Author Topic: Free parking provided in North Lincolnshire boosts High St footfall  (Read 2603 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
All day free parking on Saturdays in Scunthorpe, Ashby & Brigg

By Scunthorpe Telegraph  |  Posted: February 13, 2014

SHOPPERS will be able to park their cars free of charge all day on Saturdays in ALL town centre car parks, council bosses have confirmed.

The move, which will cost up to £60,000, will be announced when North Lincolnshire Council unveils its budget for the forthcoming year later this month.

It means there will be no cost to park in any council car park in Scunthorpe, Ashby and Brigg town centres on Saturdays from June.

There is already no charge to park in council car parks in other towns across the region.

The latest announcement comes after it was revealed shoppers will be able to park free for two hours in all council car parks on all other days from May.

Councillors hope all-day free parking on Saturdays will attract more people to High Street areas and boost the local economy.

Council leader Liz Redfern said: “By being extra careful with taxpayers’ money, particularly over the past 12 months, I am pleased to say we will now be able to deliver free car parking all day every Saturday in Ashby, Brigg and Scunthorpe.

“This policy will formally be announced in our budget and will become effective in June this year.

“It is in addition to our programme of two hours free car parking in every car park from May.

“Saturday is a really important day for traders and residents.

“Our plans to extend free car parking are set to continue to improve our economy locally and we believe that this policy will help do just that.”

A trial of all-day free parking was carried out by the council on two Saturdays before Christmas.

High Street traders in Scunthorpe have long campaigned for more free parking.

And Mrs Redfern said she hoped the latest move would complement other council schemes to regenerate the town centre. She said: “We have some really ambitious plans for the town centre.

“The £12 million investment in the University Technology College will do a great deal to bring footfall into the town centre during the week and we can now use free car parking on Saturday to enable residents to benefit from the town centre even more.

“The scheme was first initiated when we worked with the Federation of Small Business on its Small Business Saturday campaign, which we supported in December.”

Mrs Redfern said extending free parking was made possible by the council being more prudent with taxpayers’ cash.

She said this had allowed the authority to prioritise regeneration schemes.

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/day-free-parking-Saturdays-Scunthorpe-Ashby-Brigg/story-20612009-detail/story.html

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Re: Free parking provided in North Lincolnshire boosts High St footfall
« Reply #1 on: 23 February, 2015, 04:19:50 PM »
Last year North Lincolnshire council declared a £568k surplus in its parking account (trust me on this, I have crunched the numbers). This year they have managed to be "more prudent with taxpayer's cash" and decided to dip into this surplus to provide the first two hours parking free and free parking all day Saturday in its car parks.

So the question has to be, why can't the likes of Westminster do the same?
<_>

WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #2 on: 23 February, 2015, 04:46:26 PM »
Free parking in Scunthorpe costs taxpayers £185k but shops benefit

By Scunthorpe Telegraph  |  Posted: February 23, 2015

FREE parking in Scunthorpe has lost North Lincolnshire Council £185,000, but has been hailed a success by retailers and council bosses.

New figures obtained by the Telegraph show more than 828,000 free tickets have been handed out in Scunthorpe since the various schemes were introduced last year.

This has meant a £185,000 reduction in income for the council.

The scheme allows up to two hours free parking in various car parks across North Lincolnshire, including Scunthorpe town centre.

Free parking all day on a Saturday was also introduced in June.

Figures show since the scheme was extended in Scunthorpe in May more than 460,000 free tickets were given out in town centre car parks, including 73,441 in the Parishes Multi-Storey and 169,496 in the West Street car park.

183,202 were given out in the Scunthorpe Market car park.

It was hoped the scheme would boost trade in the town centre, which has seen a wave of closures over recent years.

Council officials had originally estimated the scheme would cost them about £500,000 a year.

Calling the scheme a success, North Lincolnshire Council leader Liz Redfern said: "We never knew how successful it would be. It's been a phenomenal success.

"Parking was a commitment for us when we took control of the council and I am pleased we have been able to deliver on our promise to local people.

"There is a cost to this, but it shows more people are visiting Scunthorpe town centre.

"We know residents appreciate free car parking and it's been a welcome boost in the town centre.

"We have a long-term commitment to free car parking and it's costed in our budget.

"Two hours is a fair amount of time across North Lincolnshire. It gives people choice."

David Aunins, centre manager of the Foundry, said: "The past nine months at the Foundry have certainly been showing signs of recovery.

"Whilst we cannot attribute this to any one factor, along with an improving economy, the free parking initiative may well have helped to boost trade in Scunthorpe.

"We fully back any council-led free parking initiative which supports high street retailers and hope that it continues to attract shoppers to the Foundry."

Tom Stokes, operations lead at BHS in Scunthorpe town centre, said: "It's been beneficial for us.

"It has made a difference. Anything that can bring people into the town centre is great."

Tracey McShane, store manager of Home Bargains, said it has brought more people into the town.

She said: "There's not as many shops near us, but it's certainly made us busier which I think is to do with the free parking.

"If we didn't have it, business in the town centre would suffer."

http://www.scunthorpetelegraph.co.uk/Council-says-free-parking-phenomenal-success/story-26048103-detail/story.html

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #3 on: 23 February, 2015, 06:19:34 PM »
North Lincolnshire Council leader Liz Redfern said: "We never knew how successful it would be. It's been a phenomenal success."

'nuff said

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline scalyback

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 23 February, 2015, 07:41:46 PM »
Westminster council?

They are the 'God' council, to whom all others should bow down and pay homage to. don't seem to give a crap about anyone.

They seem to have the idea that a 'common' tourist's trip to their city will be forever remembered by that person as the high point of their life.

I am fed up as being socially excluded due to no credit card and no way to pay cash to park my bike there... Funny though, they will accept cash to settle a fine for non payment.

I have seen past the personal exclusions, avoidance, under the carpet sweeping at council meetings amongst other things, therefore by thinking they could force me to get a credit card or force me out of the city, my only conclusion is that they are not fit to lick the shit off my shoes.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #5 on: 23 February, 2015, 08:37:13 PM »
This will also make a huge difference to shops that are struggling to survive!  If they manage to stay trading then the Council still get the benefit of Business Tax. Any revenue not coming from parking will be offset by not having empty shops.  WIN WIN! <Thumbsup>
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player