Author Topic: Did not see Mr Waffle Box  (Read 4366 times)

Offline javabike

• Follower
Did not see Mr Waffle Box
« on: 01 December, 2012, 09:00:44 AM »
Had a few home made beers - short of a pub that makes its own - it is the best beer.

Listening to Barnsie (Jimmy Barnes - Australian R&R - born in Wales lol). Chisel and Jimmy are the best, music that speaks words of wisdom and yet touches your heart.

First time I heard Chisel/Barnes was in 1992 near Christmas on the Domain in Sydney - free festival took my 4 kids (single dad and all - mum had run away - yep from me don't blame her). I was about to leave and Jimmy started up with a sad, yet somehow beautiful song - he always yells his songs in tune. We stayed till the end and I have been a fan every since.

When I am down and feeling self centred I listen and get on with my life again. That is the point of music to lift your spirits.

So feeling happy and ready for life again.
Vincit Veritas - Truth WILL Prevail
!!!!!Never Give In

Offline javabike

• Follower
Re: Did not see Mr Waffle Box
« Reply #1 on: 01 December, 2012, 09:35:06 AM »
The humidity today was high - no idea the number I have no method to view.
The garage has a thermometer, so I know the temp it is 29 degrees, dark(it is 8.30 at night) and lightly raining, ergo another hot and humid day tomorrow - dry heat is far more bearable.

I thought I might go to the beach tomorrow if it is not raining, too dangerous to swim in the rain - the sharks usually come close to the beach and feed. Makes riding home legless.
Nothing wrong with sharks they normally stay clear of people, but rain is not helpful.
Also do not swim at night - sharks are more likely to be close in shore.

Have to get my togs out of storage to go swimming, not been used in 3 years.

!!!!!Never Give In

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #2 on: 01 December, 2012, 10:02:59 AM »
Sharks, the most venomous little Octopus on earth, Sea snakes, Box jelly fish!!!  DON'T DO IT DAVE! have a cold shower instead mate.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline javabike

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 01 December, 2012, 10:33:51 AM »
lol, cold shower without sea breeze and sand?????
On second thoughts I might just look.....  :)
!!!!!Never Give In

Offline javabike

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 01 December, 2012, 10:36:21 AM »
When I was about 18 I went skin diving with sharks - I thought they were dolphins. A very quick exit..

I was actually spear fishing (it was legal then) luckily I am a terrible shot - really hard to judge distances and motion under water.
I was up at Seals Rock (ergo seals and dolphins) - it is not called Sharks Rock. The water was crystal clear and so added to the visual issue.
« Last Edit: 01 December, 2012, 10:45:33 AM by javabike »
!!!!!Never Give In

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #5 on: 01 December, 2012, 12:14:05 PM »
Sharks don't attack CEOs. Something to do with professional courtesy, apparently.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #6 on: 29 March, 2013, 08:54:21 AM »
I  saw this and thought you may find it interesting, I  am guessing it won't be long before we in the UK will see this.

http://www.thenewspaper.com/news/40/4058.asp

How many tickets per hour would they have to issue to pay for running a helicopter?  <_>
« Last Edit: 29 March, 2013, 09:00:54 AM by Pat Pending »
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #7 on: 29 March, 2013, 09:51:37 AM »
Hellychopper enforcement is already used in Derbyshire, mainy on roads around Matlock Bath, Cat and Fiddle and other popular "HowFastCanIGoBeforeIKillMyselfOrSomeoneElse" routes.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #8 on: 29 March, 2013, 10:23:39 AM »
Hellychopper enforcement is already used in Derbyshire, mainy on roads around Matlock Bath, Cat and Fiddle and other popular "HowFastCanIGoBeforeIKillMyselfOrSomeoneElse" routes.

I  didn't know that Coco,  it must cost a few bob to enforce using this method.

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #9 on: 29 March, 2013, 01:43:53 PM »
It certainly does cost a bomb to operate a helicopter, two years ago it was around £1000 per hour plus crew costs. At a guess I would say total opcosts of some £500,000 to £600,000 per annum, assuming a daily use of 1 hour per day. So they would have to issue over 10,000 PCNs a year to cover the costs even if they were able to keep all of the penalty income.

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #10 on: 29 March, 2013, 04:44:21 PM »
Yes, it is hideously expensive to operate helicopters, but if you've already got the Helicopter (as most UK Police have) then that cost is already budgeted for, so no extra expenditure. I would guess that they wouldn't send it up solely on speed enforcement, it'd be done on a 'on your way back to base from there could you have a look at here' the Met's India 99 has spotted all sorts of stuff while heading back to base, which is passed on to the local units. You wouldn't necessarily have to have all that fancy techy stuff on board either (although all UK Police Helicopters already have cameras, seachlights etc. as a minimum), just use a good old fashioned stop watch - vehicle passes landmark A, start watch, passes landmark B, stop watch - landmarks A and B are X distance apart so vehicle was doing Y mph. There used to be a machine that did the calculation for you, all you had to do was press the buttons.
« Last Edit: 29 March, 2013, 04:46:35 PM by DastardlyDick »

Offline dangerous beanz

• Follower
« Reply #11 on: 29 March, 2013, 09:59:08 PM »
IIRC the big white dots or squares painted on some carriageways  are  there for helos to time a car over a measured mile
If there is a tourist season...how come we can't shoot them?

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #12 on: 30 March, 2013, 06:18:23 AM »
IIRC the big white dots or squares painted on some carriageways  are  there for helos to time a car over a measured mile

Yes, I think you're right.

The scary bit in that article for me was this bit:-
"France embraced the same concept of surprise with a much more cost-effective, ground-based roving speed camera. Instead of taking to the air, a radar antenna is hidden behind the license plate of a Renault Megane that is intended to blend in with ordinary traffic and issue citations while moving on the highway. The French government began deploying twenty of the moving speed camera cars across 18 departments on March 15, less than a month after receiving type approval of the technology from a government agency."