Author Topic: NSL Patient Transport Services - Massive Fail  (Read 9532 times)

Offline BGB

• Follower
NSL Patient Transport Services - Massive Fail
« on: 10 July, 2013, 01:24:54 PM »
NSL a day late taking a patient home from hospital.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-kent-23252698

NSL said the "unsatisfactory service" had been due to "unforeseen challenges".

This wouldn't be by any chance the organisation which states in its website:

"At NSL Care Services we provide your patients with safe, comfortable and efficient transfers. Our staff are dedicated to making sure they arrive at your specified destinations safely, and a caring, timely, reliable and cost-effective transport service to the public and private sectors.  Here, the patient always comes first."

Obviously the requirement to transport a patient comes as an "unforeseen challenge" to a Patient Transport Service whose "skills and expertise make them ideally placed" to "deliver quality services."

« Last Edit: 10 July, 2013, 03:41:23 PM by BGB »

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Re: NSL Patient Transport Services - Massive Fail
« Reply #1 on: 11 July, 2013, 09:00:37 AM »
"In June 2012, patients in Lincolnshire complained that they were forced to pay for taxis to get to hospital following problems with NSL's transport booking system.

The Derby Telegraph reported similar issues in March this year."

Someone's not learning from their mistakes. I'm talking about the health trusts that are trusting these bell ends in the first place.

A bell end,

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 11 July, 2013, 10:30:55 AM »
This is one of the problems with Compulsory Competitive Tendering - the NHS Trusts have to take the cheapest offer, regardless of whether they think the tenderer is up to the job.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #3 on: 09 August, 2014, 08:33:35 AM »
Thought I would resurrect this thread because just like Lazarus, life has once again been breathed into the story of NSL Ltd's failings in the area of patient transport. This time its people in Devon and Cornwall who are suffering at the hands of Bellend and her mates.

How many more times are we going to have to hear their weasel apologies FFS? <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy: <bashy2> :bashy:

-----------------------------------------------------------------

http://www.westernmorningnews.co.uk/Firm-run-private-ambulance-service-given-chance/story-22128583-detail/story.html

Firm who run private ambulance service given last chance, as fears grow on outsourcing

Health bosses have issued an ultimatum to a private company running non-emergency patient transport in Devon and Cornwall, saying it has one last chance to get services up to scratch.

NSL, previously known as car park company NCP, took over patient transport from the South Western Ambulance NHS Trust last year but has since been on the end of numerous complaints.

In a letter sent to Exeter MP and former health minister Ben Bradshaw, which has been seen by the Western Morning News, the group which holds the purse strings for buying healthcare indicated that its patience was wearing thin.
ADVERTISEMENT

The letter, signed by Caroline Dawe, the Northern locality managing director of the Northern, Eastern and Western Devon Clinical Commissioning Group (CCG), said they were aware of “NSL failings” and what patients encountered “often repeatedly”.

She said talks were under way “to resolve issues” and a programme of re-negotiation had been embarked upon with the aim of ensuring the system worked for all.

However, she added that further action had not been ruled out: “This is the final attempt to make it work before the CCG considers other options.”

The letter admits that “NSL is not delivering the standard of the service that the CCG

as commissioners expected to be delivered”.

It says it has been “very disappointing” in terms of upset to patients, impact on hospitals and expectations.

Mr Bradshaw said the outsourcing of the service from the NHS had been “disastrous”.

He expressed grave concern about privatisation of parts of the health service, highlighting the much criticised out-of-hours GP service run by multinational firm Serco in Cornwall as another example.

“I am very concerned about the scale of privatisation of the NHS in the Westcountry under this Government, for which it has no democratic mandate,” he said.

“There was the disastrous performance of Serco, who were handed the contract to run out-of-hours GP services in Cornwall.

“We now have the appalling performance of the private company put in charge of patient transport services in the South West after the contract was taken away from the publicly owned Ambulance Service.

“The Government should now stop further privatisations and let the people decided in next year’s election.”

A joint statement from NSL and the NHS in Devon, including NEW Devon CCG, and the county’s hospitals, said work was under way to improve matters.

