Author Topic: Problems in Plymouth bus lanes  (Read 14005 times)

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
Re: Problems in Plymouth bus lanes
« Reply #15 on: 09 February, 2017, 12:32:06 PM »
I'm going to be staying just outside Plymouth for a week in July - but won't have the bike with me (not allowed to tow a 1 ton boat and trailer with a motorcycle for some daft reason!).

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #16 on: 09 February, 2017, 12:39:06 PM »
I'm going to be staying just outside Plymouth for a week in July - but won't have the bike with me (not allowed to tow a 1 ton boat and trailer with a motorcycle for some daft reason!).

I would go in my cage too. I have never been a fan of long bike journeys.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
« Reply #17 on: 09 February, 2017, 02:19:34 PM »
Back to the first photo of the approach to the first junction, the feed off to the right has the bus lane starting at the split in the road; this has no or an incorrectly positioned start sign so wouldn't be enforceable. If there were one would it make drivers any more cautious approaching the latter junction?
Willing to do my bit...

Offline Rae

• Follower
« Reply #18 on: 14 February, 2017, 11:19:21 AM »
Plymouth; of course; has been up here before for their novel approach to road lining. This one still gets me...

Love the photo! Maybe the painter/designer was thinking of parking on a ro-ro ferry? It could be made to work, in theory, just about! Anyway, it is useful background info on their thinking on road layouts.

Another aspect to the Embankment Rd bus gate is that the planners intended to divert most traffic away from Embankment Rd. That is, they want to divert eastbound traffic away from the A374 (in blue circle on attached picture) and on to the other (parallel) A374. Easy, how can drivers not understand that?

Offline Rae

• Follower
« Reply #19 on: 14 February, 2017, 11:30:47 AM »
Hmmmm.   <thinking>

A $chunt. In Plymouth. In the summer.  :idea:

Me, the missus, a hotel for the weekend, a meal and some beers in the evening with some $chunting thrown in somewhere along the way. 

I could go for that.  ;D

Anyone care to join us?

Maybe that's a good time for me to see & learn how to $chunt? July might work for me too.

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #20 on: 14 February, 2017, 08:59:58 PM »
Might possibly be able to make a Plymouth $chunt work this summer. Mrs Coco has declared herself unaverse to driving my car with the boat on its trailer so that I can ride down. I'll post more details following further discussions with the memsahib.

Anyone else up for it?

Offline Rae

• Follower
« Reply #21 on: 15 February, 2017, 10:49:20 AM »
Might possibly be able to make a Plymouth $chunt work this summer. Mrs Coco has declared herself unaverse to driving my car with the boat on its trailer so that I can ride down. I'll post more details following further discussions with the memsahib.

Anyone else up for it?

Hope I've not got the wrong end of the stick - does the group sometimes raise awareness at a static 'honeypot', or do all events need mobility? I don't have amotorbike. Bald Eagle's report of his work in Glasgow a year or two ago seemed to be mainly at one point.

Plymouth may be having problems with their camera car, with this story saying it was loss-making;
http://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/council-denies-plymouth-s-camera-car-is-operating-at-32-000-loss/story-29517282-detail/story.html

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #22 on: 15 February, 2017, 11:12:00 AM »
Bus lane $chunts are nearly always static because they are usually enforced by means of static cameras that cannot, of course, run away from our attention**. My preference for using the bike in Plymouth is that it would be quicker to get from where  am staying and also be easier to park. On previous visits to your charming city, by car, I have been compelled to spend much valuable holiday time "enjoying" the benefits of your traffic jams!

** There are some places where cars are used for enforcement and in these places a motorcycle is the most effective means of helping the council achieve its objective of 100% compliance and zero tickets issued.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #23 on: 17 February, 2017, 02:09:00 PM »
Plans are currently being made for a $chunt at this bus gate. No details will be published on the forum as we don't want to tip them off as to when it will be happening.

If anyone is interested in joining us, please either PM me or give me a call if you have my details.

@Rae. Please check your PMs ;)
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #24 on: 19 February, 2017, 10:35:14 AM »
Please keep me up to date with the details, if I can make it, I will!
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #25 on: 22 February, 2017, 10:39:14 AM »
Please keep me up to date with the details, if I can make it, I will!

Have emailed you details.  ;)
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline jonesy

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #26 on: 22 February, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
 <Thumbsup>

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player