Author Topic: Wicked Council begin fining kebab van owners  (Read 1152 times)

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Wicked Council begin fining kebab van owners
« on: 11 December, 2014, 05:40:08 PM »
http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/8216-SILLY-BURGERS-8217-Traffic-wardens-ticket/story-24787892-detail/story.html

Traffic wardens now ticket kebab vans in Cambridge

By CambridgeNews  |  Posted: November 28, 2014                By RAYMOND BROWN

Traffic wardens have hit legal kebab vans in Cambridge with parking fines and the owners of dozens of mobile eateries fear a council wants to drive them from the city.

Owners of the vans have told the News they fear their livelihoods will be ruined and families torn apart after Cambridgeshire County Council chiefs reacted to complaints* from residents.

But a Facebook campaign has been launched to save the vans and a 700-signature petition has been signed by Cambridge University professors, students, residents and rival food outlet bosses.

The city’s MP Julian Huppert and councillors are now involved in a campaign to ‘save our kebab vans’.

Mustafa Orhan, who owns the kebab van in Madingley Road, said: “I cannot believe that after decades of a van being here traffic wardens are now giving us tickets. I have had a parking ticket and a warning letter. This is a legal van and we have a licence from the city council and we have to get permission from the highways department and police to trade here. We are very scared that the county council is trying to drive us out of the city.”

Anil Kusanac runs Barnwell Kebabs in Newmarket Road where the business has been for 30 years.  :o

He said: “This is our livelihood. We have mortgages to pay and families to care for. We are very frightened for our living. There are about 30 kebab and burger vans in Cambridge and 100 in the surrounding area. This is a lot of jobs we are talking about. (and thirty pieces of silver for the Council by the looks of it)

“Our customers and the community have supported us and we have had signatures from staff at McDonald’s near our van and Papa John’s Pizzas. We just want to do what we have done for years.

“My van has five stars from the city council. We provide a service to Cambridge as well as employment. I cannot understand why they are trying to get rid of us.”

Dr Huppert said: “I am extremely concerned about this situation because there are people’s businesses and livelihoods at stake here.

“I have been in touch with the county council because I want to make sure that there was proper consultation with these businesses before this decision was taken. The van owners have been advised to go through the county council’s proper complaints procedure and, in the meantime I will continue to push for a resolution.”

Traffic wardens were told to target the vans parking illegally after complaints* from residents.

A spokesman said: “We have received complaints* from the public and other businesses about these vans and trailers and where they have been parking. Our policy and regulations do specifically dissuade these activities and we did inform the mobile businesses that we would enforce. We want to reassure them that we support business in Cambridgeshire  :rotfl: but have to respond to public complaints while making sure the roads flow freely* and parking is available. The council recognises* the difficulties facing these businesses and will work with them and councillors and residents to find a solution.”

<Bsmeter>

In complete contrast to that story, here's another that shows a caring side to the city of Cambridge,

http://www.therecord.com/news-story/5162807-christmas-toys-accepted-as-payment-for-parking-fines-in-cambridge/

CAMBRIDGE — Get a parking ticket in Cambridge over the next two weeks, and you can donate a toy instead of paying the fine.

The city's sixth annual Toys for Tickets program collects donations for the Cambridge firefighters Christmas basket fund.

Awww that's nice, isn't it? Shame it's Cambridge, Ontario. Well it was never going to happen in Cambridge, Weaselshire now, was it?

<Computerbashy>
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player