Author Topic: First $chunt in Newham - 15/02/2012  (Read 13675 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
First $chunt in Newham - 15/02/2012
« on: 20 February, 2012, 01:03:34 AM »
Four of us met for some brekky at an eye watering 7.00am. Present were me, Skeggsy, Rs2k and Killswitch. Billie and Rs2k had done some reconnaissance and had located the pen, so off we went. Our intention was to follow the $cars to wherever they operate and identify some honeypots for a $chunt on Saturday, following the meeting we had planned with the residents. Therefore no colours were worn and definitely no masks.

There are two exits to the pen, so we split up with two at the front and two at the back. We had been told they operate two smart cars and an unmarked car. First one out was a smart car and Rs2k was off, leaving me alone at the back gate. Then, the unmarked grey Vauxhall Corsa went on his way. And indeed it was entirely unmarked when it left the pen. I think I must have managed to tag along without being spotted, because the $car stopped in Browning Road and started enforcing a bus lane/gate/no entry for motor vehicles offence. I was intrigued as to where the camera was on the car as we had been told it was mounted on the dashboard and I had seen no evidence of any camera on the journey over, so I thought I would take a few photos of the area and try to be as discreet as possible. Fat chance.

While I'm standing there I was passed by a smart car that had a long since spotted Rs2k in tow, and which held two CEOs who gave me a long hard stare when they saw me taking photos of signage just along from the $car. So my cover was blown and I went for broke. I photographed the recently adorned $car (one magnetic camera sign on the bonnet and a nondescript magnetic Newham Council sign on the passenger door) from all angles and then walked up for a closer look at the sophisticated dashboard camera that undoubtedly popped out of the specially modified dashboard at the touch of a button. So imagine my surprise when I got there and found a Heath Robinson contraption mounted on the dashboard and steering wheel that formed a base for the highly sophisticated (not), hand held Sony camera that uses those mini tape thingys.

The locals started taking an interest at this point and I was given some very useful intel, particularly the fact that the $car is normally there for at least three to four hours at a time. Imagine my surprise then, when the $car suddenly made a move about 30 minutes after arriving. I followed the $car and was not surprised to find myself back at the front entrance to the pen, where I joined Skeggsy and KS.

Neither was it a surprise to us when an official from Mouchel came marching towards us. To give him credit he was very nice and actually asked if we wouldn't mind talking to him. Of course we didn't mind at all and we set about educating him in the art of $chunting, including handing him several copies of the Statement of Intent. At one point Killswitch mentioned that some of us wear masks when we are $chunting, and to demonstrate I got mine out of my top box and put it on. I had not thought much of this at the time, nor did the Mouchel guy take any particular offence or fright at the mask. However, it became significant later as I will explain.

After that me and Skeggsy went round to the back gate in case the $car made a bolt for it, but we were pretty sure what would happen next... We were not disappointed. ;D

At some point Rs2k arrived back with the $car he had been following and he joined KS at the front gate.

Then what we had predicted would happen, happened, but not quite as we expected. Two beat bobbies, (both young enough to be my kids) turned up and approached the security guard asking him what he knew about some "youths" who were apparently terrorising $car drivers three at a time, who were wearing masks and chasing after them on their motorbikes. So now I'm officially a YOUTH!!!! :pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:

You can imagine their reaction when the security guy pointed at me and Skeggsy and told them that maybe we were the ones they were looking for. Two unmasked, smiling, not so youthful bikers who were highly amused by what they had just been accused of. They came over and asked if we wouldn't mind giving them our names. I politely asked if it was absolutely necessary at this stage, and they said it wasn't a problem until such time as it was established we had done something wrong, if we had indeed done so. So then me and Skeggsy set about educating the cops in the way of the Mob and they were clearly impressed when we showed them the Statement of Intent and the stuff about our right to take photos of anyone or anything in a public place.

Skeggsy contacted Rs2k and KS while we waited for our accusers to arrive and they cruised round the corner a little time afterwards. This time the Mouchel crew arrived mob handed, with the next one up the chain of command in charge of our earlier interrogator and two $car drivers. Her name was Bev and she was pissed off and incredibly aggressive towards us. That's when the experience of previous encounters came in really useful, and we instinctively knew we were going to have fun with our Bev.

