Author Topic: Waltham Forest $chunt - Wednesday 16 April 2014  (Read 2258 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Waltham Forest $chunt - Wednesday 16 April 2014
« on: 18 April, 2014, 02:01:21 PM »
It was a bright sunny day and a perfect one for $chunting. Boyo and me found ourselves with some spare time on our hands, so we decided to go $chunting out East London way. Newham had been in the spotlight the previous week having been forced (by us) to repay about £350k to motorists it had fined using uncertificated $cameras, and it was there that we decided to go first.

First we took a quick trip one of their favourite haunts in Ordnance Road, where it empties out onto Barking Road. Before the Olympics in 2012, the $car was an almost permanent fixture here and caught many hundreds, if not thousands of drivers not complying with the no right turn signs.

As we turned into Ordnance Road from Barking Road we were disappointed not to find the $car in its usual spot. It wasn't until we spun around that we realised why. The road layout is exactly the same now as it was in 2012 (and I have photos and Googlemaps to prove it), but for some reason Newham council have apparently decided that there are no longer any traffic management issues at this junction and have removed the no right turn signs. So why was it dangerous in 2012, but not now? <_> <_> <_>

Next stop was another favourite in Park Lane near the back entrance to the pen. Bingo! There was the $car, covert as usual and enforcing using the same old hand held video mounted on the dashboard. If you have ever $chunted at this spot you will know it is very quiet and frankly a little boring. So it came as a bit of a relief when the driver buggered off for a pee and some tea which gave us the excuse to go in search of something a little more exciting. We decided to lend a hand to the champion egg lobbers of Waltham Forest. ;D

We were all camerad up and ready for anything the WF drivers could throw at us (see what I did there ;)), but what transpired came as a bit of a shock. I can't say too much for now, but later next week all will be revealed.

Anyway, we followed a $car to a new honeypot in Hall Lane at the junction with Waverley Avenue and got our usual reception from drivers, with most giving the thumbs up and/or tooting their horns. We found out from local residents that when traffic is heavy along Hall Lane where it runs parallel with Waverley Avenue, drivers are known to go through the no entry sign at the top of Waverley Avenue in order to cut the corner and avoid the traffic. This is of course unacceptable behaviour by motorists and cannot be condoned, but we felt that assisting the $car with its visibility was a moral obligation that could not be avoided. ;D

While we were there, several passers by told us about another $car that was stationed a couple of hundred yards up the road at one of the old honeypot locations in Tufton Road. This struck me as extremely odd because I  had previously spotted that one of those new fangled, 24 hour a day automatic $cameras had been stuck on a pole to monitor this honeypot (and I have photos to prove it), so why station a $car there?

I went to investigate and lo and behold there was the $camera car, tucked away hiding behind a white van and parked on a yellow line as usual. I now have a photo of the $car and $camera both in operation at the same time and will shortly be writing to the head of parking at Waltham Forest to make her aware of this apparent waste of taxpayer money. :(

After a couple of hours of happy $chunting the $car at Tufton Road decided to head off and thought it would be funny to put his left indicator on when exiting Tufton Road onto Hall Lane (which is the offence he was there to enforce), but fortunately the motorists queuing in Hall Lane were having none of it and gave him a right ear bashing before he finally did the right thing by turning right. He then did what every other driver who wants to turn left does, and spun the car around to head off back down Hall Lane, which coincidentally took us right past the other $car and Boyo.

Boyo joined the pursuit and we followed the $car back to the pen which allowed us the perfect opportunity for our own pee and tea break at the cafe situated right next door to the pen. Suitably refreshed, and with that happy apres $chunt glow burning in our bellies, we headed off home in the happy knowledge that once again we had performed our civic duty in keeping the streets of Newham and Waltham Forest safe for the disabled, the children and the elderly of the borough for another day.

No tickets were issued on our watch, and no lives were risked, although it is worth reminding those reading this report (and I have it on good authority from several $car drivers that our site is closely monitored by some very high profile figures in the parking industry), that those who operate the $cars (the local authorities, not the drivers) will sit back quite happily and take the money from motorists while doing nothing whatsoever to stop drivers performing manouevres that are potentially fatal to those it purports to serve.

Shame on you. >:(
« Last Edit: 18 April, 2014, 02:19:51 PM by The Bald Eagle »
WE ARE WATCHING YOU