Author Topic: Chatham Bus Station  (Read 5131 times)

Offline Pandora

• Civilian
Chatham Bus Station
« on: 13 October, 2014, 12:55:11 PM »
I've been caught out by this terrible road layout (I think).  It only happened today, so I haven't received anything yet.

I unwittingly drove through the bus station, guided helpfully(!) by my satnav.  I had no idea I shouldn't be driving through this until it was too late and I couldn't really turn around and go back.  I didn't see any signs drawing my attention to it.  This is the first time I've driven to Chatham in years and I had no idea the bus station even existed.

There was a lorry in front of me, so he must have been using a satnav also.

As and when I do receive the fine, which I am sure I will, should I appeal or should I chalk this one up to me being completely unobservant...?

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Re: Chatham Bus Station
« Reply #1 on: 14 October, 2014, 09:38:47 AM »
I've been caught out by this terrible road layout (I think).  It only happened today, so I haven't received anything yet.

I unwittingly drove through the bus station, guided helpfully(!) by my satnav.  I had no idea I shouldn't be driving through this until it was too late and I couldn't really turn around and go back.  I didn't see any signs drawing my attention to it.  This is the first time I've driven to Chatham in years and I had no idea the bus station even existed.

There was a lorry in front of me, so he must have been using a satnav also.

As and when I do receive the fine, which I am sure I will, should I appeal or should I chalk this one up to me being completely unobservant...?

First things first. What route did you take?
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Pandora

• Civilian
« Reply #2 on: 14 October, 2014, 12:59:01 PM »
Thank you so much for your reply.

I came along the A2 into Strood, over the bridge into Chatham, which I think looking at a map now is the old A2.  I carried on along the A2 and the satnav told me to take a left into Medway Street.  I turned left, but again, looking at a map, I didn't take the lane marked 'All Routes' because I didn't see that it said 'All Routes' at the time and also it looked to me like a bus lane!

I couldn't turn around either because it looked to me as if I'd gone too far and it had become one-way.  It really was a case of damned if you do and damned if you don't by then.

I think there should have been a sign at the junction between the A2 and Medway Street.  Something to draw your attention to it being a bus garage and only for buses, something to make you carry on on the A2 and go around because Medway Street is a large bend and you can't see anything until you get round the bend and by the then, it's too late.

Like I said in my first post, there was a lorry directly in front of me so he must have been using a satnav too.  The bus drivers didn't take any notice of me, they must be used to it I guess.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #3 on: 16 October, 2014, 11:29:28 AM »
Did you turn left or right at Medway Street?
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Pandora

• Civilian
« Reply #4 on: 17 October, 2014, 04:06:02 PM »
Left into Medway Street and then left again actually into the bus station.

PCN arrived today by the way.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #5 on: 17 October, 2014, 05:23:55 PM »
@Pandora

Attached are copies of three adjudications where the motorist had their appeal allowed at the Traffic Penalty Tribunal (TPT) because adjudicators were not satisfied with the signs and lines that were in place at the time. It is a while since we have visited the bus station and I am afraid we do not have any recent photographs or footage.

If they haven't changed anything you can try to rely on the same defence that others used in the attached adjudications, i.e. the signage is inadequate and you didn't see it. The fact that there was a lorry in front of you should also help your case. 

By the way, you may have been following your satnav but if you take my advice you shouldn't try to use that as an excuse. It is the responsibility of the driver to be aware of any and all restrictions/signs/lines, and no adjudicator will take "I was just following my satnav" as an excuse. And quite rightly so in my opinion.

Please let us know what you do and how you get on. If Medway Council are still being naughty we might have to pay them another visit or two. ;)
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player