She repeated her accusations that we had been terrorising her drivers by following them around, three at a time, wearing masks, and also complained that we were taking photos without permission. This last was quickly dismissed by the cops who told our Bev in no uncertain terms that we can photograph anything we like and there was nothing anyone can do to stop this. One nil to the Mob. :-* :-* :pmsl:

Then the cops did their jobs properly and allowed us to put our side of things, which we did, and which clearly didn't reflect any truth in what we were being accused of. Realising she had been caught in a lie, Bev then went on the offensive by suggesting that in future we might intimidate her drivers by following them home and exposing their personal details to angry members of the public. That's when the copper asked if she had seen the statement of intent, which by a remarkable coincidence she was holding. Oh dear! :pmsl:

We then explained to the cops and Bev exactly what it says on the SoI, i.e. we have no interest in the drivers. It's the $cars we are interested in. It was fast becoming clear that despite all of Bev's protestations, we hadn't in fact done anything illegal, and this was confirmed when the male copper actually told Bev (I didn't hear it but KS says he did) she was wasting police time. ;D ;D ;D :pmsl:  Two nil to the Mob. :party:

This copper also said that it was hardly likely that we would hand them a carefully worded SoI, then cover our faces with scary masks and go around terrorising people we have clearly set out to help do their jobs. Three nil to the Mob and the crowd are now chanting EASY. EASY. EASY. :pmsl:

In the end Bev's pram was empty of toys, so she rounded up her troops and retired back inside their heavily secured base that has CCTV monitors everywhere. Four nil. Game over. Bye bye Bev. :-* :-* :-*

We waved a cheery goodbye to the nice police officers (who still don't have our details because WE HADN'T DONE ANYTHING WRONG) and went about our lawful business.

After that we had some discussions about what had just gone on (which consisted mainly of us verbally replaying certain moments and nearly falling off our bikes with laughter at the ludicrous antics we had just witnessed) and decided that we should go back to the front gate to make sure they weren't sneaking out to enforce again. It turns out that there is a maze of back roads that make this particular journey far longer than it had to be because of the existence of a no entry for motor vehicles sign at the end of a road just along from the back entrance where we were. So we decided to get off our bikes, turn our engines off and push them along the pavement to avoid performing the illegal manoeuvre.

And guess what we saw when we got there. Yep! The unmarked $car was enforcing that very junction. ;D It turns out it's another nice little earner for them. It would have been rude not to lend them a hand, so Rs2k and KS stayed, while me and Skeggsy went off to find another $car, which we did thanks to a phone call from one of the shop owners (who incidentally was at the meeting yesterday). We followed it around for a while and managed to save a couple of illegal parkers from getting tickets before calling it a day and going round to Rs2k's gaff for a nice cup of tea (cheers mate :-*).

So once again we avoided being arrested for being public spirited citizens. ;D Unfortunately our accusers, who were not so public spirited, also avoided arrest even though they probably deserved it because they lied to the cops to try to get us into trouble. :(

« Last Edit: 20 February, 2012, 02:36:12 AM by The Bald Eagle »
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline newham-council-r-thieves

• Follower
Re: First $chunt in Newham - 15/02/2012
« Reply #1 on: 20 February, 2012, 01:12:59 AM »
 :aplude: :aplude: :aplude: :aplude: :aplude: :aplude:

Again, I feel gutted that you were only 10 minutes walking distance from me and I didn't know about this. Wish I was there

Offline tommy the trumpet

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 20 February, 2012, 01:40:00 AM »
Two questions BE do you think they have certification for a sony camcorder, and is Carl Brown cctv operations team leader high enough up the pecking order to authorise an exemption.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.    
Ciao Marco #58

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #3 on: 20 February, 2012, 01:55:33 AM »
"The male copper told Bev she was wasting police time." Legendary.      I know it's expected in a new area but how thick are these people? Where do they think they are going to find a copper who hasn't at some point felt their very own brand of rough justice? That Corsa is just downright unsporting. Visible deterrent my a  :o se! I suspect 'Bully Boy Nigel' (I've seen the video evidence) may have an opinion about the camcorder. I wonder if Bev said to the copper "We'd have got away with it if it hadn't have been for those meddling kids."

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #4 on: 20 February, 2012, 02:03:37 AM »
Two questions BE do you think they have certification for a sony camcorder, and is Carl Brown cctv operations team leader high enough up the pecking order to authorise an exemption.

Unfortunately TTT, they don't need VCA certification for cameras that record MTVs. It's daft I know, but that's what we are currently stuck with.

It still sticks in my craw though that they seem to think it's ok that they film us (Bev referred to the fact they had seen me taking pictures of the $car on the video the $car operator had taken), but we were not supposed to have the right to take pictures of them. :bashy: :bashy: :bashy:

Never mind. I'm sure there will be lots of expensive time wasting discussions amongst the upper echelons of Mouchel before they realise they have no choice but to grin and bear our assistance in achieving their stated aims of "100% compliance without penalties." ;D ;D ;D

Either that or they can do what other operators do and take the $cars off the road whenever we are around. Wait a minute though! Doesn't that make a nonsense of their claims that it's all about safety? :bashy: :bashy: :bashy:

There is a film called "The Perfect Storm". Mouchel executives should watch this in my opinion, because in metaphorical terms they have without doubt sailed straight into one.

MMMMMWWWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHA :-ev-:

MMMMMWWWAAAAAAAAAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA :-ev-: :-ev-:
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #5 on: 20 February, 2012, 02:17:10 AM »
Mouchel employees: be nice to the 'youths.' They are helping you to do your job and are now officially, your colleagues. Thanks.

We are watching you.     
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline jonesy

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #6 on: 20 February, 2012, 10:31:02 AM »
:Aw crap do we now need a senior citizen as welll as youth section :rotfl:

quote- In the end Bev's pram was empty of toys, so she rounded up her troops and retired back inside their heavily secured base that has CCTV monitors everywhere. Four nil. Game over. Bye bye Bev.  :pmsl: :pmsl: 

Offline seggsy

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 20 February, 2012, 01:39:52 PM »
What I find incredible is because this company happens to have a contract with Newham Council they think the laws of this land do not apply to them or they are deserving of some kind of special treatment. Thankfully the police officers, and the NoToMob, behaved absolutely correctly and set this representative of the company straight.

I have to confess to having a right good laugh at the report though.... You must have so enjoyed watching the Police put her in her place. Brilliant. Shame there is no video, I could have watched it over and over again......
Politicians doncha just 'ate em

Offline Robinthehood

• Follower
« Reply #8 on: 20 February, 2012, 03:09:30 PM »
 " Realising she had been caught in a lie, Bevy then went on the offensive by suggesting that in future we might intimidate her drivers by following them home and exposing their personal details to angry members of the public. That's when the copper asked if she had seen the statement of intent, which by a remarkable coincidence she was holding."

Like Newham council did? When they sent out in their "evidence packs" ,name and address of a female motorist Miss X who lost a PATAS case to dozens of other Newham residents awaiting their PATAS appeals  :o

The lady owns/works for a shop in Newham, but lives way out somewhere. Newham council provided her name, home address, her car registration number.

Nigel W

« Reply #9 on: 20 February, 2012, 06:41:02 PM »
What? They actually sent out the details of a PaTAS case that was lost with their evidence. This included the name and address and VRN of the unfortunate driver.

Was this in answer to representations to the Council before a PaTAS case was lodged?

In my opinion this amounts to a procedural impropriety. It is also in my opinion against the Data Protection Act.

PaTAS Adjudications, published on the Statutory Register, which are public documents, do not include the address of the Appellant.

« Last Edit: 20 February, 2012, 06:55:45 PM by Nigel W »

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #10 on: 20 February, 2012, 06:57:25 PM »
Not to mention a serious breach of data protection.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #11 on: 21 February, 2012, 03:40:33 PM »
There's nothing like a good Googlemap picture to show the council up for the hypocrites they are. ;D :pmsl:

In my $chunt report I mentioned that we caught the $car enforcing just round the corner from the pen. I was looking on Googlemaps for this particular road and it turns out it is near 157 Park Avenue Newham United Kingdom (copy and paste this address into the Googlemaps search box and it will take you straight there). Find the junction with Flanders Road and look for the van parked with two wheels on the kerb in the bus stop(pictured in the pdf screen shot attached).

In the screen shot  and on Googlemaps you can just make out the Newham council logo on the front of the vehicle. If you move next to the vehicle on Googlemaps and look closely at the driver you can just about make out his CEO epaulets. Then move across to the dashboard and you will see a video $camera perched on it in a similar manner to the one I took photos of last Wednesday.

You might also want to take a close look at the signs at the junction he is enforcing (flying motorbikes) and bear in mind that these are still there and that buses are exempted.

Finally check out the date of the Googlemap photo.

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Nigel W

« Reply #12 on: 21 February, 2012, 03:50:03 PM »
How can a camcorder type camera perched on the dashboard be certificated? Are you sure that this vehicle was enforcing parking ? Was it connected up to anything?  Can anyone tell me what Sony model it is?

It is probably covertly enforcing the "Bus Lane" this means that it does not require certification only type approval.  Even so I doubt that it would get type approval.
« Last Edit: 21 February, 2012, 03:58:35 PM by Nigel W »

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #13 on: 21 February, 2012, 04:03:33 PM »
He is enforcing the flying motorbike MTV Nigel. I am reliably informed they do not need certification for this (see my earlier post of yesterday in this regard). Or have I been misinformed?
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #14 on: 21 February, 2012, 04:11:23 PM »
They're enforcing the moving contravention (flying motorcycle) whilst parked at a bus stop with one or more wheels on the footway! The buggers will be using megapixel camera phones next. Just a thought, but a scooter weasel would have no qualms about riding through the contravention. Would a passing weasel stop and ticket the van then the van weasel film his colleague riding through the contravention? If so they could keep their enforcement activities 'in-house' so to speak and leave decent citizens to go about their business. Don't know if you noticed BE but from behind the van you can almost make out the VRM apart from the last letter. W585 LW?, W505 LW? or similar.