Author Topic: Sorry mate, I didn't see you  (Read 10734 times)

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
Sorry mate, I didn't see you
« on: 22 July, 2015, 07:25:25 AM »
WARNING! Your under crackers are about to become heavily soiled.

Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Re: Sorry mate, I didn't see you
« Reply #1 on: 22 July, 2015, 12:57:57 PM »
 :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ??? :o <Surrender> ???
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Overlord

• Follower
« Reply #2 on: 22 July, 2015, 08:01:26 PM »
 <bashy2> :bashy: Outrageous!! What' IS wrong with this prat?? There's no excuse for that. If you need to take a wide turn knowing that you're going to end up on the wrong side of the road, you should be taking extra care to make sure there's nothing coming the other way. How could he not see a bike right in front of him?? Perhaps he was looking in his left hand mirror to make sure he didn't clip the curb, or maybe doing something he ought not to be doing. Anyway, the police should have been called. This is a clear case of driving without due care and attention.
« Last Edit: 22 July, 2015, 08:03:42 PM by Overlord »

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #3 on: 22 July, 2015, 08:12:10 PM »
That video is now on the BBC website, so Selco have been well and truely named and shamed.

It is entirely possible that the lorry dtiver genuinely didn't see the bike, as lorries have a lot of blind spots.

The sad fact is, that unless someone was injured, or the road is blocked, police won't attend.

Before the abuse starts, I have driven HGVs for 10 years without incident, and currently ride motorcycles for both private and work purposes.  :)
« Last Edit: 22 July, 2015, 08:20:43 PM by DastardlyDick »

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #4 on: 23 July, 2015, 09:02:16 PM »
Abuse will now commence.  Trucks do have blind spots and a competent driver will check and double check. BLIND SPOT is not a valid excuse for this or any other idiot!  If you are at the controls you are to blame, not the manufacturers for producing blind spots. I drive towing a tailor which caused two massive blind spots, did I wait to hit a cylist or motorcycle?  No I went out & purchased two large extender mirrors. The Blind Spot excuse makes my piss boil!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline javabike

• Follower
« Reply #5 on: 25 July, 2015, 04:39:35 PM »
As Pat says you are in control of the vehicle.
An example - real life. A woman in the UK 'pushed' her car that her husband had parked in a bad spot.
The Police breath tested her and charged her with drink driving. The logic is that she was in charge of the vehicle. Personally I think it is nuts. But it is the law. If you realise you are not fit to drive, then it is best you throw your keys into a ditch as having keys to a car and being in the vicinity of the car means 'drink driving' offence. Sleeping it off in a car whilst having keys to the car is a 'drink driving' offence. The best thing to do is stop anywhere on the road get out throw your keys down a drain and walk home. People may die as a result but you will not be charged with 'drink driving'.
Vincit Veritas - Truth WILL Prevail
!!!!!Never Give In

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #6 on: 25 July, 2015, 05:41:03 PM »

It is entirely possible that the lorry dtiver genuinely didn't see the bike, as lorries have a lot of blind spots.

If he didn't see the bike it can only be because he wasn't looking properly and/or was going too fast to allow himself to check out any blind spots. As Pat says there can be no excuse and I really don't understand why you are trying to make one up for this idiot.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #7 on: 26 July, 2015, 11:22:57 AM »

If he didn't see the bike it can only be because he wasn't looking properly and/or was going too fast to allow himself to check out any blind spots. As Pat says there can be no excuse and I really don't understand why you are trying to make one up for this idiot.

I'm not, but there was a very useful diagram on the BBC website that showed the blind spot created by the 'A' Pillar on a truck of that type, and how a motorcycle could be hidden by it. If someone on here could suggest a method where the mk.1 Human Eye ball can see through solid plastic and metal, then fair enough.
Am I allowed to ask how many people on here have actually driven an HGV round London, and how many investigate Road Traffic Collisions?

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #8 on: 26 July, 2015, 03:03:30 PM »
This one you mean,

Very good Dick. Modern cars have huge A pillars as well due to the side airbags. I have got into the habit of moving my head from side to side while turning to see around the pillar because as you helpfully pointed out, you can't see through it. That aside, the blind spot highlighted in the graphic would only have manifested itself halfway through the turn. Prior to beginning the turn, the driver would have had the opportunity to scan down the side turning through the side window. Watch the video again. clear line of sight from the rider's cam to the side of the cab. Bearing in mind the lorry needed to be on the 'wrong' side of the road into the turn, the driver would have had a duty of care to make the manoeuvre very slowly and eyes everywhere.

To me this is a case of driving with undue care and attention but is only a whisker away from causing death by reckless driving. If it is in fact your job to investigate RTCs then I'd appreciate you inviting the person who gave you that job on here. I'd like a word.

<Smack>
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #9 on: 26 July, 2015, 05:26:47 PM »

To me this is a case of driving with undue care and attention but is only a whisker away from causing death by reckless driving. If it is in fact your job to investigate RTCs then I'd appreciate you inviting the person who gave you that job on here. I'd like a word.

<Smack>

<Yeahthat> <Yeahthat> <Yeahthat> <Yeahthat> <Yeahthat> <Yeahthat>

And yes Dick, I have driven an extremely large vehicle round London. It was called a Routemaster. I had one accident in 2 years and that was when a woman mistook the accelerator pedal for the brake pedal as she approached a t-junction just as I was driving past.

Fortunately the lady was no more than shaken by the incident, but the same could not be said of her car. But that's what happens when you aim a speeding car at the side of a double decker bus.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline BGB

• Follower
« Reply #10 on: 27 July, 2015, 01:35:20 PM »

If the driver cannot see, then he should not proceed with a manoever.

Am I allowed to ask how many people on here have actually driven an HGV round London, and how many investigate Road Traffic Collisions?

I am not qualified to investigate aircraft accidents.  But I know the pilot should not take off unless he can see that the runway is clear.
« Last Edit: 27 July, 2015, 01:37:05 PM by BGB »

Offline BGB

• Follower
« Reply #11 on: 27 July, 2015, 01:38:41 PM »
I drive towing a tailor...

Does he bring his sewing machine?

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #12 on: 27 July, 2015, 06:47:41 PM »
I drive towing a tailor...

Does he bring his sewing machine?

I dress to the left Pat, when will the suit be ready?
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #13 on: 27 July, 2015, 08:03:23 PM »
Like it on the left do you sir? Ooh! suits you sir. Does your lady like it on the left sir? I bet she does sir. Ooh!

Offline 2b1ask1

• Follower
« Reply #14 on: 27 July, 2015, 09:37:38 PM »
Saw some poor bugger get knocked off by Eaton Square this morning by a woman driving a white sprinter box van; he was in a bad way and went into shock whilst an obviously medically trained woman was helping him, no ambulance after 15 minutes just two police cars, the last time I looked over she was pumping his chest, I do hope he pulled through ok!

Shakes you up just seeing it...
Willing to do my bit...