Author Topic: Bath - We'll chop parking fees if elected, vow Tories  (Read 1659 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
Bath - We'll chop parking fees if elected, vow Tories
« on: 31 January, 2015, 02:03:21 PM »
We'll chop parking fees if elected, vow Tories

The Conservatives have said they plan to reduce parking charges in Bath if they take control of the council in May's elections.

The announcement comes after Bath and North East Somerset Council officers rejected a petition calling for reduced charges signed by more than 1,400 shop owners and residents.

It sparked a debate at a full council meeting when it was last discussed in July, and expressed residents and business owners' annoyance at the cost of parking in the centre of Bath.

Council leader Paul Crossley (Lib-Dem, Southdown) said parking charges are reviewed annually and there have been no increases in the current tax year.

"Our parking charges are reasonable, especially when compared to the likes of private sites like Waitrose, Southgate shopping centre as well as other cities," he said.

In 2013 the authority cut fees between 6-8pm in Charlotte Street and removed city centre half hour rates.

The Tories' transport spokesman, Anthony Clarke, said the party would look at longer periods of free parking at Victoria Park, while the cost of evening parking at Charlotte Street would be reviewed.

Councillor Caroline Roberts (Lib-Dem, Newbridge), the cabinet member for transport, stated higher fees would discourage car users in the city – an aim of the council's transport plans.

Mr Crossley added: "We are providing other spaces after knocking down Avon Street car park. I think we have enough car parking in the city centre."

However, the rejection of the petition has disappointed some business bosses in Bath.

Tim Newark, lead petitioner of Independent Shops of Bath, said: "This transport strategy is not only devoted to cutting the use of cars in Bath, but also dramatically reducing the number of parking spaces available, as witnessed by the recent loss of hundreds of car parking spaces at Avon Street."

http://www.bathchronicle.co.uk/ll-chop-parking-fees-elected-vow-Tories/story-25942439-detail/story.html

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Re: Bath - We'll chop parking fees if elected, vow Tories
« Reply #1 on: 31 January, 2015, 02:05:12 PM »
Hmmm. Can't help but wonder whether they might have a change of heart if they get in though.

Cynical?

Moi? <_>
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Re: Bath - We'll chop parking fees if elected, vow Tories
« Reply #2 on: 01 February, 2015, 03:38:29 AM »
Not cynical mate, just experienced. There's a stack of conservative run councils who relentlessly tax farm the local serfs whilst the opposition wag their fingers disapprovingly.

Here's an idea. Promise something you actually intend to carry out if elected. If elected, then honour your promise. Do what you said you'd do. Go on, give it a try, See if you like it.

Until then, there's only one bloke deserves my vote,

http://thepublandlord.com

:aplude:

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player