Author Topic: Calling bikers; advise please  (Read 4481 times)

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
Calling bikers; advise please
« on: 27 January, 2016, 10:37:52 PM »
Having hardly ridden a motorcycle in 25 years tyre technology has moved on a pace (last proper road bike did have early radials [ZX-10]).

My son (19) has recently taken up riding a bike and I travelled from Romford to Glossop to collect said KTM 125 Duke a 2012 example back at the end of November. Mid-December he started riding it from Romford to Erith over the bridge and back through the tunnel every day and has really been getting into it.

This morning however the third roundabout on the Bob Dunn Way, Dartford in the wet was rather oily and off he came in front of a 40 tonne Polish artic! Fortunately the lorry driver saw him and parked the lorry on the roundabout and lifted him and bike clear :) He was in full protective gear and suffered no lasting injury but a bruised knee and a dented pride. The bike suffered a smashed wing mirror, broken rear brake lever and scratches to the engine bars, bar end and front brake lever. After a call to me and a five minute sit down he went on to do his day's work and rode home.

I'm taking the bike into Hyside for new mirror and brake pedal and they are fitting a new throttle cable at the same time and I'll sort out the road rash on the other parts at the weekend.

It presently has OEM Indian made (tropical climate) rubber front and rear and by all accounts and my experience as well as his now, they are bloody awful, fine in the dry but cold and wet are hopeless.

Help please as to the best for British roads for a machine with a top speed of 70?

Front: 110/70 R 17 M/C 54S TL
Rear: 150/60 R 17 M/C 66S TL

Also please suppliers, fitting, etc. best places and guide prices?

I have been recommended Michelin Road Pilots around £40 each but fitting I have been quoted at £55/wheel!!! Why on earth does it cost so much to fit them?

Cheers all.
Willing to do my bit...

Offline dangerous beanz

• Follower
Re: Calling bikers; advise please
« Reply #1 on: 27 January, 2016, 11:18:49 PM »
Sure that price doesn't include the tyre?

If there is a tourist season...how come we can't shoot them?

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 27 January, 2016, 11:33:43 PM »
Personally, I use Avons and have had no issues.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
« Reply #3 on: 28 January, 2016, 02:08:11 PM »
Bridgestones have always been good to me.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
« Reply #4 on: 28 January, 2016, 05:53:52 PM »

Nope honestly £170 all in for two tyres fitted!

Hyside are happy to fit supplied tyres for an hours labour so £76 to fit both, still seems crazy to me.

Thanks for the tips, keep them coming.
Willing to do my bit...

Offline Boyo

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #5 on: 28 January, 2016, 06:18:31 PM »
I've always found Metzeler (Tourance) to be good on the Tigers that I've had over the years.
Avon and Bridgestone excellent too on a TDM I used to have.
Always had my tyres done at Chasbikes in the past and had no issues and a good price - ride in/ride out -  down on Kennington Road by the Imperial War Museum these days.
I've also found FWR very good and they're a bit further down Kennington Road at Kennington Cross.
"To no man will we sell, or deny, or delay right or justice" - from the Magna Carta

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 28 January, 2016, 11:21:19 PM »

Hyside are happy to fit supplied tyres for an hours labour so £76 to fit both, still seems crazy to me.

I'd have to say that £170 to supply and fit two tyres sounds about right for London. The fitting charge will include a "disposal charge" for the old tyres and £ or 2 for valves.

Offline dangerous beanz

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 29 January, 2016, 01:43:23 AM »

I'd have to say that £170 to supply and fit two tyres sounds about right for London. The fitting charge will include a "disposal charge" for the old tyres and £ or 2 for valves.

I'd be OK with that for new boots on my TDM,  but it seems a lot to me for tyres for a 125cc machine.
If there is a tourist season...how come we can't shoot them?

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
« Reply #8 on: 08 February, 2016, 05:14:29 PM »
Well the deal was done on Friday and two new H-rated slippery Micks were fitted while the lad waited, £180 in the end which is painful but not as much as dripping it in the wet again...

He took it out in the dry on Sunday around Coxtie Green and I later locally and I have to say, a much firmer ride but pleasantly reassuringly planted. He was told scrubbing in would take the best part of 100 miles so by the time he is home tonight it will be there abouts. Looking outside now storm Imogen is blowing a gale and rather soggy so I guess he'll find out if they are better in the wet than the Indian poop that was on there before.

Willing to do my bit...