minimum time you'll serve.
  • You'll be kept constantly busy with soldiering, such as drill instruction, assault courses, uniform cleaning, etc, etc.
  • If you don't want to follow orders and play ball, your sentence can be increased by the camp commanding officer.
  • There is no upper limit to how long your sentence can be.
  • Very few soldiers return to colchester for a second helping.
If only the social workers could see the light.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Nigel W

« Reply #34 on: 01 December, 2011, 01:13:13 PM »
Capital Punishment - I don't think so...

Eight ex-police officers manufactured a case against three innocent men following the murder of prostitute Lynette White, a jury has been told.

The 20-year-old was killed in 1988 in the flat in Cardiff where she worked.

The prosecution said men who became known as the Cardiff Three were jailed for a crime they did not commit.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-14042058

Now because the evidence against the police was destroyed the case against the police officers has collapsed.

"Other documents it emerged were destroyed.

Prosecutor Nicholas Dean said: "Deliberate destruction of documents by the senior investigating officer appears to have occurred".

ttp://www.walesonline.co.uk/cardiffonline/cardiff-news/2011/12/01/lynette-white-murder-corruption-trial-collapses-91466-29877522/
« Last Edit: 01 December, 2011, 01:19:29 PM by Nigel W »

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #35 on: 01 December, 2011, 03:38:38 PM »
Ok so this type of corruption in public office and in a position of trust should automatically incur a lengthy jail sentence, with loss of all pension rights. It is aiding and abetting other Police officers to cover up a previous serious crime. It just makes you wonder how long it will be before they bring back beating a confession out of someone just so they can get some crimes cleared off the books, or to fit someone else up for whatever reason they feel fit. Its these type of scum ( I won't say Police Officers as they are not fit for that title) that get the whole Police force tarred with the same brush. There is also another High profile case in the news at the moment where another scum bag tampered with the evidence trail deliberately for spiteful reasons. Put them in general population in the prisons and let us see how clever they are then.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline BailiffHunter

• Follower
    • http://bailiffhunter.blogspot.com/
« Reply #36 on: 01 December, 2011, 11:04:05 PM »
\"When the facts change, I change my mind\"

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #37 on: 02 December, 2011, 12:37:12 AM »
I don't think that we will ever see Capital Punishment restored in the UK for several reasons:-

1. It would be against the European Convention on Human Rights (not to mention the UDHR)

2. Because of (1) the UK would  have to leave the EU. (some would say this is a good thing!)

3. Given well known instances of Police Corruption (Cardiff 3, Guildford 4, Birmingham 6 - the Dave Clark 5 must be s***ing themselves  :) ) I don't think a Jury would be willing to convict - you can release someone from Prison if it's wrong, but you can't undead them.

Nigel W

« Reply #38 on: 02 December, 2011, 06:56:20 AM »
Phone tracking: See post above by Bailiffhunter.

:idea: So all EA's need to do is install this on your phone and then issue you with a PCN when you stop your vehicle anywhere that they have a prohibited location programmed into the phone. No need for cameras or CEO's!

The PCN will arrive on your phone and then they will automatically debit your bank account via your phone.

Better still no need for a PCN just take the money from your bank.

All you need to do is to look at your bank statement which will arrive by phone and you will know how much it has cost you.

It's no good switching off your phone because the software still works in the background. Smashing the  phone with a hammer will not work either. The software has replicated itself into your bank cards and copied itself into your cars electronics.

You can set up a direct debit from your bank if you wish for the payment of penalties. This will be debited on a regular basis even if you do not own a vehicle and never leave your home.  :bashy:

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #39 on: 02 December, 2011, 09:03:41 AM »
Do I detect a bit of cynicism here Nigel  :rotfl:
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
The best rant ever
« Reply #40 on: 02 December, 2011, 12:45:55 PM »
"I'm gonna try and do this actually without swearing or shouting..."   :pmsl:

This is the guy's opening statement. If you are easily offended you had better know it's an epic fail on his part.

David Cameron needs to see this and know that what this bloke says is what an awful lot of people are thinking, including me.

« Last Edit: 02 December, 2011, 04:36:27 PM by The Bald Eagle »
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline BailiffHunter

• Follower
    • http://bailiffhunter.blogspot.com/
« Reply #41 on: 02 December, 2011, 04:14:41 PM »
 :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

Love it. Wot he said. Every feckin word of it! :aplude:
\"When the facts change, I change my mind\"

Offline chalky

• Follower
« Reply #42 on: 03 December, 2011, 07:35:25 PM »
Have to say, I concur with BE's assesment, the guys effort to avoid the odd sweary, was a failure to match no other failure!
I'm not sure, but I believe this gentleman may have rather strong opinions on this topic! :D

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #43 on: 13 December, 2011, 02:25:51 PM »
Clanger mode has engaged again. Need help please.

Can anyone tell me a free to use, and more importantly EASY to use download that will convert mp3 files to wav files please.

I downloaded something from tucows but couldn't make it work.

HHHHHHEEEEEEEEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPPP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #44 on: 30 January, 2012, 05:12:31 PM »
I received a telephone call today from a friend of mine who is employed working on the Olympic Park. I have only just stopped laughing but I dont know why I should find it funny, as it is costing all of us Londoners (that pay Tax) a fecking fortune.
Apparently they have discovered that some not so bright spark has forgot to lay in the Gas Pipe for the Olympic Torch!    :bashy: :bashy: :bashy: :bashy: :bashy:
WHY AM I NOT SURPRISED?  <_>