Author Topic: Why Wireless Can Create Traffic-Free Roads!  (Read 1657 times)

Nigel W

Why Wireless Can Create Traffic-Free Roads!
« on: 14 April, 2012, 06:49:30 PM »
The executive chairman of Ford, Bill Ford Jr, recently set out a vision of a world mostly free of traffic congestion as intelligent systems watched over traffic flow and directed vehicles accordingly.

A world where each parking space is monitored and cars directed to specific empty slots as they enter a city. (No doubt also automatically issued PCN's if you overstay!)

For all those sitting on the M25 yet again or driving round and round a multi-storey car park this may seem fantasy, but in principle it is a dream we could bring about.................

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-17666447
« Last Edit: 14 April, 2012, 07:44:20 PM by Nigel W »

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Re: Why Wireless Can Create Traffic-Free Roads!
« Reply #1 on: 18 April, 2012, 09:43:11 AM »
I think something like this may be in use in the car park at Westfield. They have matrix signs saying "xx spaces this way" at the end of each lane, and above every space there's a little red/green light, so you can look down the lane and spot empty spaces simply by looking for the green light. I thought it a very impressive set up.
Even better news is that it's free for m/c's!

Offline Piquet

• Follower
Re: Why Wireless Can Create Traffic-Free Roads!
« Reply #2 on: 18 April, 2012, 09:49:01 PM »
Tesco (in Slough) use a similar system to that which DD describes, the store is built on 'stilts' with parking on the ground level and shopping on the upper levels, they have 3Hrs free parking after which penalties apply, however I believe theirs uses a traffic light system with vehicle sensors built into the bays.
There are no barriers or ticket machines.
I can't remember the exact system as I haven't used it in a while but I think no light signifies an empty bay, once a vehicle is parked, the sensor switches on a green light and a timer. If the vehicle is not moved within 3 hours, the light turns red attracting the attention of the parking operatives weasels.
I'm not a complete idiot, some parts are missing.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player