Author Topic: Sutton $camera cars give out 50,000 parking tickets in four years  (Read 4593 times)

Offline Overlord

• Follower
Sutton's Controversial Entrapment Opportunists making lots of money for themselves and Sutton Council!  >:(

http://www.SuttonGuardian.co.uk/news/11225295.Spy_cars_give_out_50_000_parking_tickets_in_Sutton_in_four_years/

I see I'm getting more exposure in the local press.  ;D
« Last Edit: 21 May, 2014, 04:14:07 PM by Overlord »

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Re: Sutton $camera cars give out 50,000 parking tickets in four years
« Reply #1 on: 21 May, 2014, 05:36:23 PM »
Council CCTV cars give out 50,000 parking tickets in Sutton in four years

Unpopular CCTV spy cars have been branded an "excuse to issue parking fines on an industrial scale" after handing out almost 50,000 tickets in four years.

Sutton Council uses cars equipped with cameras to monitor illegal parking around the borough.

The cars have proved unpopular with motorists, many of whom see them as a money making exercise rather than a parking enforcement measure.

Since their inception in 2010, they have handed out 49,426 fines to illegally parked motorists and last year the CCTV cars accounted for almost half the total number of parking tickets handed out.

A Sutton-based member of anti-CCTV car campaign group No to Mob has said the cars should be used as a deterrent rather than a money making scheme.

The campaigner, who goes by the pseudonym Overlord to protect his identity, said: "It's not the CCTV cars themselves as much as the way they are used that we have a problem with.

"They say it's not about raising revenue, that it's about keeping the roads safe but that's nonsense.

"We've seen CCTV cars hiding in bushes and with their cameras sticking up over walls to catch people - that's not a deterrent, that's just making money."

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles said the cars could be banned, calling them "over-zealous" last year but no legislation has been passed since then.

Emma Carr, acting director of civil rights group Big Brother Watch, added: "CCTV spy cars are just an excuse for councils to raise money from issuing parking fines on an industrial scale.

"The Government should urgently investigate whether or not the use of cameras to snoop on motorists breaches surveillance laws, particularly where a traffic warden sits in a control room looking for motorists to ticket."

Sutton Council has yet to respond to a request for comment.

http://www.suttonguardian.co.uk/news/11225295.Spy_cars_give_out_50_000_parking_tickets_in_Sutton_in_four_years/

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #2 on: 21 May, 2014, 08:28:42 PM »
Do these bastards ever park considerately?

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #3 on: 21 May, 2014, 10:27:05 PM »
Perhaps the driver WAS disabled? <_>

Cue one of Coco's favourite sayings. ;D
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #4 on: 22 May, 2014, 09:19:36 AM »
The vehicle in the picture is secretly known in the parking industry as a Trojan Horse. The Trojan Horse is commonly offered as a gift to the british people on the pretext that it will keep their children safe. Cunningly hidden in the belly of the Trojan Horse is a parking weasel who steals money from the public without their knowledge.

The Trojan Horse is so named because it originates from Troy.
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #5 on: 22 May, 2014, 12:06:53 PM »
Cue one of Coco's favourite sayings. ;D

OK then.  "Disabled " means those with physical difficulties NOT "Intellectual" deficiencies.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #6 on: 22 May, 2014, 03:01:23 PM »
If "Stupid" was a disability then all of NSL management and $camera car drivers would have a blue badge.  <_>
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 22 May, 2014, 05:38:04 PM »
What BE says is, of course, perfectly possible. It would also tick the diversity box for the Council.