Author Topic: WCC Free Car Parks Bike Spaces - Info Needed.  (Read 2325 times)

Offline Legolas

• Follower
WCC Free Car Parks Bike Spaces - Info Needed.
« on: 15 April, 2014, 09:06:22 AM »
Been a while since I've been here, but I'm still chipping away at Westminster's most pernicious parking tax.

Regarding which I have a question: I've only used three Westminster Car Parks, Queensway, Leicester Square and Chinatown, and I'm pretty certain from memory that the bike spaces in those car parks are all in the farthest, darkest reaches of the car parks and as far as possible from the main entrance/exit (although there are a small number of spaces near the entrance at Queensway, but the main ones are in those darkest reaches). This is because the car park operators only grudgingly provided the free spaces after Westminster hurriedly told them to when the social exclusion problem was pointed out shortly after the charge was introduced.

In a recent letter however, Leith Penny insisted that bike parking spaces in the car parks were not confined to the outer limits but were comfortably situated near the main entrances. I know he's wrong in three cases, but I don't know about the rest as I've not used them.

So I thought I'd conduct a quick survey amongst those who use them - what is your experience of the bike spaces in all of Westminster's 10 or so car parks? Are all the spaces buried deep in the bowels of the car park or are they readily accessible?

Also I've heard that at least one of the car parks (Harley Street I believe) are now trying to "invite" users to pay a £5 fee. Has anyone had any experience of this and if so what's it all about? Is this the inevitable erosion of the free car park spaces that was predicted?

Any thoughts or advice gratefully received.

:)

Offline scalyback

• Follower
Re: WCC Free Car Parks Bike Spaces - Info Needed.
« Reply #1 on: 15 April, 2014, 04:34:11 PM »
Well the Q-park/westminster car park at Soho does not have any motorcycle spaces at all.

I may be wrong, but I seem to remember that the council thought there may be a 'Lady of the night' problem from having a 'red bike district' down there.  dr00L dr00L dr00L

Offline Virgil

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 15 April, 2014, 07:51:51 PM »
I've used Cavendish Square, admittedly not for a year or two. To be fair to WCC at the time it was as described. Given the nature of the spaces I'd be surprised if it has changed.

Offline Legolas

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 16 April, 2014, 08:03:09 AM »
Thanks chaps. Penny said that the Oxford Street car park's bike bays are near the entrance so if Cavendish Square is likewise that's two out of ten. The three I named have the parking well out of the way in the darkest recesses.

Anyone else know about the others?

Offline victory

• Civilian
« Reply #4 on: 17 April, 2014, 02:18:36 PM »
I have not been on the forum for a while but keeping a eye on all the good work you are all doing !!!
I use the Q Park Park Lane Car park and that is close to the Marble Arch exit , a long way to the entrance thought but always space available
Q Park oxford Circus is close to the entrance if you can get space if not you have to go 3 levels down and look sharp for a space
Q Park China Town is all the way down but very close to the exit doors and 4 flight of stairs
Q Park Moxon Street is outdoor and close to exit actually
Hope this helps 

Victory

Offline Legolas

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 23 April, 2014, 07:58:29 AM »
Many thanks Victory - it does indeed help.
:)
I've also heard that the £5 admin fee is more widespread than previously feared which rather blows WCC's frequent assertion that "...bikes can park for free in the car parks..." right out of the water!
Another missive heading their way!

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player