Author Topic: More Daily Mail Case Studies  (Read 1276 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
More Daily Mail Case Studies
« on: 02 August, 2014, 07:15:18 AM »
SHOCKING CASES OF INNOCENT MOTORISTS VICTIMISED BY THE PRIVATE PARKING BULLIES

Shocking cases have included a pensioner fined £70 for spending 13 seconds too long at a hospital, a woman fined for lingering at her husband’s inquest and a pregnant woman who rushed into hospital before displaying a ticket in a bid to save her unborn child’s life.
Cancer patients told how they had been given tickets while attending treatments and were then sent threatening letters. We were contacted by scores of elderly readers driven to tears by the car park cowboys – a woman ticketed as she sat in church, a disabled grandfather targeted in an NHS car park despite his blue badge and even an ambulance volunteer driver given two tickets as a thanks for driving poorly patients to hospital.
Today, we reveal more shocking cases of how private car park bullies are punishing motorists all over the country.
Case study one
A blind pensioner who needs a carer to help her around supermarkets received a parking fine from Lidl because she took too long to shop.
Anne Lazell, 73, said the budget supermarket was ‘disgusting’ for ignoring the rights of the disabled.
The former hospitality manageress, registered blind for the past 14 years, needs unpaid carer Heather Dawson, 65, to read out all the labels and prices during her weekly shop.
One afternoon in May, Mrs Lazell and Mrs Dawson parked with a blue badge in a disabled bay at a Lidl in Hadley, Essex, and spent two hours shopping.
Two weeks later, Mrs Dawson received a £90 fine from Athena ANPR because they had exceeded the 60 minutes allowed for shopping. She paid straight away but Mrs Lazell wrote to Lidl pleading for a refund for Mrs Dawson, who also looks after her disabled husband and ill mother. She has not received an apology or a refund.
Mrs Lazell said: ‘It’s disgusting to penalise somebody who has difficulty reading – surely they’ve got a bit of heart.’ Mrs Dawson added: ‘I think it is disgusting. I paid the fine because I hate bills. I thought there was nothing I could do. I felt threatened. There is no understanding or compassion.’
Lidl did not comment.
Case study two
A disabled war veteran was fined for leaving his car outside Argos for five minutes. Cyril Myers, 85, who suffers from spinal stenosis, left the shop as soon as he realised he had forgotten to put his disabled badge in his windscreen.
He was ‘extremely upset’ to find he had already received a £90 fine from hawkish parking wardens. The former furniture salesman from Ilford, who had taken his 18-year-old grandson to an Argos in nearby Beckton to exchange a lawn mower, said the timing on the ticket showed he had received it almost immediately.
Mr Myers said he had suffered sleepless nights after receiving the fine. He sent a letter explaining that he had forgotten to show his blue badge and pleaded to the company, UK Parking Control, to reconsider. The firm has since reduced the fine to £15 – which he has paid. Mr Myers, whose wife died last year, said: ‘Money is tight at my age, every penny really counts. But I had to pay it.
‘I think people my age are worried by the warning that says it could rise to some ridiculous amount if they don’t pay in a certain time.’
UKPC also said it would put ten per cent of the £15 fine to charity. Mr Myers said: ‘I sent them an email saying charity begins at home and I should get the ten per cent.’
UKPC, which runs parking for branches of McDonald’s, Westfield shopping centres, and the NHS, could not be reached for comment.
Case study three
Grandmother Angela Smith rushed to Prince Charles Hospital in Merthyr Tydfil this week with her 21-year-old daughter Abbie, who was suffering from severe abdominal pains.
The young woman was doubled over in agony and there were no parking spaces available. So Mrs Smith stopped on double yellow lines on hospital grounds, making sure she was not blocking traffic and that she displayed her blue badge.
After a distressing appointment, they returned to the car to discover they had received a £60 fine.
Mrs Smith, 52, who is married with two daughters and a granddaughter, was then warned that if she did not pay within seven days she could face legal proceedings. She has now appealed the fine – making clear she only parked as she did because it was an emergency – but has yet to hear back and fears being taken to court. Mrs Smith suffers from spinal stenosis, which has required two operations, and she also cannot walk far without having to stop.
She fears appealing the ticket – from Parking Solutions 24 – will mean she will have to pay an inflated ‘fine’ if the appeal is rejected.
‘It makes me so angry,’ she added. ‘Whilst they are looking at my appeal I am concerned that the seven days will pass in which I can pay the reduced rate and if I decide to appeal further, will they up the rate even more?’ Parking Solutions 24 could not be reached for comment.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2713646/We-curb-parking-cowboys-says-Cabinet-Minister-Victory-Mail-campaign-official-probe-launched-bully-boys.html (Scroll down to view!)

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player