Author Topic: CCTV 'spy cars' banned in bid to curb draconian parking fines  (Read 8110 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower
CCTV 'spy cars' banned in bid to curb draconian parking fines that have driven shoppers from the High Street

From 6 April, parking wardens have to give drivers 10 minute 'grace period'
    CCTV 'spy cars' will be banned in majority of circumstances
    Ministers say measures will prevent unfair parking fines motorists face

By Ray Massey For Thisismoney.co.uk

Published: 09:28, 2 April 2015 | Updated: 09:44, 2 April 2015

New laws to crack-down parking 'cowboys' and councils which rip-off motorists with unfair fines come into force yesterday.

The use of CCTV 'spy cars' has been banned in the majority of circumstances in a bid to rend the tyranny of automated fines landing on doorsteps and being issued in industrial volumes.

And from April 6 parking wardens will have to give drivers a 10 minute 'grace period' when parked in a bay.

Ministers say the package of measures being phased in over the first week of April will prevent unfair fines being levied on motorists for being just a few minutes late back to the vehicle – whether in a paid or free parking space.

The measures aim to stop 'over-zealous' parking enforcement which often forces people to shop in out-of-town centres or online and have been welcomed by motoring groups.

They were approved in the last reading of parking reforms in the Deregulation Bill. Other measures include new powers for parking adjudicators so they can hold councils to account to tackle parking problems such as poor signage at specific locations.

A new right enables residents and local firms to demand that their council reviews parking in their area, including the charges and use of yellow lines.

There are tougher rules against' heavy-handed' action by bailiffs. And there will be an end to fines at out-of-order parking meters when there is no alternative way to pay Guidance will also reinforce the fact that councils cannot by law use parking fines and proceeds to make a profit.

Councils have also been asked to volunteer to trial a new pilot that allows motorists challenging a parking ticket to benefit from a 25 per cent discount on the fine if they lose the appeal.

Currently drivers are only offered a discount on early payment before challenging a ticket.

Professor Stephen Glaister, director of the RAC Foundation welcomed the new rules. He said: 'The majority of drivers who break parking rules aren't being malicious or calculating, they have simply made a mistake. So no wonder landing them with a hefty fine for a minor infringement breeds resentment.

'The current system actively discourages drivers who have been wrongly penalised from fighting for justice, tempting them instead to pay up quickly to avoid further aggravation and the possibility of a more hefty fine later.'

The Department for Transport said: 'The parking measures are a victory for drivers and one of a number of initiatives introduced by the government to support high streets and give local shops a fairer deal'.

It has published revised statutory guidance to ensures that drivers are not fined for parking at out-of-order parking meters, that bailiffs do not use 'overly aggressive action ' and that reinforces the fact that 'using parking to generate profit is prohibited.'

At the same time the Department for Communities and Local Government has published new statutory guidance to ensure that local residents and firms can petition to initiate a formal review of parking policies in their area from the council, with councillors then voting on the action to be taken.

In mid March the Government also signalled a new crackdown on off-street parking cowboys who hand out tickets 'like confetti.'

Communities Secretary Eric Pickles has been given total control of powers to drive rip-off private operators out of business after they were transferred from the department for transport.

The aim is to properly wage war on parking companies who ticket cars on private land, not just in council car-parks.

Heading the list of abuses Mr Pickles intends to stamp out are unfair and crippling parking charges levied against motorists.

Ministers planning to ban parking firms from imposing excessive fines of up to £100 on drivers who overstay in a parking bay by just a matter of minutes. It will also limit hourly charges.

Also under fire is the ease with which 'rogue' firms can gain access to the Government's DVLA driver records including home addresses, unfair terms and conditions in car-parks, and poor signage which entraps unsuspecting drivers.

He also plans to extend the 10 minute 'grace period' into private car parks. The new crackdown follows a campaign by the Daily Mail highlighting the widespread exploitation by rogue parking firms of millions of innocent motorists.

It included evidence of how 'cowboy' parking squads hired by High Street firms are hitting hundreds of thousands of drivers with £100 and using threats to make them pay up.

It also comes as millions of motorists await the outcome of a test case in the Court of Appeal against ParkingEye which challenges the very legality of such charges and which, if successful, could see tens of millions of pounds repaid to drivers who were wrongly penalised.

