Author Topic: Parkingeye v Barry Beavis appeal judgement  (Read 19281 times)

Offline Web Admin

• Administrator
  • Follower

Offline scalyback

• Follower
Re: Parkingeye v Barry Beavis appeal judgement
« Reply #1 on: 23 April, 2015, 09:23:36 PM »
Very long with seldom used words...

So in short please... Who won?

EDW2000

« Reply #2 on: 23 April, 2015, 10:37:27 PM »
Parking Eye won, matter now with Supreme Court.

court of appeal ruling makes no sense to me.

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #3 on: 24 April, 2015, 07:34:26 AM »
Makes no sense to any of us.

1) Final sentence of para. 25,
"Moreover, although it would in theory be possible to charge motorists a much more modest amount for overstaying the free period, it would be wholly uneconomic to enforce such charges by taking legal proceedings against them."
Pranky's research has clearly identified that it costs Parking(sh)Eye(sters) £200-£300 to pursue. Court action will never be profitable for these cases, their only purpose is to build a raft of judgements with which to bully motorists with.

2) A coach and horses has been ridden through the unfair terms regs. W:T:F:

3) Parking weasels will make no money at all unless there  breaches so it is in their interest to make terms as vague as possible. The terms, of course, were accepted as prominent by beavis in this case but in the majority we encounter, the lines are well and truly blurred.

4) This has strong implications outside the wonderful world of parking. Banks are now commercially justified in charging £25 for a generic letter (maybe more now), £100 for missed appointments, etc, etc.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #4 on: 24 April, 2015, 10:47:13 AM »
No more than I expected from this out of touch with reality Judge.  He has previous!  <bashy2>
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Virgil

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 24 April, 2015, 11:19:03 AM »
matter now with Supreme Court.
Is this the situation, or rather is it simply that Mr. Beavis has the option to take it there if he chooses to do so?

If the latter, he might need help with funding as I don't imagine that it will be cheap. I'd like to think that there was some wonderful "public interest" body funded by the Government (i.e. our taxes) that would take this apparent injustice on but in fact I think it is down to people like him, us and consumer groups such as "Which" (which has to make commercial decisions at the end of the day).

It might be time to break out the fundraising kit again. Perhaps something like crowdfunding might work here but of course that depends on Mr. Beavis' willingness to devote any more of his life to this particular issue. Is anyone here in touch with him at all?

Offline Coco

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Northampton
« Reply #6 on: 24 April, 2015, 11:36:15 AM »
Is this the situation, or rather is it simply that Mr. Beavis has the option to take it there if he chooses to do so?

If the latter, he might need help with funding as I don't imagine that it will be cheap. I'd like to think that there was some wonderful "public interest" body funded by the Government (i.e. our taxes) that would take this apparent injustice on but in fact I think it is down to people like him, us and consumer groups such as "Which" (which has to make commercial decisions at the end of the day).

It might be time to break out the fundraising kit again. Perhaps something like crowdfunding might work here but of course that depends on Mr. Beavis' willingness to devote any more of his life to this particular issue. Is anyone here in touch with him at all?

Mr Beavis is going to take it to the Supreme Court and he does need help with funding.

Barry Beavis Seeks Funding Here

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #7 on: 24 April, 2015, 04:15:55 PM »
I just put my money in <Thumbsup>

Lets share the hell out of this & get the funds sorted.   <Thumbsup>
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline BGB

• Follower
« Reply #8 on: 24 April, 2015, 04:23:10 PM »
A bit more in the pot from me.

Offline scalyback

• Follower
« Reply #9 on: 24 April, 2015, 08:23:47 PM »
Me too!

Barry is not giving up, so I have chipped in.

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #10 on: 24 April, 2015, 09:56:03 PM »
And me. Let's get the bastards!
 <Thumbsup>

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #11 on: 25 April, 2015, 12:30:41 AM »
Apparently the Bullshit Purveyors Association Ltd have put out a (no doubt gloating) press release re Beavis. Nobody can see it though - their website is down.

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #12 on: 25 April, 2015, 01:15:50 AM »
Please share this on Twatter & your Facebum pages.  Barry is over halfway there all ready.  <Yes!>

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #13 on: 25 April, 2015, 09:52:21 AM »
I'm in.

There are a couple of questions that need answering though.

There were a great many cases stayed at both Popla and in the lower courts pending the Appeal, so when Mr Beavis lodges his appeal in the Supreme Court, will they all be stayed again?

And what about any new cases that are brought before the lower courts? Will they be stayed?
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

EDW2000

« Reply #14 on: 25 April, 2015, 11:27:17 AM »
£4,559GBP
raised by 291 people in 1 day

nice

Supporters of the NoToMob

In order to view this object you need Flash Player 9+ support!

Get Adobe Flash player