Author Topic: One Small Step Against WCC Bike Parking Tax.  (Read 4766 times)

Offline Legolas

• Follower
One Small Step Against WCC Bike Parking Tax.
« on: 03 March, 2013, 08:22:04 PM »
Firstly, since I haven't posted for a while, many congratulations on the documentary. All good stuff and about time the media showed an interest.

I'm not sure if you guys are still interested in Westminster's Motorcycle Parking Charge, but for those that are, I've been continuing to chip away on social exclusion.

Some of you may remember that in 2011, WCC tried to quietly remove the option to pay in advance for bike parking. This small concession existed because of the blatant social exclusion problems of having Pay by Phone as the only means of paying the charge. However it is costly and inconvenient for the council to take pre-payments.

Without wishing to blow my own trumpet, it was thanks to my efforts with Lee Rowley that the pre-pay option was reinstated.

Then last year the council tried again to remove the option. Again I managed to reverse the decision, this time through the new council leader Philippa Roe.

However in order for pre-pay to be seen as even remotely addressing social exclusion, it has to work from older pulse dialling phones as well as touchtone phones. Unfortunately the Pay by Phone system only works with touchtone phones. In pursuing this point, Philippa Roe wrote to me last week and stated the following:

"There is a telephone line available for those who only have access to a pulse dialling telephone. The number is 0203 362 7000, and lines are open 24 hours per day, 7 days a week for motorcyclists to purchase their permits, but I must stress that the line is an alternative only to those who are not able to engage the systems available using more up to date telephone devices."

The fact that she emphasizes that this number must ONLY be used by people without touchtone phones rather suggests that accepting payments this way is costly and inconvenient for the council and/or Verrus.

However, since many people still have pulse phones (myself included) I believe that the number should be distributed far and wide so that those people that need it can find it.

The reason I'm rambling on like this is to make one startlingly simple point - I alone have won concessions on bike parking three times now, all based around social exclusion, which, if utlized by large numbers of people, will be hugely problematic for the council.

If the scheme was sound and social exclusion wasn't an issue, there is no way on earth that Joe Punter me, without any political muscle, could have won these concessions. The fact that I have, clearly shows that the council is anxious about the social exclusion problem and to me shows that had those with more clout than me taken social exclusion seriously at the outset, that the bike parking charge could have been beaten.

Anyway, rant over. The main reason for this post is to try to publicize the new pulse dialling access number (since I'm certain WCC would prefer to keep its existence quiet - though I have asked them for a full list of places and publications where the number is advertised).

So, to recap, to pay in advance from a pulse dialling landline call:

0203 362 7000

Spread the word and keep up the good work.

« Last Edit: 03 March, 2013, 08:27:10 PM by Legolas »

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
Re: One Small Step Against WCC Bike Parking Tax.
« Reply #1 on: 04 March, 2013, 01:56:29 AM »
An excellent result Legolas! And well done for being so persistent - I'm in awe of your stamina.

Now, I wonder where I can find a pulse tone mobile phone?  :rotfl:

Offline Belplasca

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 04 March, 2013, 07:30:46 AM »
An excellent result Legolas! And well done for being so persistent - I'm in awe of your stamina.

Now, I wonder where I can find a pulse tone mobile phone?  :rotfl:
Often found in "antique" shops...

I actually have one, but if I hook it up my broadband fails...

Plus, I have effectively felt "excluded" from WasteMonster ever since they introduced the charge. I just will not pay the fine for using a motorbike...

Bob
Blanka (my partner) has signed up on a challenge to help the Marie Curie Hospice in Hampstead.

Help her at http://www.justgivin...lanka-Rathauska

Offline scalyback

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 22 February, 2014, 03:30:25 PM »
Just sent them this in reply to their complaints page.
I am very f***ed off indeed, having not been to London for some years.
I mean it all too! Sod them!

The need to display a tax disc that apparently will be scrapped soon,
and my visiting friend from Russia could not enter his plate number,
plus, since a slight problem with repayment to the credit companies, I only have cash or cheque now.

I been told I cannot pay the parking for parking my bike with cash, but you will certainly accept cash payment for the fine if I get one.

So I get the message, I'm just a bit of a looser with no credit card, and your scheme seems to be suggesting that I sod off somewhere else and don't contaminate your parking spaces.

OK, forget it, I'll park in Camden and get the tube.

Simon

Offline scalyback

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2014, 09:37:11 PM »
and here we go again,

The Mayor says that bicycles and motorcycles reduce congestion, Transport for London have allowed motorcycles to use the bus lanes.
Two wheelers take up less room, produce less congestion, less wear on road surfaces, less room to park, and as in most large cities around the world, are welcomed as an aid to help solve the problems that cars can bring!, OH, except in Westminster, where for some reason, they repay my effort to be greener and all that by actually penalising me by way of charging money to park my motorcycle.

Following thats sense, why don't they charge people with electric cars, three times the normal amount to park there as well? and encourage ten tonne lorries (especially with faulty combustion systems) with free parking?

Everywhere else I have been, UK, France, Switzerland even, have this idea about "Thanks for being greener and less congesting, here's a small free parking space for your motorcycle." Westminster??? Well, I don't actually have a credit card, and they don't take cash, so I am excluded. Not a nice feeling, and reminds me of an advert from the nineties,

NO CREDIT CARD?
NO MOBILE?
The F*** OFF !
WESTMINSTER, THE FRANK THANK!

So there you go, I'm not good enough to be able to go park my motorcycle in Westminster.

Offline Legolas

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 26 March, 2014, 10:33:17 AM »
Simon,

Email your problem to Westminster on:
parkingservices@westminster.gov.uk

Mark the email for attention of Leith Penny and quote reference WCC/93338.
Attached is an extract from that reference of what he had to say on the issue only earlier this month.

Loads of people have had this problem but almost no-one tells the council about it. It's important to register the problem.

And for everyone else, let's get that phone number above publicized and make life easier for all bikers:

0203 362 7000

The charge remains - therefore the fight continues!

>:(

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player