Author Topic: Lake District - Action group forms to oppose parking meters  (Read 2306 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Action group forms to oppose parking meters with public meeting planned

A NEW campaign group has formed to oppose the introduction of parking meters to Lake District town centres from this autumn.

Supporters have distributed posters and flyers in Windermere and Ambleside this week advertising a public meeting.

It hopes to block plans by Cumbria County Council to install new parking rules across the two towns.

One campaigner, Windermere-based Susan Wales, claimed retailers feel ‘angry, upset’ and ‘let down’.

The cash-strapped authority is imposing on-street parking charges on ‘busy high-streets and high-demand areas’.

It will spend £300,000 on installations.

However, before any meters go in, it first has to implement new Traffic Regulation Orders (TROs) following consultations with residents and businesses.

The county council has to save £70 million between now and 2017 which is attributes to government cuts as well as having to raise more revenue for services.

It also believes charging for on-street parking is the ‘right long-term solution for a county like Cumbria’ and would mean ‘smoother traffic flows, more parking in high demand areas and claimed benefits for businesses ‘through an increase in available spaces.’

However, the newly-formed Windermere and Bowness Action Group disagree.

It has arranged a public meeting - 7pm for a 7.30pm start at the Ladyholme Centre in Lake Road Windermere on Thursday June 5.

Among those involved in the group are members of Windermere Town Council, Windermere ‘Shop Doctor’ and former town mayor Bill Smith; Adrian Legge of Windermere and Bowness Civic Society, and local traders.

Windermere resident Dr Robert Judson said there was a lot of ‘anger’ to TROs coming in on Birthwaite Road and Phoneix Way.

Susan Wales said they were expecting a large turnout for the meeting and encouraged people to go along.

“I think people have had enough of these ever increasing charges to park,” said Ms Wales.

“Of particular concern is the effect the proposed charges will have on small main street traders who already struggle to compete with the increasing number of supermarkets and their large free car parks.”

The email address for the group is wabagroup@btinternet.com or by calling 015394 40025.

Coun Keith Little, the county council’s highways councillor, said: “On-street parking charges are the only effective and sustainable solution to help the council provide effective traffic management services over the coming years.”

http://www.thewestmorlandgazette.co.uk/news/11238644.Action_group_forms_to_oppose_parking_meters_with_public_meeting_planned/?ref=var_0

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Re: Lake District - Action group forms to oppose parking meters
« Reply #1 on: 28 May, 2014, 03:22:34 PM »
I wonder if the proposed meters will be accompanied by some zero tolerance wea$els and will the council soon realise how many children are murdered outside the local $chool gate$.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 31 May, 2014, 11:08:15 AM »
It was only a matter of time after the Lake District National Park introduced pay machines in their Car Parks.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #3 on: 07 June, 2014, 04:06:37 PM »
Looks like the local MP may have seen the light. ;D

And look! He's nicked one of our catchphrases.

----------------------------------------------

http://www.in-cumbria.com/home/mp-opposes-parking-fees-1.1141114#

MP opposes parking fees

South Lakes MP Tim Farron has written to the County Council to urge them not to impose planned on street parking charges in parts of the county.

The Council currently has plans to introduce on-street parking charges in Windermere, Bowness, Ambleside, Barrow, Keswick and Kendal. The plan was agreed by the Council’s cabinet earlier this year.

Many businesses in the affected areas have opposed the charges, pointing to the possible impact their introduction could have on sales. Other opponents of the scheme include Lakes Parish Council, who last month passed a no confidence vote in the County Council over the proposed fees.

Mr Farron, MP for South Lakes, said: “Today I’ve written to the leader of the council to ask him to throw out these plans to charge for on street car parking. I believe this proposal is bad for residents, businesses and communities.

“The council has got this wrong. I hope that councillors of all parties will listen and go back to the drawing board.”

In a letter to the County Council Mr Farron asked council leader Stewart Young and deputy leader Jo Stephenson to ‘throw out’ the parking fees plan.

In the letter the South Lakes MP said: “I am extremely concerned that these plans will have a detrimental effect on our towns and local businesses.

“South Lakeland’s economy relies heavily on tourism and attracting visitors to our area. If we continue to treat our towns as a ’honey pots’ for the council to dip into , that will inevitably cause real damage to the area.”

Mr Farron offered to meet with the two council leaders to discuss the issue.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player