Author Topic: LGA's "Will nobody think of the children?" campaign: Revisited  (Read 2955 times)

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
The LGA and the BPA frequently quote the AXA Insurance Local Road Safety data to support their desire to install ever more CCTV cameras. Whilst AXA is trying to provide a service of a sort, it's findings are continually being misquoted.

The data can be accessed HERE Note that the index has a caveat that is never quoted  - reproduced below

Quote:
* When considering the Index, statistics have been generated by analysing the roads that are located within the 500 metre radius around each British school. Figures take into account all incidents regardless of whether they were in school term times or not.  They also incorporate both child and adult casualties. The child casualty numbers do not necessarily mean children who belong to that particular school, as they could be residents or children passing through the area. Road Safety Analysis used GIS mapping technology to analyse the roads that are situated within the 500 metre radius around each of the 29,142 UK schools. Official Government statistics from the Department for Transport for 2006-2011 were used to compile this road index.
Unquote

Now do the mathematics. A 500 metre radius equates to an area of 0.9 square mile - or to put it another way almost the same area as the City of London! Note also that the figures also incorporate "both child and adult casualties"

So, given that there are 21,783 primary and secondary schools in England and Wales this gives us a total land area of just over 20,000 square miles. Dividing the "shocking" total of 52,000 incidents by the area we can see that there are 2.6 incidents per square mile per annum to both adults and children. A very different perspective from the one portrayed by the "think of the poor children" brigade, methinks!

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Re: LGA's "Will nobody think of the children?" campaign: Revisited
« Reply #1 on: 17 June, 2014, 11:45:42 AM »
Nice piece of research there Coco. :aplude: :aplude: :aplude: :aplude:
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #2 on: 17 June, 2014, 01:04:36 PM »
The truth has been aired at last. Top work sir. I can't believe I've allowed myself to be misled by the parking weasels. I feel such a fool.     
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #3 on: 17 June, 2014, 03:53:14 PM »
I have just looked again at the AXA figures and see that they used a figure of 29,142 schools. Using this figure the incident rate drops to 1.8 incidents per annum for both adults and children.

I also note that there is no definition of an "incident".

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player