Author Topic: Fun with APNR  (Read 10051 times)

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Re: Fun with APNR
« Reply #15 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:09:51 PM »
Attaching a fake plate to a vehicle and passing it off as road-legal would be an offence

As would using a  real reg. no from a vehicle that is registered to/owned by someone else.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #16 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:27:31 PM »
Attaching a fake plate to a vehicle and passing it off as road-legal would be an offence, but getting a fake plate made up and wandering around with it in your hands is not remotely an offence.

I agree entirely. After all it's not your fault if the whole system is automated and produces tickets without any human checks. <Whistle>

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Bazster

• Follower
« Reply #17 on: 09 January, 2015, 04:49:51 PM »
Attaching a fake plate to a vehicle and passing it off as road-legal would be an offence

As would using a  real reg. no from a vehicle that is registered to/owned by someone else.

If you attached it to a vehicle.  What's being discussed here is sticking it to a board and walking around with it.

Offline Bluebird

• Follower
« Reply #18 on: 09 January, 2015, 06:24:37 PM »

On the other hand, if one were to fix a "show plate" on a vehicle that was on private land i.e. in a privately owned car park there could be no offence. There would be no question of trying to pass it off as a road legal vehicle. If it is an offence, how many car manufacturers would be guilty of an offence for fitting dummy plates on vehicle that are on display in many supermarket car parks for advertising purposes?

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #19 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:03:36 PM »

If you attached it to a vehicle.  What's being discussed here is sticking it to a board and walking around with it.

You are, of course, correct - I was replying to a scenario which had the plate attached to a vehicle.

Offline scalyback

• Follower
« Reply #20 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:08:56 PM »
I have not tested it yet, but I suspect that an inkjet 'logo' the shape and size of a number plate, with letters on it, may be picked up by ANPR cams. If this is so, then it is ok, as a number plate has to be reflective, of regulation size, correct font, size of characters etc. Something that you may print out on a bag or tee shirt, is not legally a number plate, as it's not reflective to start, its on a bigger background, may be a larger or smaller size (ANPR has a distance range!), so no way a printed 'plate' type logo can be legally held as cloning a vehicles registration mark.

By the time the law get changed (if it does)......

Now, my next trick is a plate 'logo' printed onto A4 paper and stuck onto one of those stiff clothes type carrier bags with the string handles. Will let you know how it goes.

Council car park research mode initiated... beep, click.. wirrr....

Offline scalyback

• Follower
« Reply #21 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:14:35 PM »
P.S. I don't see anything against displaying the correct plate for a vehicle plus a fake one? or maybe 20-30 fake ones?

I don't know if there is any legislation about that scenario? Anyone know?

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #22 on: 09 January, 2015, 08:17:34 PM »

On the other hand, if one were to fix a "show plate" on a vehicle that was on private land i.e. in a privately owned car park there could be no offence. There would be no question of trying to pass it off as a road legal vehicle. If it is an offence, how many car manufacturers would be guilty of an offence for fitting dummy plates on vehicle that are on display in many supermarket car parks for advertising purposes?

They don't use actual DVLA issued Reg. Numbers and the vehicles are not registered either, which is how they "get away" with it.

Offline Bazster

• Follower
« Reply #23 on: 10 January, 2015, 02:11:03 AM »
Not that easy anyway.  I've removed the actual number plate from one of my (several) motor vehicles (and this was a road-legal plate, which they aren't all) and bicycled in and out of my local ANPR-infested supermarket brandishing it in front and behind of me as appropriate and had not a nibble.

Bloody incompetent scum, will not even issue a fake fine when you want them to.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Re: Fun with ANPR
« Reply #24 on: 10 January, 2015, 12:43:35 PM »
I know how you feel Bazster. I went on a double dipping frenzy around the middle of last year, visiting five weasel infested car parks. Only one weasel, Parking(sh)Eye(sters), sent me a begging letter. Athena ANPR, Highview & CELx2 didn't even bother. To use the words of Gunnery Sergeant Hartman they are just "Unorganised grabastic pieces of amphibian shit."

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #25 on: 10 January, 2015, 02:36:19 PM »
Not that easy anyway.  I've removed the actual number plate from one of my (several) motor vehicles (and this was a road-legal plate, which they aren't all) and bicycled in and out of my local ANPR-infested supermarket brandishing it in front and behind of me as appropriate and had not a nibble.

Bloody incompetent scum, will not even issue a fake fine when you want them to.

It could be that (a) the plates were mounted too high for the ANPR to "see" them or (b) the wea$els did actually view the images before sending their invoice.

Offline Bazster

• Follower
« Reply #26 on: 10 January, 2015, 03:33:55 PM »
Quite possibly.  Equally possibly their second-rate equipment (as blogged about in-depth by the Prankster) simply missed it.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #27 on: 10 January, 2015, 07:09:40 PM »
I'll go with missed it. Four out of five of mine were missed and the plates were where they should have been, on the car. There's a few of us make an effort to get sPeCulative iNvoices but do not receive them. I find it abhorrent that users who have an obvious legitimate reason to be in a car park are relentlessly pursued anyway but what is worse is that, what appears to be, an actual contravention is not picked up. The weasels motives are then very clear indeed. To make as much money as possible by any means necessary whilst the purpose they say they are there for, they are failing miserably. Raising standards my hairy f :o cking a :o se!

As an aside Bazster, the weasels would need to make quite a sizeable investment before their equipment could reach the heady heights of second-rate.  <Whistle>
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Bazster

• Follower
« Reply #28 on: 11 January, 2015, 09:55:43 AM »
 ;D

Indeed.  I too have deliberately double-dipped several companies whilst in a car and not had a sniff.  The weasel infestation was new at the car park where I tried the bicycle trick and I thought it would be a hoot to embarrass them for "fining" a pedal cyclist but it was not to be!

I've also double-dipped PE with my (motor)bikes in the hope they would repeat their stunt of presenting the standard picture as the entry photo and the IR picture as the exit photo, but they haven't gone for that either!

Makes you wonder how people do get tickets!

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #29 on: 11 January, 2015, 12:47:28 PM »
I have the same experience with my local PE infested car park using both a car and a motorbike, but no response.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player