Author Topic: Alan Moore - author of V for Vendetta  (Read 3866 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Alan Moore - author of V for Vendetta
« on: 10 February, 2012, 11:31:17 PM »
Who is going to write to Alan Moore to ask him if he wants to join The Mob? ;D

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-16968689
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Darcus

• Follower
Re: Alan Moore - author of V for Vendetta
« Reply #1 on: 17 March, 2012, 09:22:52 PM »
As someone who read the original V for Vendetta when it came out, it has always bugged me how it is now being used. The truth is both David Lloyd and Anonymous chose it, purely because they thought it looked cool and not because it represented anything else. Which is easily believed, given that what it actually represents is religious fundamentalists trying to violently usurp the power of the state in order to replace it with a more ominous and draconian power in the form of the Catholic church and ultimately the Pope, who, in the 17th Century wasn't known for being a tolerant libertarian. The fact is, it is to our benefit that he failed or we would have been under a far more restrictive yoke that would have at the very least delayed our transition to a so called parliamentary democracy.

In fact it is the same as if in 100 years time people started wearing Osama Bin Laden masks as a symbol of freedom and liberty. Even in the comic V is not put forward as a hero, but is left as an ambiguous figure who could be anything from a psychopath to a terrorist unfettered by an ideological direction. Unfortunately Hollywood, in the form of a global media corporation has clouded our history with its own iconic misrepresentation of stories, both Guy Fawkes' and Alan Moore's, for its own profit, leaving an entire generation who probably have no idea who Guy Fawkes was or what he actually represented.

It still looks cool though  ;)
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #2 on: 18 March, 2012, 12:05:15 AM »
V is what you want it to BE.

V will BE your worst nightmare if you are in his sights.

V is all of us who say enough is enough
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #3 on: 18 March, 2012, 12:40:37 AM »
To me, the mask is a mark of passive resistance.

I look forward to the day we all stand, as one, outside the Houses of Parliament in silence to register our objection to the way this country is governed.

November 5th 2012 anyone? I have just the banner...

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #4 on: 18 March, 2012, 12:53:18 AM »
I for one would love to be part of that. So count me in BE :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Darcus

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 18 March, 2012, 02:11:37 AM »
I certainly think we have lost a part of our heritage by stopping the practice of burning effigies on 5th November.

A flaming Cameron would certainly brighten the evening up a lot more than twirling a sparkler wearing a Frankenstein mask.
Don't piss down my back and tell me it's raining