“We are sorry that our patients are continuing to experience problems with the non-emergency transport service, managed by the NEW Devon CCG, and provided by NSL Care Services,” it said.

“It is unacceptable that our patients are currently having this experience.

“The NEW Devon CCG and healthcare providers that use NSL Care Services will continue to monitor this situation closely and are working together to resolve this issue as quickly as possible.”

A spokesman for NHS Kernow said issues had been raised in an inspection, but these had been resolved.

“We are continuing to work closely with NSL to ensure patients receive the high levels of care we expect from all our providers, and would like to reassure people that we are monitoring the situation.”

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #4 on: 05 May, 2015, 07:13:34 PM »
Finally some good(ish) news. NSL Ltd are to cease endangering the lives of vulnerable patients in Kent but they still have until June next year to try and kill some of them off.

Dr Bellend is currently bidding to have NSL Ltd's incompetence extended claiming that she is committed to 'building on what NSL Ltd has achieved during the first contract'. Some of NSL Ltd's, ahem, 'achievements' include,

Patients either late for or missing their appointments
Clashes between management and crews
Shoddy criminal records checks on potential new staff
Two exploding ambulances
Four out of five key requirements not reaching mandatory standards
Drivers given wrong details and addresses
Patients being made to wait into the night after appointments to be taken home
confusing and difficult to access booking procedures

A spokesman for the NHS West Kent Clinical Commissioning Group said, "I think NSL Ltd should should probably stick to what it is good at. I've no idea what that is but from what I've heard, it's definitely not parking."

http://www.sevenoakschronicle.co.uk/Private-ambulance-firm-deal-renewed/story-26194244-detail/story.html
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #5 on: 05 May, 2015, 11:33:24 PM »
NSL's finest at work.

WE NEED TO TALK ABOUT THIS WOMAN ABOUT HER TARGETS

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 05 May, 2015, 11:34:15 PM »
Were the two ambulances being used to store combustible pants???
Willing to do my bit...

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #7 on: 06 May, 2015, 03:11:02 AM »
I suspected you might be onto something there so I had a little digging session. Back in March 2014, Alastair Cooper said, "F :o ck this, I'm outta here",

http://www.ashfordherald.co.uk/NSL-private-ambulance-firm-boss-quits/story-20806913-detail/story.html

Actually, he left to 'pursue other things' (one of those things being keeping his name out of news stories). Anyway, at the bottom of that story, Dr Bellend told the Ashford Herald that "all the Care Quality Commission issues had been addressed." <Whistle>

A quick cross reference on the CQC website reveals that Dr. Bellend either had a pair of combustible trousers on or she had been inhaling fumes from one of her smouldering ambulances before making the statement.

http://www.cqc.org.uk/location/1-873444976/inspection-report/INS1-1937028752/16#report-top

There's quality stuff from the NSL Ltd South West Region. 18th April 2015, still endangering patient's lives with shoddy maintenance schedules, ineffective defect reporting, sporadic transport planning, or my own personal favourite,

"One record noted an ambulance brakes making a grinding noise. Staff told us they had written this on the white board and that the next day the white board was cleared without staff being given feedback or reasons why remedial action was not taken."     :o     :o     :o     :o     :o

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #8 on: 06 May, 2015, 04:39:28 PM »
Anyway, at the bottom of that story, Dr Bellend told the Ashford Herald that "all the Care Quality Commission issues had been addressed."

Actually Ewan, I think you may have been a bit harsh in your appraisal of Ms Webb-Blofeld's words.

She correctly states that all the issues had been addressed. However, there's nothing to say they had done a good job of it (evidenced by 4 out of 6 "Not met this standard" reports). <bashy2> :bashy:

Next time I see her I must ask her how she would like the media to put a positive spin on such an epic fail. After all, that's what she demanded at Parkex 2015.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #9 on: 06 May, 2015, 05:28:51 PM »
I would think she'll probably want to take those meddling CQC inspectors to task first.

"Care Quality Commission inspectors incorrectly alleged that one of our ambulances had a serious mechanical fault. Our own managers conducted an investigation and could find no evidence at all to corroborate these allegations. The whiteboard where the inspectors claimed the fault was recorded was found to be completely clear."