Author Topic: Ealing $chunt 20th August 2015 - Connell Crescent  (Read 21882 times)

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • THE lowest common denominator
Ealing $chunt 20th August 2015 - Connell Crescent
« on: 21 August, 2015, 10:33:42 AM »
We were sent a message by someone called Dan that concerned a honeypot that was producing tens of thousands of pounds of revenue per day for Ealing council. The residents had complained that their road was being used as a rat run by motorists who would cut round by Park Royal tube station on the A40 and go along Connell Crescent (which runs parallel to the A40) to bring them out onto the North Circular Road. This had been happening for years and the residents had understandably had enough and had lobbied the council to do something about it.

Ealing council's solution was to put in a TMO (attached) that prohibits motor vehicles from entering Connell Crescent from the Park Royal end between the hours 3.00pm to 7.00pm. Enforcement was initially done by $camera van, but upon arriving yesterday we found a newly installed Zenco Zengrab static camera attached to a newly installed pole near the entrance to Connell Crescent.

So what we were presented with on arrival looked like, and indeed turned out to be the perfect storm.

Me and Mr Mustard both arrived just before 3.00pm and on the stroke of 3 we deployed our boards. Potential wea$el fodder arrived thick and fast and we stopped counting the number of saves when we reached 105 at 4.50pm (approximately one save per minute). And then it got busier!

We counted about 8 misses, some due to impatient drivers not wanting to stop and ask us what we were doing, but the vast majority because we were talking to the huge number of drivers complaining that they had had up to 7 tickets for using a route they had used for years. What made it worse was that a good number of them were local residents who complained that the council had not let them know exactly when enforcement would start and they had become wea$el fodder themselves.

One in particular was very vocal about the whole situation and complained bitterly that they should not have used the flying motorbike (no entry for motor vehicles) signs with exception plates, but should have instead used no entry signs with exception plates. Having seen the ineffectiveness of the flying motorbike signs at the Hemel Hempstead bus lane, I am definitely in agreement with him.

Our man Dan joined us at about 3.30pm and after watching us in action he decided he would like to have a go at $chunting. He was extremely effective at it and as with all previous $chunters he derived a great deal of pleasure from saving drivers from that sickening feeling of opening an envelope containing a penalty notice.

By 6.25 the rush had subsided and we all decided to head home with that lovely warm feeling of knowing we had done a good job and had seriously damaged the council's income for one day at least. We reckon we saved a total of approximately 200 motorists which would have netted £26,000 in fines if we had not been there.

And I can feel some more $chunts coming on soon, particularly when the new crop of wea$el fodder arrives back from their holidays.

I refer of course to the school run mums and dads.  ;)
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
Re: Ealing $chunt 20th August 2015 - Connell Crescent
« Reply #1 on: 21 August, 2015, 04:20:56 PM »
If you are using the A40 to get to/from this place, please be aware that the new average speed cameras are now live.

I am not implying that anyone on here breaks the speed limit anywhere.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #2 on: 21 August, 2015, 04:33:23 PM »
Me and Mr Mustard think we have spotted the fatal flaw in Ealing council's evil plans.

Brownie points for the first one to spot it (see photo attached).
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #3 on: 21 August, 2015, 06:09:05 PM »
Should it say except and then the times you can do it?
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline Ewan Hoosami

• Administrator
  • Follower
  • Veni, Vidi, $chunti. I came, I saw, I assisted.
« Reply #4 on: 21 August, 2015, 06:17:18 PM »
………………..and we stopped counting the number of saves when we reached 105 at 4.50pm…………...

:aplude:  <Yes!>  <Notworthy>

Great job those men! From general $chunt reports, those numbers are way up there and the Council have really gone for gold this time.

Me and Mr Mustard think we have spotted the fatal flaw in Ealing council's evil plans.

Methinks it's the 'No Entry' sign. That's there to stop Patrick Trouser-Fire's selfish minority from entering Hanger Green from the A40. Unfortunately, it now serves to confuse the selfish minority who are then herded into the lobster pot, thinking there is no entry onto the A40.
Appealing to the council is like playing chess with a pigeon. You might be a chess grand master but the pigeon will always knock all the pieces over, shit on the board and then strut around triumphantly.

