Author Topic: Disqualified driver who killed moped rider appeals already pitiful sentence  (Read 3297 times)

Offline Boyo

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
This was sent to me recently and also appears on MAG's website.

http://www.mag-uk.org/en/newsdetail/a7157

Basically, a 16 yr old moped rider was knocked off her bike by a disqualified car driver, who stopped, didn't help & drove off, later covering up his involvement. Injured girl left in road & hit & killed by following traffic. Driver convicted but is now appealing against his sentence: 2 years for death; 4 years for perverting the course of justice.

There's a petition going at

http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/56314

I'm not a fan of chain-email, round robin type things, but this makes my blood boil. I don't know what good it'll do but I've just signed it - please do the same if you feel similarly.
"To no man will we sell, or deny, or delay right or justice" - from the Magna Carta

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
Disgraceful sentencing!

Petition signed.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
I signed this some days ago the cnut should have got 20 years at least!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Overlord

• Follower
PETITION SIGNED.
I've long been in favour of getting rid of this concurrent sentencing nonsense. If several offences are committed at the same time during a criminal act, the sentences should be added together, otherwise, punishment for only one offense will have been handed down.

In this case, the Volvo driver has compounded his criminality by leaving the victim in the road to be hit by following traffic, thereby causing death. The punishment for this should have been on a par with manslaughter. If the current law allows, it is my opinion that the sentence should be substantially increased at the appeal hearing.
« Last Edit: 20 February, 2014, 08:13:03 PM by Overlord »

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
Done
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Petion Signed

I hope the Judges throw this one straight out of Court! Aren't they allowed to Increase "inadequate" sentances these days?

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
Petion Signed

I hope the Judges throw this one straight out of Court! Aren't they allowed to Increase "inadequate" sentances these days?

"The Appeal Court does have the power to increase a sentence if it is felt that a sentence is unduly lenient.
Requests to consider referring a sentence can come from:
the prosecuting authority;
the victim or victim's family;
MPS;
Peers;
pressure groups;
members of the public
The Law Officers will consider all requests where a sentence can be referred, provided they are received within time."

Extract found here

Unfortunately it appears that this petition will not succeed as it will be outside the strict 28 days time limit for the Attorney General to take action.