Author Topic: Suspended for trying to help? What is going on?  (Read 2699 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Suspended for trying to help? What is going on?
« on: 05 September, 2013, 08:52:14 PM »
Health and Safety gone mad? W:T:F:

--------------------------------------------------------

A railway worker has been suspended after going on to train tracks in Essex to help a disabled woman who had fallen off the platform edge.

The member of platform staff at Southend Central station was one of a number of people who went to the elderly woman's aid on 28 August.

The tracks were clear by the time the next train arrived at the station.

A spokesman for train company c2c said its employee had been suspended while an investigation took place.

Bob Crow RMT

What did they expect him to do - just stand by and watch?”

He said: "We have strict rules regarding the safety procedure for the quickest way of stopping trains in an emergency.

"An employee has been suspended while our investigation into this incident continues."
'Absolutely diabolical'

Bob Crow, general secretary of the National Union of Rail, Maritime and Transport Workers, said the decision to suspend the worker was "diabolical".

"What did they expect him to do - just stand by and watch?" he said.

"All this person did was what anyone with any common sense would have done.

"He is one of our members and we will be supporting him. This is absolutely diabolical."

The nearest train was about a quarter of a mile away when the people were on the tracks. The driver did not have to apply emergency brakes.

An East of England Ambulance spokeswoman said paramedics were called at about 18:15 BST to treat a disabled woman, aged in her early 70s, who had fallen off the platform.

She added the woman, a wheelchair user, was taken to hospital for checks and was not critically injured.

----------------------------------

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-essex-23974522#TWEET880104
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
Re: Suspended for trying to help? What is going on?
« Reply #1 on: 06 September, 2013, 06:18:39 PM »
It's not often I agree with Bob Crow.....
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #2 on: 06 September, 2013, 09:20:18 PM »
Health & Safety madness!

These type of fuckwit morons actually get paid to stop people doing what is morally, ethically and compassionately right!  :bashy: :bashy: :bashy:

They would probably try to enforce our armed service personnel to carry out a risk assessment before obeying an order If they had half a chance! TOSSERS!!!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Caspar

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 09 September, 2013, 07:29:03 PM »
IMO he deserves a bonus, not suspension. This really is red tape gone crazy - I'd love to hear Jeremy Clarkson comment on it!  ;D

Offline melville-vs-medway

• Follower
  • The new word is NO..
    • My NoToMob $camera signs
« Reply #4 on: 10 September, 2013, 08:03:07 AM »
Hi

I've worked on the tracks engineering and every time I went for new passes and tickets for track work there were always station staff there doing the same safety courses..... I thought all rail staff had track awareness and safety tickets because they have to on track in emergencies  <_>
Check out my signs.. I have made a few copies and they're laminated..

http://paulsweb.hostei.com/notomob/signs/a4-printed-sign.jpg