Author Topic: Driverless Cars. How Can They Ticket These? Who was driving? It was driverless!  (Read 3995 times)

Nigel W

Offline Marmite

• Follower
is a Penalty charge notice down to the registered owner for parking offences ???

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
is a Penalty charge notice down to the registered owner for parking offences ???

PCNs and/or FPN(N)s issued by either the Police or Local Authorities are ultimately enforced against the Registered Keeper.
FPN(E)s are enforced against the Driver.
« Last Edit: 04 July, 2012, 02:55:29 PM by DastardlyDick »

Offline tommy the trumpet

• Follower
Does the registered keeper have to be flesh and blood, as I seem to recall even a company owned vehicle has to have a name on the log book.

The reason why I ask is I have just had a new red log book returned for my company van and it only lists my company name on the front and the registered keeper part.
I am sure all the others I have ever had always had a name on it.

The company is a business and cannot possibly drive a vehicle so if I receive a pcn addressed to the company do they have a right(being a civil matter) to ask who was driving, as the default is the name on the log book who is not a living person.

Probably another dvla cock up but maybe a useful one.
The object of life is not to be on the side of the majority, but to escape finding oneself in the ranks of the insane.    
Ciao Marco #58

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
I'd have to check, but I believe that, while Company vehicles do not have an actual persons name on them, it is the Company Secretary (or equivalent) that "owns" the vehicle.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
I think it is the case that the keeper has to be a person. My mate used to deal in ex police bikes and the chief constable of the force in question was always the keeper.
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
I think it is the case that the keeper has to be a person. My mate used to deal in ex police bikes and the chief constable of the force in question was always the keeper.

Yes, in the case of a Company that person is the Company Secretary. They are not named on the Registration Document, because otherwise you'd have to change it if you got a new Company Secretary - imagine doing that for a large fleet like Hertz UK Ltd!