Author Topic: Payback time? Calls for Kingston Council to refund £120,000 of parking fees  (Read 987 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Payback time? Calls for Kingston Council to refund £120,000 of parking fees for clamping service scrapped two years ago

Kingston Council has been asked to pay back more than £120,000 in parking management fees for a service it has not delivered for two years.

Kingston Federation of Residents has called on the council to hand back money owed to its residents after it failed to enforce exclusive parking bays but continued to take up to £30 a week for the service.

The federation expects this to have affected about 200 tenants and leaseholders at estates across the borough, each who may have paid out more than £600 to the council with nothing in return.

Paul Johnston, chairman of the federation, said: “We appreciate the pressures on the housing service, which is itself undergoing a major reorganisation, but it is unacceptable that after two years, residents are still being charged for a service they don’t receive, and they have still not been refunded.

“I’m sure that if I owed the council hundreds of pounds and had not paid my debts, I would have been in court a long time ago.”

The Government banned clamping unauthorised vehicles in 2012, meaning the council cannot take action over illegally-parked vehicles in bays belonging to tenants and leaseholders.

But Mr Johnston said the council should either guarantee exclusive use of a paid-for parking bay or do the “honest thing” by writing to residents to advise them to stop making payments.

Richard Grosvenor, secretary of the federation, said refunds had been slow and only for a handful who realised they were owed.

http://www.surreycomet.co.uk/news/11564695.Payback_time__Calls_for_Kingston_Council_to_refund___120_000_of_parking_fees_for_clamping_service_scrapped_two_years_ago/

Offline Bazster

• Follower
The Government banned clamping unauthorised vehicles in 2012, meaning the council cannot take action over illegally-parked vehicles in bays belonging to tenants and leaseholders.

:bashy:

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player