Also under attack is the ease with which rogue private parking firms have access to the names and addresses of motorists they want to pursue for payments – raking in millions of pounds for the Government's DVLA. Such abuses will be curtailed, say officials.

http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/money/cars/article-3022736/CCTV-spy-cars-banned-bid-stop-threat-fines-drives-people-shop-town-online.html

Offline Overlord

• Follower
Re: CCTV 'spy cars' banned in bid to curb draconian parking fines
« Reply #1 on: 03 April, 2015, 07:25:02 PM »
 :idea:
There is one point that I feel Eric Pickles might have included. Adjudicators should have the power to impose a fine on councils, their contractors and or private parking companies, whichever is appropriate at the time, equal to the fine that they have tried to extort from motorists who have successfully appealed their fine. This should also be backed up by the courts and bailiffs. Maybe this should be aimed at the actual person who has authorised the refusal of the motorists' initial defence.

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 03 April, 2015, 09:57:57 PM »
I think that would have required the whole of TMA 2004 to be repealed which would have taken a lot longer than simply tacking it onto the De-Regulation Bill, which only just squeaked onto the statute books. As the Contractors are employed by the Council and are (presumably) following the Coucils directions, any fines would have to go to the Council, and guess where they'd get the money to pay them from?

Offline Anonymous

• Civilian
« Reply #3 on: 04 April, 2015, 12:38:16 AM »
I think that would have required the whole of TMA 2004 to be repealed . . .

I think you should re-read your "Girls Guide guide to Parliamentary Process" again

. . . only just squeaked onto the statute books.

If you "think" that, I suggest you buy yourself  a new thinking organ - the timing was planned for political reasons. In case you hadn't noticed there is a general election coming up next month.

I hope that the admins/moderators will agree that if you can't talk sense, don't talk

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #4 on: 04 April, 2015, 12:18:46 PM »

I think you should re-read your "Girls Guide guide to Parliamentary Process" again

If you "think" that, I suggest you buy yourself  a new thinking organ - the timing was planned for political reasons. In case you hadn't noticed there is a general election coming up next month.

I hope that the admins/moderators will agree that if you can't talk sense, don't talk

[/quote

The beauty of this forum is we can voice our opinions & ideas right or wrong as it fosters healthy debate. Talking sense is not my strong point but I'm allowed to have a say that's what freedom of speech is all about.  Therefore I do not agree with your last statement Anonymous but don't take personally. 8)
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline judojay

• Civilian
« Reply #5 on: 04 April, 2015, 01:41:54 PM »
Hi Guys.

Can someone clarify whether Mobile Camera cars are still legal as of 1st April 2015.

I have received a PCN today from the council which was from a camera car. Apparently a neighbour of mine saw him park up on a yellow line, get out and take photos of my car.

I thought that they now had to place tickets on your car unless you were in an area such as a school road or clearway or suchlike.

I'm really struggling to find out any details online. Thanks.

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #6 on: 04 April, 2015, 02:13:18 PM »

[/quote

The beauty of this forum is we can voice our opinions & ideas right or wrong as it fosters healthy debate. Talking sense is not my strong point but I'm allowed to have a say that's what freedom of speech is all about.  Therefore I do not agree with your last statement Anonymous but don't take personally. 8)

There is no requirement to talk sense here, but we do "ask" members not to be abusive/insulting to others.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 04 April, 2015, 02:17:24 PM »
My understanding is that the new rules are effective as of 0001hrs Monday 6th.

I find your post a little confusing - the camera cars that are banned from use for parking contraventions have a built in camera (usually on the roof) so there would be no need for anyone to get out of the car to take photo's.

Maybe you could post up the PCN with Reg. No., PCN No., and other personal info obscured - we might be able to help.

« Last Edit: 04 April, 2015, 03:39:56 PM by DastardlyDick »

Offline judojay

• Civilian
« Reply #8 on: 04 April, 2015, 03:12:09 PM »
Thanks Dastardlydick,

Reading an earlier article it suggested that the law came into force on the 1st April. I got my PCN on the 2nd :-)

By Ray Massey For Thisismoney.co.uk
Published: 09:28, 2 April 2015 | Updated: 09:44, 2 April 2015
New laws to crack-down parking 'cowboys' and councils which rip-off motorists with unfair fines come into force yesterday.

I'm hoping that I can appeal, which I have just done. We'll see how it goes.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #9 on: 04 April, 2015, 04:42:07 PM »
Check your PMs Judojay.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #10 on: 04 April, 2015, 04:47:31 PM »
Talking sense is not my strong point…………………….

I do appreciate your candour Pat, but some jobs are best left to the professionals.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player