EDW2000

« Reply #5 on: 21 August, 2015, 06:39:49 PM »
An expert writes:

The sign in question is design 619 - motor vehicles prohibited.

The associated diagrams are 620 and 620.1.

The lower plate should say

"No vehicles
Mon - Fri
3pm - 7pm"

A sign to diagram 619, 619.1 or 619.2, unlike
the sign to diagram 617, does not have to be used
with a supplementary plate. However, it is rarely
desirable to deny access to premises or land adjacent
to a road, so a plate to diagram 620 (Except for
access) should be used with these signs if the traffic
order permits. If access is permitted for loading by
goods vehicles only, the signs to diagrams 619 and
619.1 should be accompanied by the exception plate
to diagram 620.1. Both plates may indicate the time
of day, the day of the week or the month of the year,
as appropriate, where the order does not apply
continuously or where the exceptions apply only
at certain times.
The plate to diagram 620 may be
varied to show the same exceptions as for the plate
to diagram 618.1 (see para 5.7). Some exceptions are
not applicable when the plate is used with the sign to
diagram 619.2

« Last Edit: 21 August, 2015, 10:59:23 PM by EDW2000 »

Offline DastardlyDick

• Follower
« Reply #6 on: 21 August, 2015, 07:05:44 PM »
I think the No Entry sign is a bit of a "red herring" as I believe it applys to the Red Route not Connell Crescent.

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #7 on: 21 August, 2015, 07:31:06 PM »
None of you have got it yet. I'm betting BGB will get it once he has a look.  ;)
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Pat Pending

• Global Moderator
  • Follower
« Reply #8 on: 21 August, 2015, 08:00:14 PM »
EDW  I really do not understand the remark about Mr Mustard or wether it is called for!
Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways - Beer in one hand - chocolate in the other - body thoroughly used up,  totally worn out and screaming "WOO-HOO, what a  ride!!"

Offline BGB

• Follower
« Reply #9 on: 21 August, 2015, 08:33:02 PM »
Sign 619 can be accompanied by plates to diagram 620 or 620.1.  These signs include the word “Except” and list the times which the restrictions do not apply, rather than listing the times when it does.

Offline Bluebird

• Follower
« Reply #10 on: 21 August, 2015, 08:43:14 PM »

Could TV celeb and glory hunter, so called "Mr Mustard" have told you that? I doubt it.

The above is an outrageous attack on a loyal member of this forum who has contributed far more to the activities of the NTM than you have.

EDW2000

« Reply #11 on: 21 August, 2015, 09:10:02 PM »
It was obviously a joke but clearly I misjudged you being in possession of a sense of humour.

There is patas cases on this sort of restriction. They are not enforceable unless they are situated correctly and there is an advance warning sign.

See Lott v Camden

and

https://consultations.wearecamden.org/culture-environment/grafton-road-timed-closure

« Last Edit: 21 August, 2015, 09:47:22 PM by EDW2000 »

Offline The Bald Eagle

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #12 on: 21 August, 2015, 10:40:05 PM »
It was obviously a joke but clearly I misjudged you being in possession of a sense of humour.

May I respectfully suggest you stop digging. Your comment about Mr Mustard cannot be seen in any way as a joke.

And to suggest I have no sense of humour is equally offensive. I know what is funny and your attack on someone you have never met is not funny.
WE ARE WATCHING YOU

Offline Kill Switch

• Administrator
  • Follower
« Reply #13 on: 22 August, 2015, 11:10:20 AM »

If it's comedy you're after, why don't you piss off to a comedy forum, instead of having a pop at someone you've never met.  I have met him by the way, and he doesn’t deserve any kind of criticism, let alone a personal attack.
A word to the wise ain't necessary - it's the stupid ones that need the advice

EDW2000

« Reply #14 on: 22 August, 2015, 12:02:56 PM »
I removed the comment but clearly its time for me to leave the forum

good luck