Author Topic: Mystery of parking meter on Sutton street where you can't park  (Read 4534 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Mystery of parking meter on Sutton street where you can't park

Motorists have complained after being hit with fines for using a “misleading” parking meter on a street where there is no pay-and-display parking.

A pay-and-display machine in Clyde Road has caused several unsuspecting people to receive fines of up to £110 as they presume it is for the parking bays next to it.

But these are for permit holders only, meaning people are then being given a ticket.

The nearest parking space that can be used by motorists using the machines is about 160m away – or a three-minute walk – on a completely different street.

Ex-fireman Charles Cornwell, 61, who has lived in Clyde Road for 35 years, said: “It’s the unfairness of it. It’s just a way of making revenue for the council, I think.

"It’s entrapment a lot of the time, putting a pay-and-display machine in a street where there is no pay-and-display parking.”

Mr Cornwell, who campaigned for the nurses that visited his wife in her final months to get free parking, says the Clyde Road ticket machine is redundant.

He claimed the machine is just a money spinner as there has not been pay-and-display parking on the street for at least eight years.
Ads by Google

You Could Be Owed £2400

Had A Capital 1 Credit Card? You Could Be Owed A Refund

capitalone.bankrefunds.net
    Fabric World in Sutton

Curtains, Blinds & Upholstery. 4000+ Fabrics. Visit Our Shop Today

fabricworldlondon.co.uk/Sutton

He said: “If I’m outside cleaning the van and I see someone at the machine I always shout. I actually tell people they can’t park here. That happens three or four times a month.”

Ray Donovan, from Clyde Road, who founded the Chris Donovan Trust after his son was murdered, was forced to step in when an employee was handed a fine for parking outside his house.

He said: “It’s disgusting to be honest. It’s not fair that she is doing charity work and now she has to pay for it. We [charity workers] have all put in £11 each to pay it.”

The only available pay-and-display parking bay is at the far end of Collingwood Road, off Clyde Road, with its own ticket machine.

The Department of Transport has advised local councils to remove unnecessary street furniture that could confuse or hinder motorists and pedestrians.

Sutton Council has acknowledged the confusion and has said it is taking the machine out of use.

A spokesman for the council said: “This machine has been taken out of use as the bays in this road are resident permit holders only. Anyone who feels they have been wrongly issued a penalty notice can appeal. Details of how to do this are given with the penalty.”

http://www.suttonguardian.co.uk/news/11142934.Mystery_of_parking_meter_on_sutton_street_where_you_can%27t_park/

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Re: Mystery of parking meter on Sutton street where you can't park
« Reply #1 on: 14 April, 2014, 11:52:23 AM »
If you look on Google Street View, there are two signs attached to a lamp-post near this machine which say 'Resident Permit Holders' and 'Pay and Display not valid', so to be fair to the Council concerned, it's not that they haven't tried to tell motorists that they can't park there unless they have the correct permit.
On the other hand, the machine should have been either removed, or had a "Not in Service" sign put on it.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #2 on: 14 April, 2014, 01:10:03 PM »
I try to be as fair as the next person Dick, but you can't get away with the fact the council have been sending someone down to collect the money from the pay and display machine in the full knowledge that they shouldn't be taking that money in the first place.

As usual the council are only doing the right thing AFTER they are caught with their fingers in the till.

That's just plain unfair and that I don't forgive.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #3 on: 14 April, 2014, 06:12:04 PM »
I can see your point up to a point Dick but the council have pulled a fast one here. The average person does not scrutinise every minute detail of a parking location in the same way we do. Finding a marked bay with a nearby ticket machine is all most people will see. Why would they bother to read a plate? The machine must be there for the bay. That was why it was put there, to catch people out. It's what weasels do.
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #4 on: 14 April, 2014, 06:58:40 PM »
I try to be as fair as the next person Dick, but you can't get away with the fact the council have been sending someone down to collect the money from the pay and display machine in the full knowledge that they shouldn't be taking that money in the first place.

As usual the council are only doing the right thing AFTER they are caught with their fingers in the till.

That's just plain unfair and that I don't forgive.

I totally agree with BE on this one,  the machine should have been removed as soon as it was out of use FFS! 
An FOI should be made to find out how much this machine earn the Council in the time it was not valid.
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 14 April, 2014, 07:11:25 PM »
I did say the machine should have been removed, and if the Council have been taking money from it - and we have no evidence that they have - then they should  (IMHO) donate it to charity (since refunds are not possible) as well as refunding any PCNs issued.

There's a similar situation on a road in Tooting where the machine is about 10 yards from the nearest parking place the tickets it issues are valid for!

« Last Edit: 14 April, 2014, 11:17:05 PM by DastardlyDick »

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #6 on: 14 April, 2014, 10:09:25 PM »
I did say the machine should have been removed, and if the Council have been taking money from it then they should  (IMHO) donate it to charity (since refunds are not possible) as well as refunding any PCNs issued.

There's a similar situation on a road in Tooting where the machine is about 10 yards from the nearest parking place the tickets it issues are valid for!

Is this still the case DD?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 14 April, 2014, 10:59:15 PM »
I did say the machine should have been removed, and if the Council have been taking money from it then they should  (IMHO) donate it to charity (since refunds are not possible) as well as refunding any PCNs issued.

Is this still the case DD?

Yes - I pointed it out to one driver today.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #8 on: 14 April, 2014, 11:12:22 PM »
So why don't we give them some shit over this?  Photos, details, people, blood group, DNA etc.
Over to you DD!
« Last Edit: 14 April, 2014, 11:17:09 PM by Pat Pending »

Offline scalyback

• Follower
« Reply #9 on: 15 April, 2014, 08:56:27 AM »
Not only has it been taking money for eight years, It has been issuing tickets as well.

Also, unless it is a solar panel machine, then it has been scoffing electricity too!

There is no way that the council can say it was out of use, when it would have needed the cash emptying, the ticket stock replenishing, and the fact that it was still functioning after eight years, indicates that it was somebodies little cash baby.

'Out of use' in my books means either the old type heavy canvas bag padlocked around it, pending removal, or making it non-functional.

As for the giving out or fines to motorists that unknowingly parked in the bays that appeared to be supported by the afore mentioned council's 'Donation box', they should be refunded where the motorist can produce a ticket, issued by that disgraceful and deceitful 'piggy bank', while it's ill gotten gains should be donated to charity.

Of course, it could be left there functioning, but with the signage amended to; "Council Donations Centre"

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #10 on: 15 April, 2014, 11:24:22 AM »
So why don't we give them some shit over this?  Photos, details, people, blood group, DNA etc.
Over to you DD!

Nothing I can do unfortunatly  :(

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #11 on: 15 April, 2014, 02:50:19 PM »
 :idea:
I wrote about this on the 14th of April under "New Series of Parking Mad" as I couldn't find how to start a new topic, but no one seems to have seen it. Perhaps some one can tell me how to start a new topic. I've seen the button come up on the odd occasion, but haven't been able to find it recently. Also, there seems to be a problem uploading pictures lately. Does anyone know anything about this?

Offline scalyback

• Follower
« Reply #12 on: 15 April, 2014, 04:02:11 PM »
do you have one of those 'ad blockers' on your browser? They can make button disappear. This has happened to me on other forums.

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #13 on: 15 April, 2014, 06:57:20 PM »
Thanks scalyback. I'll check this out.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #14 on: 15 April, 2014, 07:16:06 PM »
I reported the problem with uploading pictures to our main man. It seems that something has gone wobbly (See? I can get technical sometimes too) since our recent IT problems.

BILLIE!!!!!!!!!
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player