Author Topic: Grandmother hit with £50 parking fine because ticket was upside down  (Read 1280 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Grandmother hit with £50 parking fine because her pay-and-display ticket was stuck on her windscreen UPSIDE DOWN

Janet Gasson, 67, parked up in Newark town centre, Nottinghamshire
     She went to watch her granddaughter perform in a dance rehearsal
     When she returned she was astonished to find the fine on her car
     Traffic warden it was because her ticket was displayed upside down

By Leon Watson For Mailonline

Published: 21:00, 14 August 2014 | Updated: 07:34, 15 August 2014

A grandmother was hit with a £50 parking fine because her ticket was displayed upside down.

Janet Gasson, 67, parked in car park, Newark, Nottinghamshire, while she went to watch her granddaughter perform in a dance rehearsal at the town's Palace Theatre.

She returned to her car 15 minutes before the ticket expired, so was astonished to find the fine on the windscreen.

When she asked the traffic warden why she had been given a ticket, she was told it was because the parking ticket was displayed upside down.

Mrs Gasson, of Balderton, said: 'If I had not run after the traffic warden to ask him I would not have had a clue what I was supposed to have done wrong.

'I had laid the ticket on the dashboard, like I always do. He said it was upside down and that he couldn't read it.

'My granddaughter is only seven and she was upset because she thought I had done something seriously wrong.

'It was outrageous. If it had been out of time then fair enough, but it wasn't. And I appreciate they have a job to do and if it is there then it's a fair kop, but it was.

'I was speechless. I've got to say, it seemed petty.

'The carpark is just down the road from the new National Civil War Centre and it will not leave a good taste with visitors if they are all getting hit with fines for things like this.'

Appletongate car park is owned by Newark and Sherwood District Council.

Its car parks and markets manager, Ian Harrison, said he would expect an upside down ticket to be acceptable as long as it was fully legible.

He said Mrs Gasson could appeal the fine with Nottinghamshire County Council.

Mrs Gasson said: 'The fine said I've got 28 days to appeal, well I did it almost straight away.'

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2725138/Grandmother-hit-70-parking-fine-pay-display-ticket-stuck-windscreen-UPSIDE-DOWN.html

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player