Author Topic: Kingston council's idea of a visible deterrent - hide behind a hedge  (Read 7205 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Can CCTV cars park on double yellow lines and in cycle lanes? Yes, says Kingston Council

Kingston Council-branded traffic monitoring cars across the borough have sparked complaints after they were spotted parked up in unusual places.

Cars parked on double yellow lines and in cycle lanes have led residents to question whether one rule exists for them, and another for the CCTV monitors.

And the answer, it seems, is yes.

A council spokesman said: “The CCTV cars are covered by a traffic order exemption, which applies when they are being used in the council’s service to enforce parking contraventions.

“When a CCTV car is waiting it is gathering evidence to support the issue of a penalty charge notice.”

One resident spotted a car in a cycle lane in Cox Lane, Chessington. She said: “They park here for a few hours and seem to be enjoying the rest time.

“When they have been told that they are parking on double yellows and across a cycle path, they ignore you and continue to be stationary there.”

Businessman Richard Hunt, from the Chessington Business Centre opposite the Cox Lane bus gate, snapped a photo of a CCTV car’s periscope peeking over a hedge near the junction.

He said: “It’s robbery.

“Hiding behind a bush and putting that telescopic camera up in the air – no one can see it.”

Traffic enforcement began at Cox Lane last month. Cars must use a separate lane to buses as they approach Sanger Avenue.

A council spokesman added: “If drivers complied with traffic regulations [in Cox Lane] then the CCTV car could be sent to ensure safety in other places, such as outside schools.

“Places where the CCTV vehicle can park to gather evidence at this location are limited.”

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/10993239.Can_CCTV_cars_park_on_double_yellow_lines_and_in_cycle_lanes__Yes__says_Kingston_Council/

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Re: Kingston council's idea of a visible deterrent - hide behind a hedge
« Reply #1 on: 09 February, 2014, 02:56:44 PM »
Kingston Council (not surprisingly) seems to want to have it's cake and eat it - on the one hand it says “Places where the CCTV vehicle can park to gather evidence at this location are limited.” but also says that “The CCTV cars are covered by a traffic order exemption, which applies when they are being used in the council’s service to enforce parking contraventions." . Since there are DYLs down that road then the $car is allowed to park on them with impunity and doesn't need to lurk behind a hedge. But then we all know that "it's all about the money!"
As for the first photo in that article, if that's not a prime example of "unnecessary obstruction" I don't know what is!

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 09 February, 2014, 11:07:57 PM »
If I had been there, I might have been tempted to call the police and have them stuck on for obstructing the highway! >:(

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 10 February, 2014, 04:08:55 PM »
If I had been there, I might have been tempted to call the police and have them stuck on for obstructing the highway! >:(

Nice idea, but by the time the Police got there, the $car would probably be long gone. :-(

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #4 on: 24 February, 2014, 12:37:52 PM »
This just in to our email account:

Dear all, bumped into You at Boxhill last year, is there anything that can be done with the little arse that sits 100 metres away from the bus lane at Cox lane, and Hunters rd Chessington industrial estate, morning and night hiding behind bushes and vans, did try and tweet you but new to twitter, hope you can help there is a press release below

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/archive/2014/02/07/10993239.Can_CCTV_cars_park_on_double_yellow_lines_and_in_cycle_lanes__Yes__says_Kingston_Council/

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----------------------------------

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #5 on: 24 February, 2014, 03:39:05 PM »
It'll be interesting to see if Kingston trot out the usual bullshit about their concerns for child welfare.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-london-24355263

Go on yer f :o ckers I dare ya. We'll make you famous.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 24 February, 2014, 11:14:24 PM »
This just in to our email account:

Dear all, bumped into You at Boxhill last year, is there anything that can be done with the little arse that sits 100 metres away from the bus lane at Cox lane, and Hunters rd Chessington industrial estate, morning and night hiding behind bushes and vans, did try and tweet you but new to twitter, hope you can help there is a press release below

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/archive/2014/02/07/10993239.Can_CCTV_cars_park_on_double_yellow_lines_and_in_cycle_lanes__Yes__says_Kingston_Council/

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

-----------------------------------

Re This article in the Surrey Comet. "Can CCTV Cars park on double yellow lines and in cycle lanes? Yes says Kingtston council"

In comment 15 there is a petition you can sign http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/55329

I've signed.
« Last Edit: 24 February, 2014, 11:20:18 PM by Overlord »

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player