Author Topic: The reasons why we wouldn't attend BPA Ltd's Parking Summit on 27 February 2014  (Read 2370 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Below is a copy of the letter sent to the BPA Ltd. The BPA Ltd tweeted us during the lunch break at the summit with the message "you were invited[,] tell the whole story". We are happy to oblige.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Re: Invitation to attend the BPA's Parking Summit - 27th February, London Councils?

Dear Mr xxxxxxx,

After some discussion with other members of the NoToMoB I am afraid I will be unable to attend the British Parking Association Limited (BPA Ltd) Parking Summit on 27th February 2014.

There are several reasons for this:

As members of the public I and also the NoToMoB cannot reconcile ourselves to accept the Chatham House Rule with regard to this meeting. The NoToMoB has tried to engage with the BPA Ltd the accredited trade association and with local authorities who are also members of the BPA Ltd, however in the face of a reluctance to acknowledge the documentary evidence of large scale wrongdoing and unlawful behaviour by members of the BPA Ltd, the NoToMoB members had no other choice but give this evidence to Parliament and Government, those elected bodies that have the power to do something.

As recently as January, press releases and articles released by the BPA Ltd and its members do not appear to be conducive to wanting to enter into constructive dialogue. The BPA Ltd and its membership state they wish to be open and transparent, then applying the Chatham House Rule flies in the face of such statements.

The Chatham House Rule is said to encourage openness and honesty without fear of identity or reporting, well that definitely infers that the starting position is one of possible obstruction and dishonesty both of which the NoToMoB has experienced at first hand from members of the BPA Ltd.

Also another reason is that no one person speaks on behalf of the NoToMoB, it is the way the campaign group has been set up, a group of members of the public who take the time to scrutinise within the law , local and central government and the parking industry, each with their specific talents in particular areas.

The NoToMoB is not and can never be part of the decision makers of policy for trade associations or local or central government unless it is as individual electors, but the NoToMoB can hold those decision makers and their agents to account. To have good governance there needs to be effective accountability and that is where the NoToMoB stand, but always within the law.

The parking industry has been here before with regard to clamping, where it was warned by government to get itself in order or legislation would be enacted. Well we all know what happened there. The parking industry is at a similar crossroad but this time the BPA Ltd member local authorities are under scrutiny along with their BPA Ltd member agents.

The NoToMoB really hope that your summit goes well but more importantly that what comes from it is a way forward to a fairer and more proportionate parking industry. For if the parking industry and that includes local authorities do not address the concerns of the people then Parliament and the Government will have no choice but to legislate the will of the people.

Please pass on to BPA Ltd Chief Executive Patrick Troy my thanks for the invitation and my sincerest apologies for not being able to attend.

Kind regards

xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

www.notomob.co.uk

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
This is a very accurate and well put statement, I 100% agree.  :aplude: :aplude: :aplude:
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
If I'd have been there I'd have preferred to sit next to Kelvin Reynolds rather than Patrick Troy. It's always best to choose the lesser of two weasels.
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Boyo

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
the lesser of two weasels.
:pmsl:  :pmsl:

Nice one Ewan!

I'd never realised how interchangeable the words "evil" and "weasel" were!

Reminds me of the old proverb, "the love of money is the root of all weasel"

Right, back on topic - I applaud and wholeheartedly agree with the statement made above and the stance taken  :aplude: :aplude:
"To no man will we sell, or deny, or delay right or justice" - from the Magna Carta

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
the lesser of two weasels.

Nice one Ewan!

I'd never realised how interchangeable the words "evil" and "weasel" were!

Reminds me of the old proverb, "the love of money is the root of all weasel"

Right, back on topic - I applaud and wholeheartedly agree with the statement made above and the stance taken  :aplude: :aplude:

Of course you could also combine the two words into weevil - yet another undesirable parasite!

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player