Author Topic: 'Unpopular' Torbay CCTV car to be scrapped.  (Read 2721 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
'Unpopular' Torbay CCTV car to be scrapped.
« on: 20 January, 2014, 09:27:28 PM »
One down. Many to go :party: :dancing: :party: :dancing:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

'Unpopular' Torbay CCTV car to be scrapped

A Devon council is scrapping a CCTV parking enforcement car because it is losing money and is "unpopular".

Torbay Council introduced the car last year after several near misses involving pupils at schools in the resort.

The CCTV car, which costs £14,000 to run, issued 364 fines last year, generating £10,828, said the council.

Now Mayor Gordon Oliver has said it must go as the council faces spending cuts of £22m next financial year.

Councillor Robert Excell, executive member for transport, said the authority would be relying on traffic wardens instead.

"The mayor has indicated to me that is now time to get rid of the vehicle," he said.

"It is losing money and it also became very unpopular."

Malcolm Wright, head teacher of Hayes School in Torbay, said he wanted the CCTV retained.

"No amount of money is going to bring back a child if they are run over in the road," he said.

But Mr Excell said the camera was unpopular with many parents.

"People were thinking more about the camera than about what they were doing on the road," he said.

"We are looking at more friendly ways of enforcement."

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles said last year that he wanted to "rein in over-zealous and unfair rules", and that traffic wardens with cameras could do the job of camera cars instead.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-devon-25795526
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline «THÖMÅS®©™»

• Follower
Re: 'Unpopular' Torbay CCTV car to be scrapped.
« Reply #1 on: 21 January, 2014, 05:50:59 AM »
Why scrap what looks like a perfectly good car?  Why not have it auctioned off?  Waste of a car!
It's not "enforcement", it's "extortionate"!

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 21 January, 2014, 08:06:28 AM »
Would you buy a car with a hole in the roof?  :)
« Last Edit: 21 January, 2014, 09:20:37 AM by DastardlyDick »

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #3 on: 21 January, 2014, 09:05:05 AM »
The $car could be donated to the science museum so that future generations of school children can learn how their ancestors were terrorised by gangs of feral weasels. I digress. I was doing a bit of reading between the lines and I discovered this,

Torbay Council introduced the car last year after several near misses involving pupils at schools in the resort.

The CCTV car, which costs £14,000 to run, issued 364 fines last year, generating £10,828, said the council.

In a rare outbreak of honesty, Mayor Gordon Oliver has said, "F :o ck the children! It was only ever about the money anyway."

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 21 January, 2014, 09:30:19 AM »
I thought this bit was interesting:-

"People were thinking more about the camera than about what they were doing on the road"

So that's the "safety" aspect taken care of then!

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #5 on: 21 January, 2014, 12:27:36 PM »
I thought this bit was interesting:-

"People were thinking more about the camera than about what they were doing on the road"

So that's the "safety" aspect taken care of then!
I totally agree DD,  This is a good quote from a Council to use in the future.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Overlord

• Follower
Unpopular $cars and CEOs in Sutton
« Reply #6 on: 21 January, 2014, 08:46:00 PM »
http://www.suttonguardian.co.uk/news/10951874.Parking_wardens_threarened_with_crowbar/

I'm not sure this is the right way to encourage councils to make more use of CEOs rather than $cars, but it does show the strength of feeling that exists amongst motorists.

I'd just like to point out to new comers to our cause, that we do not condone this sort of behaviour and if anyone engaging in this sort of offence was found to be connected to the NoTo Mob, it could undermine our credibility and do us immense harm!
 :idea:

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 21 January, 2014, 11:01:59 PM »
It also gives the Council all the ammunition they need to use $cars at all.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #8 on: 22 January, 2014, 09:56:52 AM »
Hear hear gentlemen! Aggressive behaviour is very counter productive and can only harm the cause. If you really want to piss them off then donate your free time to give them every assistance in carrying out their duties in line with the Secretary of State's guidance. Just read a few $chunt reports to understand trolling at it's very best.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #9 on: 22 January, 2014, 10:36:54 AM »
But then again there is the other side of the story. A small group of public spirited motorcyclists was assaulted by several CEOs in another London Borough and no action was taken by the Police, the Borough or the company.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #10 on: 22 January, 2014, 12:00:38 PM »
So much for enforcement being about public safety. One of the little cherubs even offered to meet BE after work to "sort him out." There's a phrase that can be interpreted in a number of ways.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player