Author Topic: Why you should always complain when there are problems.  (Read 7213 times)

Offline tommy the trumpet

• Follower
Why you should always complain when there are problems.
« on: 12 June, 2012, 12:02:15 PM »
A lot of times today problems are created by people not complaining when things are not right, so when the odd few do complain companies can afford to deal with them. If everytime something was not right everbody complained these companies would not take the pee in the first place as customer services would cost to much to provide.

I recently had a quote from a prominent motorcycle insurance provider which dare I say was slightly excessive, upon getting a quote from a rival which was £300 cheaper, I informed them and they immediately price matched it. So not bad business for them,I sit back let them renew and they rip me off £300 and the moral of the story is never let any insurances automatically renew always at least query the price otherwise you are going to get ripped off.

I have attached below a prime example of the benefit of complaining which saved me £65 and this one only took a few e mails but it must have ruffled some feathers.

"Sky TV equipment complaint
Description:

My service was suspended then reinstated that was 2 days ago after your adviser told me it would take 4 hours. I have rung again and was passed to technical services who quite frankly did not have a clue what he was talking about and then just cut me off. I recall to get put in a que and what a surprise i am cut off again. My box just keeps showing initialising new card and by recent contacts I doubt if you have anyone competant enough to rectify this problem, if this is what you call customer service i would prefer not to be exposed to this sort of incompetence. All I am asking for is the resumption of my service is this to much to ask as I have already paid for two days service with actually no service

Customer Account Number: xxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email.

I have sent signals to your viewing card number xxxxxxxxx and it will take 10 hours to 24 hours for the viewing card to receive signals.

If the problem still persits you can contact our Technical team on 08442 41 14 11, where one of our advisors will be ready to help.

Alternatively, you can book a service call since your box is out of warranty, you will be charged £65 for the Engineer visit.

This one off payment also covers the cost of a refurbished replacement box if the engineer can’t repair your existing one. Your refurbished box will also have a 90-day warranty

You can access your account at the following link: https://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/mysky

You can view your bill, view historical statements, make a one off payment, change your payment method, change your payment due date, paperless bill - request to have paper bill sent, track your order, upgrade your package, add Broadband or Sky talk, edit your profile, reset your TV PIN and manage additional user accounts for your household.

I look forward to receiving this information at your earliest convenience. In the meantime, if you need any further help, you can reply to my email.

Kind regards

My Reply,

No my problem is not resolved, so now you want me to pay £65 for you to send an engineer around to fix the problem you created in the first place. Quite frankly I would rather put that towards the cost of an hd freeview box, which would perform far more efficiently than the whole sky organisation.

Customer Account Number: xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you for your email.

I have booked a free service call for you. One of our engineers will visit your place on xx/xx/xxxx.

The engineer will contact you a day before the visit between 3pm and 9pm or on the day of visit between 8am and 9am with an estimated time of arrival. The contact number we have for you is xxxxx xxxxxx.

If you need to reschedule this date, you can do this online by going to www.sky.com and logging into your Mysky account. If any details are incorrect, please call our Customer Service team quoting job reference number xxxxxxxxxx.

In the meantime you may find assistance via our online help centre at the following link:

www.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/skyhelpcentre

You can access your Sky account online at the following link below:

https://mysky.sky.com/portal/site/skycom/mysky

As well as being able to access additional offers and information, you can also view your Sky account online. MYSKY will allow you to view statements, make a one off payment, upgrade your viewing package, buy additional products and much more.

I hope this information has helped with your enquiry. If you require any further assistance, you can respond to my email.

Kind regards

Sky Help Centre

http://www.sky.com

MISSION ACCOMPLISHED!

The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.    
Ciao Marco #58

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
Re: Why you should always complain when there are problems.
« Reply #1 on: 12 June, 2012, 12:43:30 PM »
I am a firm believer in complaining to the point of obsession to get what is a service or standard that is rightfully mine however I do have an advantage.
Recently my Orange mobile phone was eligible for an upgrade, I had already made my choice as to which phone I was going to choose. Indeed the night before the due date of upgrade I logged into my account to check the phone was still available and to check I had the correct date for upgrade. When I went to the Orange shop next day I told the guy my phone was due to for upgrade and said that is the phone I want, I could tell from his body language their was going to be a problem! sure enough he said I was not due for an upgrade for another 3 months!!! I said no you have made a mistake it is due today and I am 100% certain of that fact so please check again and get the problem sorted. He then informed me the terms of upgrade had been changed that very morning and their was nothing he could do about it and that they (Orange)would make no exceptions. Oh! is that right mate well I will see about that. While I stood in the shop SHMBO or my carer as I like to think of her, phoned Orange and eventually got through to a very stressed supervisor in Ireland somewhere. Now this man was adamant that no exceptions were going to be made of this change in policy. To cut a very long story short after nearly 40 minutes on the receiving end of my beloved he gave in and said in this instance he could make an exception. SHMBO passed the phone to me and said all sorted the man wants to talk to you, he said he would be happy to sanction the upgrade and apologised for the situation that had been caused by circumstances which were out of his control. I said thank you, to which he replied "that's some Missus you've got there Sir", I said just be thankful you have the Irish sea to protect you mate! " Oh I am sure she can walk across that" he said, and then said goodbye Sir.
I do not call her SHMBO for nothing  :dancing: :dancing: :dancing:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Nigel W

« Reply #2 on: 12 June, 2012, 07:26:32 PM »
I agree Pat. If you don't complain you get nothing.  If companies or EA's don't get complaints when they try it on it encourages them to push the boundaries even further.

Some people said that when I complained about EA's not contesting any appeals it would result in more people paying penalties.  I disagree with this and I gave solid arguments why this would not be the case. 

If this was carried to a logical conclusion all EA's would start doing it.  There would then be meltdown everyone would automatically appeal and no tickets would be paid at all!

Whilst this situation might at first appear attractive obviously it would be unsustainable.  Just because what they were doing was not unlawful was not in my opinion reason to let them off the hook. 

This is the same situation with insurance companies who charge whatever they think they can get away with.  A few years ago I wanted to take my father to the states to see his granddaughter.  He was aged 95 at the time and had recently had a pacemaker fitted.  Some companies wanted to charge several thousand pounds for a three week trip!  Eventually after complaining I got full travel insurance for less than £200.

Offline tommy the trumpet

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:08:24 PM »
This one gave me a few laughs this guy really knows how to tie someone in knots:

http://www.27bslash6.com/halogen.html
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.    
Ciao Marco #58

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #4 on: 12 June, 2012, 09:29:00 PM »
This one gave me a few laughs this guy really knows how to tie someone in knots:

That is excellent, I wish I could rip the shit out of people so politely
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #5 on: 12 June, 2012, 10:22:11 PM »

:pmsl: :pmsl: :pmsl:
I really would want this man to be my neighbour, what a hoot it would be.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"