Author Topic: West Hull pensioner fined £100 for ‘overstaying car park by three minutes  (Read 1385 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
West Hull pensioner Norman Hunt fined £100 for ‘overstaying car park by three minutes’

A PENSIONER with heart problems has criticised a parking warden who fined him £100 for overstaying by three minutes.

Norman Hunt, 78, who has serious heart problems, says he parked his 12-year-old blue Mazda in the Plaza car park in Hull Road, Hessle, while he visited a nearby shop.

When he returned, he says he found an attendant placing a notice on the windscreen.

Mr Hunt, who lives off Hessle Road, west Hull, said: "I think it is disgusting that someone can charge someone else £100 for overstaying at a car park by three minutes."

According to signage, motorists can park, for free, in the car park, which is managed by AutoSec, for 20 minutes.

But Mr Hunt believes there should have been a period of grace and accused AutoSec of being overzealous.

"According to the ticket, I arrived at 11.21am and the ticket was issued at 11.44am," said Mr Hunt.

"I got to the car just as he was writing out the ticket. I would have thought he would have stopped, but he didn't.

"There was no period of grace offered. He just carried on regardless.

"I have just left hospital, where I spent two weeks undergoing treatment for heart problems. I can't walk very fast.

"For me, and a lot of other people I expect, 20 minutes is not long enough if you're going to do your shopping.

"I only needed a few things but I was in Heron for a good 15 minutes by the time I queued, then I had to walk back."

Mr Hunt claimed the attendant did not appear interested in his explanation.

"I told my doctor about this and he advised me to come to the Mail to highlight it and warn others," he said.

"I am in the process of applying for a Blue Badge because I have real problems getting out and about."

Mr Hunt, who lives alone after losing his wife Jutta eight years ago, says he does not intend to contest the ticket and will pay, but wants AutoSec to accept payment in installments.

He has written to AutoSec but has yet to hear from them. The ticket was issued on April 25.

Mr Hunt said: "It would be bad enough if it was £20, but £100 is ridiculous. I just can't afford to pay £100 in one lump.

"I am a pensioner and that is a lot of money for me."

Many former clamping companies have turned to ticketing after clamping was outlawed in England in October 2012.

Some motorists have ripped up tickets and challenged issuers to take them to court for the money, as previously reported in the Mail.

Parking enforcement companies, acting on behalf of the landowner, would have to specify the basis of the claim and be able to prove to a court that the defendant breached an agreement and is entitled to damages for trespass.

It is possible a court might rule that a £100 fine is unfair and breaches principles enshrined in the Unfair Contract Terms Act 1977.

The Mail attempted to contact AutoSec, using the phone number printed on the ticket, but the call went straight to a recorded message. We left a message, but no one returned our call.

Its website states: "AutoSec provides a professional car park management service for our clients with highly trained, professional staff, visible security, Parking Charge Notices and use of easy, no-hassle online payment service.

"Our staff are professionally trained to monitor our managed estate of car parking facilities. Our mobile patrol vehicles will immediately respond to information received by our client on our 24-hour car park management number."

http://www.hulldailymail.co.uk/West-Hull-pensioner-Norman-Hunt-fined-100-8216/story-21158163-detail/story.html

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player