Author Topic: Local Elections  (Read 5033 times)

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Local Elections
« on: 25 April, 2013, 07:37:50 PM »
As I'm sure everybody one here is aware, it's Local Elections time again.

In my Constituency, a certain Cllr Stuart Pile is standing for re-election. In his election leaflet there's lots of stuff about how fantastic the roads are in Hertfordshire, and how much money he's saved while in charge of Hertfordshire Highways etc. Mysteriously missing is any mention of the f*** up his department made of the Hemel Hempstead Bus Gate.

Do you think I should vote for him?

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
Re: Local Elections
« Reply #1 on: 25 April, 2013, 08:11:06 PM »
Errrr, no - but I guess that depends on how bad his opponents are, they could be even worse!

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #2 on: 25 April, 2013, 08:20:10 PM »
Did I hear you right, Dick? There's a stupid pile Standing like an erection? I suppose if he's saved enough money to cover what he lost in that massive money pit then he can't be all bad. Unless of course he's full of shit and has saved nothing at all. Then again I suppose a million quid is such an insignificant sum, it's hardly worth a mention. Best to go with your gut on this one.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #3 on: 25 April, 2013, 08:30:25 PM »
Errrr, no - but I guess that depends on how bad his opponents are, they could be even worse!

Yep, you need to vote for those that you think will do the LEAST damage, terrible state of affairs really!!
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 25 April, 2013, 09:19:07 PM »
Just what I was thinking guys, so far the only other candidates I've leaflets from are the Lib-Dem and the Green.

I think Pile is panicing though, just had another leaflet through the door, telling me that no lesser personage than my MP (and Chairman of the Conservative Party) is endorsing him!

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #5 on: 25 April, 2013, 09:42:08 PM »
Oh well then, you must vote for him, they gave you a leaflet  :bashy:

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #6 on: 26 April, 2013, 11:45:31 AM »
Perhaps this recent email exchange (below) will help you make your mind up Dick.

The way I read it, they are going to have some plans drawn up BEFORE asking us for the benefit of our experience, and these plans will then be put out for consultation. What I want to know is, how many hours are the planners going to stand on that corner watching driving habits in order to establish the best plan for this junction?

My fear is that when we are finally asked for our advice it will be too late, because the planners will be presenting what is effectively a fait accompli.

Obviously the planners are the experts and couldn't possibly have got anything wrong, because they will have been paid vast sums of public money, just like the experts who designed and installed the previous system. Or am I being too cynical?

Anyway, if you want to vote for him then go ahead mate. I know what I would do in your position.

--------------------------------------------------

Dear Cllr. Pile

It has come to the NoToMob's attention that you have new contractors on board, and that you are currently consulting with them on a replacement design for the Moor End Road bus gate. We are disappointed to note that despite your announcement that you would welcome the public's input when undertaking any re-development, thus far you have not invited us to participate.

We are still willing to provide you with the benefit of our experience in this matter and would welcome an invitation to meet with council representatives and your contractors (Opus Arup) to discuss matters.

Kindly acknowledge safe receipt of this e-mail

Yours sincerely

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.s. If you haven't already seen the BBC documentary "Parking Mad", here is a link (below). The BBC are currently planning 4 more episodes, and we have been invited to participate.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Dear xxxxxxxxxxxxxx,

You are correct that Herts Highways ceased to exist when the contracts ended on 30 September last year.  We now have a number of contractors working in a suite of 7 contracts.  The main highways maintenance contractor is Ringway, and for design etc it is Opus Arup in partnership.

We are still not now receiving many requests for repayment of fines, and so we expect to pay money to the local hospice shortly as detailed in previous public papers.

At the moment there is no formal work going on to reinstate the ANPR cameras, and they remain bagged.  However, we are in the very early stages of discussions with Dacorum Borough Council, and the local MP to establish what redevelopments for the town centre are planned.  As part of these changes we are looking for a solution to the Moor End Road problem, where motorists are still going through this road, and buses are still being delayed.

We will be consulting very widely once any ideas are found to be feasible, and outline plans come forward, and I would be very happy to have your input, and that of other groups at that time.

We will not repeat the mistakes of the past.

Regards,

Cllr Stuart Pile

Executive Member for Highways & Transport
Hertfordshire County Council
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #7 on: 26 April, 2013, 11:57:18 AM »

Hopefully, nor will the electorate.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #8 on: 26 April, 2013, 04:27:46 PM »

Hopefully, nor will the electorate.

Well, this member of the Electorate definitly won't be!

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #9 on: 27 April, 2013, 02:21:50 PM »
Well, this member of the Electorate definitly won't be!
  :aplude: :aplude:

Offline Staps

• Follower
« Reply #10 on: 27 April, 2013, 05:15:58 PM »
"We are still not now receiving many requests for repayment of fines"

I was wondering, How did they inform the motorists that they could get their money back

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #11 on: 29 April, 2013, 09:23:59 AM »
I was wondering, How did they inform the motorists that they could get their money back

They wrote to the address of the registered keeper and asked them if they wanted their money back or whether they would rather the money went to a charity of the council's choice.

It was emotional blackmail of the worst kind in my opinion. It was almost as if they were saying to the motorist, "Look! You got off on a technicality so let us give your hard earned to charity because deep down you know you did wrong."

What part of "...the alleged contravention did not occur" do they not understand?

Makes my blood boil. :bashy: :bashy: :bashy: :bashy: :bashy: :bashy: :bashy: :bashy: :bashy:
WE ARE WATCHING YOU