Author Topic: Helmet cams: Reviews  (Read 5084 times)

Offline Esinem

• Follower
Helmet cams: Reviews
« on: 25 November, 2010, 08:45:31 PM »
I've started this for reviews of helmet cam set ups. I'll kick off with:

AT-26 RadCam

HD helmet cam with cable connected remote and LCD

Web info: http://www.racerecall.com/high-definiti ... -1_13.html

Excellent results. Very happy with it. Easy to use, even in winter gloves, and well made. Over 2hrs at full HD 1080p, 3:30 at 720p and about 6hrs at WVGA on 8Gb (32Gb max).  Can take 5mp/8mp stills. 1-4x zoom in WVGA/720p modes. Can run off 12v and comes with 2 x rechargeables, ext mic, mountings, cables, charger, wireless remote & case.

Less that 5 secs to power up and be ready to shoot. One button recording. You can toggle still/video and the res. Zoom (1-4x) is via two arrow keys. Easy to go thru shot material to review. Can't see the remote is much use on a bike, as the only way to tell if it's recording is the red dot  indicator on the DVR screen and if you can see the screen you can probably reach the buttons.

In default settings, I found the image a little over-bright but I reduced the EV setting a little and it seems more lifelike. However, there are settings for sharpness (3), contrast (3), EV (+/-2), flicker (50/60Hz), white balance (cloudy/sunny/tungsten/fluorescent/auto) and PAL/NTSC.  There is a slight lag with the auto-exposure but it copes very well and the image quality is excellent with good, if a bit over-saturated, colour. The overall result is a very sharp and vibrant image. It copes with night shooting reasonably well, headlights and street lighting is quite adequate. Maybe, even better with the EV back to standard or boosted? Need to experiment. Obviously, low light produces a fair bit of noise but I didn't expect otherwise.

Ran some tests with very varied lighting, low bright sun, shadow/right into the sun etc. It's very, very good. In fact, it showed just how filthy the windscreen in my van really is. It coped admirably with the light changes and the image was very stable on movement (if you have a low data rate, it can get very pixelated).  Image seem pretty good right up to the edges, where it can get very fish-eyed with near objects.

With date stamp on, this is printed in the upper left and does not seem to rely on camera software, i.e. it's still there when downloaded & not all cams do that. I believe that sort of thing is beneficial if footage is the be used in evidence ;-)

There is also a version with a plugged cable. I went for the hard wired 'cos it's cheaper, has less to go wrong/get wet and has a higher data transfer rate. The cable is built like the proverbial brick shitter, so not very flexible, and at 2m long is a bit cumbersome. I think it's just a question of sorting out the mounting. The DVR has a standard camera thread hole in the back. You can get articulated clamp on or sucker mounts. The cam has a quick release and a couple of mounts, e.g. velcro, sticky pad, strap, cable ties. It needs more than just the velcro for a secure mounting due to the stiff cable. I made something to strap the DVR to my arm as bike mounting it means disconnecting when I dismount.

Overall so far? The canine's dangly bits!

I should able to get them for about £150 + £25 shipping. You might have to pay customs/courier admin of £45-£50 max
« Last Edit: 01 January, 1970, 01:00:00 AM by Guest »
Wastemonster City Council can      NoToMob are watching you!

Offline Esinem

• Follower
Re: Helmet cams: Reviews
« Reply #1 on: 29 November, 2010, 08:15:29 PM »
As several members have ordered these, I have put in an order for 5, plus a cheaper 720p fully waterproof unit with an optional remote LCD screen. So that leaves one AT-26 and the latter up for grabs (about £80 + £30 + tax inc shipping)

It looks like we will be better equipped than WCC's vehicles  ;D
« Last Edit: 30 November, 2010, 10:26:27 PM by Esinem »

Offline Esinem

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 08 December, 2010, 11:16:31 AM »
Please note the internal mic has a very limited range, if you need good audio, use the external one!

Offline Esinem

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 09 December, 2010, 09:08:41 PM »
As an experiment, I stuck the last one on eBay to see what it will fetch...£240 already! Don't worry, it looks like I might get another batch if it gets a good price/others want them. Follow the price here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250739038379&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #4 on: 10 December, 2010, 10:14:32 AM »
Quote from: "Esinem"
As an experiment, I stuck the last one on eBay to see what it will fetch...£240 already! Don't worry, it looks like I might get another batch if it gets a good price/others want them. Follow the price here: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&rd=1&item=250739038379&ssPageName=STRK:MESE:IT

So let's get this right. You buy them for £175 from some distributor in the far east, stick it on eblag and immediately the bidding goes up to £240 with two days (at the time of this post) still to go.

Why does the word "entrepreneur" spring to mind? :idea:
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline rs2k

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 11 December, 2010, 07:33:10 PM »
Be very intrested in one of these should my finances improve :) 

Offline Esinem

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 12 December, 2010, 04:48:19 AM »
If the same people order extra cameras, I'll know what's going on ;-)

Offline BailiffHunter

• Follower
    • http://bailiffhunter.blogspot.com/
« Reply #7 on: 16 December, 2010, 01:21:57 PM »
I picked up my Rad Cam today from KS. Many thanks to you both. To save a lot of messing about, what settings do you guys use? Also,I can vouch for the build quality......tough as hell and perfect for out door use :)
« Last Edit: 16 December, 2010, 03:08:10 PM by BailiffHunter »
\"When the facts change, I change my mind\"

Offline Esinem

• Follower
« Reply #8 on: 17 December, 2010, 03:48:39 PM »
Mine's pretty much factory std but I did set it to EV -0.3 as the pic seemed a little bright in harsh sun. Setting screen saver saves battery too.

Offline Esinem

• Follower
« Reply #9 on: 31 December, 2010, 01:33:37 PM »
UPDATE:

I'm most impressed by the audio from the supplied RadCam external mic; although it has a limited range, as would be expected for the type. I used it on the Golden Goose Sq video mounted on the front of my jacket and it was excellent for close by conversations.

Offline BailiffHunter

• Follower
« Reply #10 on: 01 January, 2011, 05:18:11 PM »
What mount are you using mate?

Offline Esinem

• Follower
« Reply #11 on: 02 January, 2011, 08:59:37 PM »
For what? I made a harness to strap the unit to my arm, the cam is velcroed to my helmet and the mic just clips on the harness

Offline BailiffHunter

• Follower
« Reply #12 on: 02 January, 2011, 09:07:29 PM »
Perfect. Ta mate.

Offline rs2k

• Follower
« Reply #13 on: 03 January, 2011, 07:55:51 PM »
Does anyone have one of the rad cams spare ?   how much ?

ty

Offline BailiffHunter

• Follower
« Reply #14 on: 03 January, 2011, 10:11:38 PM »
Quote from: "rs2k"
Does anyone have one of the rad cams spare ?   how much ?

ty

Chat to Esinem mate. They are good quality. About £170 in total.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player