Author Topic: Hounslow PaTAS appeal  (Read 5375 times)

Offline Wallyflea

• Civilian
Hounslow PaTAS appeal
« on: 18 September, 2014, 06:20:42 AM »
Hi. I'm new to this forum, and looking for some support.

Back in December 2012 I visited Hounslow to do some shopping and followed the P signs to a car park in Alexandra Road.

There were no signs at the entrance, or anywhere else, to suggest that it was a pay and display car park, so I was surprised to find that I had a parking ticket on my return. I have lots of photos to prove the lack of signage.

I immediately complained to the council, who said not ot pay the fine, and wait for the notice to owner. I moved house in the meantime, and never received the notice to owner.

To cut a long story short, I appealed to PaTAS, who said that I had not followed the correct procedure, and had not filed an appeal in time. The adjudicator theerefore rejected my appeal against the PCN.

At no stage did PaTAS, or the council, address the fact of whether the PCN was fairly issued, considering the complete lack of signage.

I have requested a review of their decision, in the interests of justice, and am awaiting the outcome.

I have actually taken out a small claims court claim against the council too, but I'm not sure that is the correct route.

Any suggestions or advice would be very gratefully received.

Thanks

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Re: Hounslow PaTAS appeal
« Reply #1 on: 18 September, 2014, 09:19:01 AM »
On what you've said, the only advice I can give is to pay up ASAP as this is rapidly approaching the point where it's registered as a debt against you at the County Court (with costs awarded against you) followed by Bailiff visits (which they charge for) culminating in your car being seized to pay off the (by now) very large debt. Then go and get proper legal advice from a solicitor re. taking Legal Action.

Unfortunately - and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh - this mess is very much of your own making by moving without setting up a postal redirect.

You could also put this up on PePiPoo, where people who have a huge knowledge of the whole system can be found - they may be able to offer better advice.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #2 on: 18 September, 2014, 10:00:34 AM »
Was this a ticket from the council or a private operator?
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 18 September, 2014, 10:31:02 AM »
Having previously worked in Hounslow (on Montague Road, just round the corner from this Car Park) I can tell you it'll be a Council PCN, and that their CEOs are round it like flies on a cow pat.

Offline Wallyflea

• Civilian
« Reply #4 on: 18 September, 2014, 12:29:09 PM »
On what you've said, the only advice I can give is to pay up ASAP as this is rapidly approaching the point where it's registered as a debt against you at the County Court (with costs awarded against you) followed by Bailiff visits (which they charge for) culminating in your car being seized to pay off the (by now) very large debt. Then go and get proper legal advice from a solicitor re. taking Legal Action.

Unfortunately - and I'm sorry if this sounds harsh - this mess is very much of your own making by moving without setting up a postal redirect.

You could also put this up on PePiPoo, where people who have a huge knowledge of the whole system can be found - they may be able to offer better advice.

I should have pointed out that I paid the fine when the adjudicator rejected my appeal.

I did have postal redirect and had informed DVLA. The point is I did not receive the notice to owner. I assumed they had dropped the matter as I have had happen before.

PaTAS, who I now find are funded by the Councils directly from PCN fee levies, did not address the substantive point, that there was no signage, but merely that I had not appealed in time, depsite the fact that I had written to them on several occasions, including the day the ticket was issued.

Thanks, I will take a look at PePiPoo

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #5 on: 18 September, 2014, 04:05:39 PM »
This sounds like the sort of stuff Mr. Mustard has experience with. I think I remember filing a statement with TEC to return it to the appeal stage as being the way forward in these type of cases. Or is that only where it hasn't been paid and charge certificates are being waved about?
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 18 September, 2014, 05:13:00 PM »
I think it's a case of once you've paid, that's your lot as far as TEC, PaTAS and the Council are concerned. That's why I suggested a solicitor.